What's new

Trail welder

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
One day, I'd like to pick up a premier power welder unit. But for the money, on the rare occasion, I can stick shit together with 2 batteries.

I looked at the wire feed trail welders. But for $350, you still need 2 batteries and are just pulling a trigger instead of burning rod.

I wondered if there was a kit with the proper clamp and battery connections since we've all don't the jumper cable thing and know it's hold backs. There is a kit, it's $250 for a couple leads and clamps. Maybe not horrible or that much more than piecing shit together. But I have some random bits already.

I have an extra rod clamp, from a chicom plas/tig/stick thing I bought. Or they're pretty cheap.

I also have some extra battery cables from diesel trucks that should be more than big enough. Plan is to just add a battery clamp to the current welding lead, tun one of the battery cables into the connection between the 2 batteries, the add the ground clamp to another battery cable. Seems pretty simple?

Guy at work mentioned maybe adding a disconnect switch to the cable between battery's, sounds like a decent idea, but I'm thinking just pulling the ground clamp off is just as good? Anyone have any wierd incidents happen where a shut off would be handy?

I'm also trying to figure out the best eye protection. A regular hood is pretty bulky. I'm thinking maybe those gay old school torch goggles, with a 11 shade lense and some type of burka mask deal attached to it to keep my soup coolers from getting burnt. :laughing:

Then throw it all in a HF or Husky bag.

Anyone have any tips or want to point out holes in my idea? :flipoff2:

Back in the day I built a welder out of an alternator. Ran that on my rig for years. Used it once.😜 Worked for that time. Been so long I can’t remember how to change it to weldernator. Seems like you took out the exciter diodes. Then ran a twelve volt switched power to fire it up. Faster you rev’d the motor, the hotter the stick got.
I know you’re talking two batteries. But it’s something you might consider if you have space to run an extra alternator.

Back in the day I built a welder out of an alternator. Ran that on my rig for years. Used it once.😜 Worked for that time. Been so long I can’t remember how to change it to weldernator. Seems like you took out the exciter diodes. Then ran a twelve volt switched power to fire it up. Faster you rev’d the motor, the hotter the stick got.
I know you’re talking two batteries. But it’s something you might consider if you have space to run an extra alternator.

I had forgot about that, that would be even more awesome. I do have more than 1 rig, so the little 2 battery kit would still be nice to have.

The main rig I'd want it on has a perfect spot where an ac pump would go.

The last time I saw a rig with one it was an old generator though? Like before alternators :laughing:

If he reved the engine up, it would burn hot enough to just cut stuff with the rod :laughing:

Lots of different ways to do this online. Some guys using a small Briggs to power it, and some isolating their regular alternator from the vehicles charging system.

I'm only interested in a totally separate alternator. The easiest way from what I read is to use an externally regulated alternator with no regulator.

There are some other things to wire in that I'm not quite sure I understand yet :laughing:

This was the simplest write up I found

I attached the link for pictures. With that $16 electrode holder and some of those clamps you can have a quick and easy color coded setup for cheap.

I used to have a cobbled together stick setup for my trail welder, but ended up getting a Bun after listening to them on a podcast. Seemed like cool people, and I realized overhead stick welding with two batteries will probably bring the suck. The bun setup is lighter and takes up less room in the truck as an added bonus. I wanted a Karnage welder but I'm cheap.

Bunch of new age fuckers in here shitting up a thread about building something with $$$ kits :flipoff2:

That karnage welder is pretty cool, I had forgotten about it also. :laughing: and as I mentioned, I have multiple rigs, so thats a better set-up. Especially when I'm out in the middle of no where with only one battery.

I don't see the big advantage to the bun besides wire is a little easier than stick? For $350 I can practice a few lbs of rod though :flipoff2:

Any one else make a weldernator?

I don’t want to derail the thread as this is about tech on making your home DIY setup but maybe my opinion on each welder will help determine which route to build.

I have the premier. It’s expensive, I got it cheap for being on UA when they were a sponsor.

I think it is the most versatile machine there is. You can cut, weld, have 110 power. Welding is endless. You can stick, tig or mig with certain attachments.

You can weld virtually any material and you can weld for hours. Honestly, I am not skilled enough to use the machine to its fullest.

The bun welder made the ready welder irrelevant in my opinion. It’s the same thing but less than half the cost. Sure, the ready welder is slightly more refined and more compact but for the price I don’t think it’s worth it. I have the bun welder and for the price I don’t think you can build one much cheaper.

The karnage welder is badass. I don’t have one but like how it’s not dependent on 2 full size batteries unless you deplete the 2 motorcycle sized batteries in the suit case. It’s kind of expensive but I get why when you factor in the components.

With all that said I’d DIY a karnage welder or a premier setup. Karnage is a mig gun attached to 2 motorcycle batteries. They make it fancy with plugs to charge the batteries at home, on the trail via 12v outlet or battery directly. You can make it simpler then that for a DIY setup.

Premier I have no idea how to replicate but think it would be badass if you could.

I wouldn’t bother replicating a bun/ready welder. Price wise I think it’s almost worth it to buy a bun welder.

Lastly, making a trail friendly stick setup should be the cheapest and easiest.

I’ve done the 2 jumper cables and 2 batteries with welding rod. Cables are too long, they suck for holding rod, etc. I’d get an electrode holder make that a decent length with 2 gauge wire. A short 1-2 ft jumper wire to connect the 2 batteries with quick connects and then a decently long ground.

So back to the actual tech. I think you can make the stick version easy and it’s transferable.

I think building a karnage is doable, probably more costly but also transferable from rig to rig.

Alternator welding is cool but I have no idea how to do that

I don’t want to derail the thread as this is about tech on making your home DIY setup but maybe my opinion on each welder will help determine which route to build.

I have the premier. It’s expensive, I got it cheap for being on UA when they were a sponsor.

I think it is the most versatile machine there is. You can cut, weld, have 110 power. Welding is endless. You can stick, tig or mig with certain attachments.

You can weld virtually any material and you can weld for hours. Honestly, I am not skilled enough to use the machine to its fullest.

The bun welder made the ready welder irrelevant in my opinion. It’s the same thing but less than half the cost. Sure, the ready welder is slightly more refined and more compact but for the price I don’t think it’s worth it. I have the bun welder and for the price I don’t think you can build one much cheaper.

I'm honestly not seeing what is so great about the bun, you still need to pull 2 batteries out right? The premier, as you mentioned, can run indefinitely off one rig and also run 120v tools.

The karnage welder is badass. I don’t have one but like how it’s not dependent on 2 full size batteries unless you deplete the 2 motorcycle sized batteries in the suit case. It’s kind of expensive but I get why when you factor in the components.

With all that said I’d DIY a karnage welder or a premier setup. Karnage is a mig gun attached to 2 motorcycle batteries. They make it fancy with plugs to charge the batteries at home, on the trail via 12v outlet or battery directly. You can make it simpler then that for a DIY setup.

Thats one idea, I do have a deep cycle SxS battery I'm not using, picking up another wouldn't be a big deal. Although I'm not sure how long they would last welding.

Premier I have no idea how to replicate but think it would be badass if you could.

Thats basically the weldernator I'm talking about. Without a voltage regulator, people are getting 100+ volts. Some even wire in a 120v outlet.

I wouldn’t bother replicating a bun/ready welder. Price wise I think it’s almost worth it to buy a bun welder.

Lastly, making a trail friendly stick setup should be the cheapest and easiest.

That was my original plan when I made this thread, especially since I think I have basically everything to do it already.

I’ve done the 2 jumper cables and 2 batteries with welding rod. Cables are too long, they suck for holding rod, etc. I’d get an electrode holder make that a decent length with 2 gauge wire. A short 1-2 ft jumper wire to connect the 2 batteries with quick connects and then a decently long ground.

None of this is new tech or revolutionary, so the goal is to reinvent the wheel, and save less than $100, but to say you built it. Just like your IFS 4runner build, it's the same stuff people have been doing forever, but your shit was welded together in your garage so now it's something new:flipoff2:

I'm sure if you searched the bowels of 4x4wire or another old archive from the late 90s, you can find a writeup how to build a premier setup using nothing but parts from home Depot and an old alternator. Been done in the jeep world a bunch back then.

None of this is new tech or revolutionary, so the goal is to reinvent the wheel, and save less than $100, but to say you built it. Just like your IFS 4runner build, it's the same stuff people have been doing forever, but your shit was welded together in your garage so now it's something new:flipoff2:

Didn't say it was anything new, but with all these old articles disappearing, or pics going dead, it's nice to reup. Not to mention there are still small improvements people have made.

I have $9 into it so far, so that's $241 cheaper than the kit I found and $341 cheaper than bun. The most I'll need is a few battery clamps.

What "build"? i couldn't find anyone running 35s with a 2" lift and not hacked out fenders, so as small as it is, there is something new:flipoff2:

I'm sure if you searched the bowels of 4x4wire or another old archive from the late 90s, you can find a writeup how to build a premier setup using nothing but parts from home Depot and an old alternator. Been done in the jeep world a bunch back then.

I have been, there is a million different ways its been done like I said. I still think it would be cool to have some data here. Links, or a simple write up.

I'm also trying to figure out the best eye protection. A regular hood is pretty bulky. I'm thinking maybe those gay old school torch goggles, with a 11 shade lense and some type of burka mask deal attached to it to keep my soup coolers from getting burnt. :laughing:
I was thinking something like this:

I ended up putting a 10 shade in torch goggles but when I actually used my bun welder on the trail I was welding up a punctured trans pan and I had to tack tack tack with flux core in the dark so I just closed my eyes. The fixed shade was worse than useless for that but If i needed to weld up a frame or something...

Possible power source.

4x4toyotatyler might have some insight
Haha he doesn't want to hear anything I have to say 🤣🤣

I love my premier, yes its expensive, and I have to weld near the vehicle, but so worth it to not have to pull batteries. Makes it more fun to help others on the trail. Plus, I welded for almost 2 hours straight out in moab this year... that would have murdered 2 batteries. Although I also burned up my premier alternator by not turning on the tool switch this year too and lost power to the whole rig and probably killed 2 batteries anyways haha

There are leather welding hoods on Amazon for pretty cheap that you can put different shade lenses in.

EDIT:
So you're going to bring a second battery with you as part of your trail welder?

Last edited:
I was thinking something like this:

I ended up putting a 10 shade in torch goggles but when I actually used my bun welder on the trail I was welding up a punctured trans pan and I had to tack tack tack with flux core in the dark so I just closed my eyes. The fixed shade was worse than useless for that but If i needed to weld up a frame or something...

Thats perfect, I'll probably grab one of those. I'm sure it will suck, but compromises and all.

Haha he doesn't want to hear anything I have to say 🤣🤣

Only accurate thing you've ever posted :flipoff2:

I love my premier, yes its expensive, and I have to weld near the vehicle, but so worth it to not have to pull batteries. Makes it more fun to help others on the trail. Plus, I welded for almost 2 hours straight out in moab this year... that would have murdered 2 batteries. Although I also burned up my premier alternator by not turning on the tool switch this year too and lost power to the whole rig and probably killed 2 batteries anyways haha

There are leather welding hoods on Amazon for pretty cheap that you can put different shade lenses in.

Not arguing anything against the PPW. But considering it's a once a year or less tool, I think a cheaper alternative will work.

Thats perfect, I'll probably grab one of those. I'm sure it will suck, but compromises and all.
I was about to pull the trigger on one and then remembered that the yellow die in leather welding gloves bleeds into my skin when I sweat and I'm pretty sure that this thing would have me looking like a minion:lmao:

I've been looking at the $175 HF spool gun and converting/adding battery clamps to it. I saw a post on OFN that said you can run the spool motor on a couple of AA batteries. But I have 15 other projects I need to finish first.

I was about to pull the trigger on one and then remembered that the yellow die in leather welding gloves bleeds into my skin when I sweat and I'm pretty sure that this thing would have me looking like a minion:lmao:

You must be white as a ghost :flipoff2:

I've been looking at the $175 HF spool gun and converting/adding battery clamps to it. I saw a post on OFN that said you can run the spool motor on a couple of AA batteries. But I have 15 other projects I need to finish first.

$175 is already half way to the bun, not sure I see the savings when you're all done.

Unless you can use it for other stuff too?

You must be white as a ghost :flipoff2:

$175 is already half way to the bun, not sure I see the savings when you're all done.

Unless you can use it for other stuff too?
The buns are amazing people. Always doing everything they can to go out of their way to help people on and off the trails. If you want to get to know them a little more you can check out episode 286 of snailtrail4x4 podcast. You will just have to keep muting your volume whenever I'm talking..... which is a lot 🤷🙃

And then I can claim to annoy you in 2 different mediums! #winning

The buns are amazing people. Always doing everything they can to go out of their way to help people on and off the trails. If you want to get to know them a little more you can check out episode 286 of snailtrail4x4 podcast. You will just have to keep muting your volume whenever I'm talking..... which is a lot 🤷🙃

And then I can claim to annoy you in 2 different mediums! #winning

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool product. For me, I think I'll either diy some budget shit, or go straight to the premier power welder.

One day, I'd like to pick up a premier power welder unit. But for the money, on the rare occasion, I can stick shit together with 2 batteries.

I looked at the wire feed trail welders. But for $350, you still need 2 batteries and are just pulling a trigger instead of burning rod.

I wondered if there was a kit with the proper clamp and battery connections since we've all don't the jumper cable thing and know it's hold backs. There is a kit, it's $250 for a couple leads and clamps. Maybe not horrible or that much more than piecing shit together. But I have some random bits already.

I have an extra rod clamp, from a chicom plas/tig/stick thing I bought. Or they're pretty cheap.

I also have some extra battery cables from diesel trucks that should be more than big enough. Plan is to just add a battery clamp to the current welding lead, tun one of the battery cables into the connection between the 2 batteries, the add the ground clamp to another battery cable. Seems pretty simple?

Guy at work mentioned maybe adding a disconnect switch to the cable between battery's, sounds like a decent idea, but I'm thinking just pulling the ground clamp off is just as good? Anyone have any wierd incidents happen where a shut off would be handy?

Then throw it all in a HF or Husky bag.

Anyone have any tips or want to point out holes in my idea? :flipoff2:
So check it out. Ready welder you only need 2 batteries and the welder. A power welder, you need a whole rig and the welder...along with labor adding the other alternator and the box under hood, and hooking up the throttle control. Are you going to run 2 batteries anyway? I do.

So check it out. Ready welder you only need 2 batteries and the welder. A power welder, you need a whole rig and the welder...along with labor adding the other alternator and the box under hood, and hooking up the throttle control. Are you going to run 2 batteries anyway? I do.

I never have had to run 2, but am not opposed to it.

Top Back Refresh