What's new

Trail welder

On that note, this thing is still really cheap ($150), and only weighs 15lb. I wonder how well it would run off of my HF 2000w generator. Would be a pretty slick trailer or RV toolbox setup.

Not sure if you remember brents knuckle being broken at Fordyce.... I think you may have been put to bed by that point.... but we were basically using the same machine and we could almost get 1/4" of weld before it tripped the breaker. Right when the weld would get almost hot enough to penitrate it would give up

1. I was a rolling brownout at that stage of the evening.
2. That was 9 years ago, did inverter welders really exist?

Edit: Harbor freight reviews have plenty of people running it off of a 3500W generator, or a 20A receptacle, but no reports of a 2000w generator.

Last edited:
I would just get a bun trailer welder and run a dual battery setup over a cheap HF mig. I did use a Hobart 140 off a HF generator at camp one day to weld my bumper back on and it did the trick.

I figure between the bun I carry, a map gas torch, someone in my group having a welder on their trailer, someone in the park campground having a higher power welder, or using the off-road parks welder I should be able to tackle anything at this point lol

Edit: Harbor freight reviews have plenty of people running it off of a 3500W generator, or a 20A receptacle, but no reports of a 2000w generator.

Not sure if inverter welders existed or not but I had a tiny harbor freight welder that bairly fit a 1lb spool. Maybe the size of your wifes shoe box

What abouy modifying an old cordless grinder to also use the same jumper cables and keeping that in the case also RunningProblem
I’ve been thinking about this and it could work. The motor only has two wires and a switch. It probably looks like this.

$30 grinder you could buy with any discount they offer.

I would use this connection. It’s an SB 50 just like the one on the welder.

The Apache 4800 case is on sale if you’re a member at Harbor Freight. Usually $60 and it’s now $45. Perfect since I just finished up the project.

I think the 3500 is more popular for motorhomes which might explain the usage of it. I can’t run my air conditioner in summer on 2,000 watts unless I put on a soft start capacitor.

This guy is welding with a battery pack and says it doesn’t suck.

The Predator 2000 is about 13 amps output at 120 volt and 1,600 watts continuous. If you have access to the smaller welder I’d say give it a shot and report back. I saw a small video of a guy using the welder on Fordyce with a battery pack because it’s what they had.

Top Back Refresh