What's new

things we don't see in homes, but should

Eh. We both thought it was funny. Hasn’t happened since.
We were filming the toenail pulling scene in the first season of Ozarks. That little cramped room was jampacked with crew so two of us had to hide under the kitchen table to operate the blood rig. The actor was having problems pulling the prosthetic toenail off and we had to do multiple takes. I after one of the many failed attempts my boss said “oh for fucks sake“. His phone chimed in immediately and said “Kenny watch your language”! No one in the room set a word.

That shit is always listening!

That‘s badass for that scenario. Personally, I hate ours, my wife bought one several years ago and I threw it in the trash. Another one with a screen has shown up since that she had some reason for. I’ve unplugged it several times when we have been in a perfectly quiet house and it just starts talking to me. Fuck you alexa.
I refuse to have one of those intrusive P.O.S. in the house. :mad3:

While i tend to agree with you on that one, I do still let my phone in the house so theres really no difference.
Shit's off on my phone too. I have no voice activated stuffs in my house at all.

How to announce you are from the south. Back when I lived in Florida, I would have agreed with you.

Walls around car storage are mandatory. Wind. Wind and snow. Wind and rain. Wind. Did I mention it is windy here sometimes? I dont have a garage, but I have a 40x60 barn turned workshop and place to hide from the wind.
Covered storage is good enough for me. I don’t want my shop work anywhere near my autos…. Unless I’m working on them in the shop.

Speaking of Christmas lights.. how about permanently installed built-in leds in the eves.. Christmas colors during the holidays.. white for exterior lighting
I've been thinking about doing this on e for lights and leaving them year round. I refuse to pay for them to be out up and don't want to do the ladder work myself. :homer:

we have lights strung up on the soffits year round. :laughing:

i thought everyone with a garage in Ca lived in it ?

I had a 2 car garage truck did not fit, a proper 2 car should fit 2 pickups with room to open both doors at the same time with out hitting each other or the wall and deep enough for junk.
The standard spec house garage should be 24x24 not 20x20. There is no reason since the age of the SUV/ 4door truck takeover, to keep building these bullshit ass 1 3/4 car garages. Best case scenario 99% of people park one vehicle in there and use the other side for junk storage.

And I'm fine with carport instead of garage AS LONG AS I HAVE A SHOP. The main thing in the south is just keeping vehicles out of the sun and weather. Garage is nice for security if you live in town, but having things in a warm(ish) room isn't necessary.

we have lights strung up on the soffits year round. :laughing:
If I lived in the woods in Vermont I'd leave them up too! :flipoff2:

Though getting up at 0530 to shovel snow the past several days before the wife takes the boy to daycare and packs it into ice has me kinda reconsidering living in snow country.... :laughing:

Along the same lines...

TV over the mantle. I DESPISE it. I fucking hate looking up towards the ceiling to watch TV. Sitting on the couch, eye level is say 40". The bottom of the screen needs to be no higher than that.

Current living room is a great layout, but TV is over mantle. I could move it to the long wall, but that would ruin the layout in every way, and there's no way to have couches or chairs that makes sense.

100% agree. Tvs belong at eye level.

i thought everyone with a garage in Ca lived in it ?

I had a 2 car garage truck did not fit, a proper 2 car should fit 2 pickups with room to open both doors at the same time with out hitting each other or the wall and deep enough for junk.

My garage in CA had the washer/dryer, water heater and furnace out there. But was still the standard 20'. Fuckin useless. You could park in there or do your laundry. Never both.

it totally is. This time of year I wish I could tie the remote start of the truck into that routine too. Have it fire and start warming up while I’m on my way down to jump in. Even without that though, I guarantee that routine saves me a good minute and a half at least getting out the door for a call. Doesn’t sound like much, but on a fire or medical seconds count if it’s severe enough.
Linear actuator (controlled by a wifi connected relay) to push the remote start button?

I agree with the no garage.

I want a covered drive through breezeway that will fit three vehicles side by side, with the house on one side and studio apartment on the other.

Dog washing station also located on the house side with direct access to the mud room/pantry.
Fine as long as you don't have snow or excessive rain and don't mind your tools being open to be taken by whoever wants them...
1671549695471.png

Do you often transport medium sized livestock in a crate? :laughing: JFC thats gotta be the biggest dog crate I've ever seen. :laughing:
He is the dog Warden, gotta be able to pickup random strays and hold them until their owner is found.

Aaron Z

Outdoor hot water hose bib next to the cold, maybe with a mixing valve.

I have two of those. Theyre just a vertical mount slop sink faucet. The spout has hose bib threads on it. It goes through the wall right above the sink in the garage and the one in the basement. Instant electric water heater for the garage. Its awesome for washing the boat or anything for that matter. I dont know why more people dont do it.

I think somebody needs to name a dog alexa an take that thing to the park. Tell the dog to do some shit, then watch all the nerds geek out an try to figure out how they can control their dog via phone too

Alexa sit, alexa fetch blah blah. Would be awesome

Oh, a garden hose or some sort up on the 2nd floor. We've got a giant humidifier upstairs that takes five gallons that needs filling once a night. be nice to have something larger than a milk jug to fill then transfer it over to the machine. just roll it in, fill it up, and run it. like tie something into the toilet feed or something.

Oh, a garden hose or some sort up on the 2nd floor. We've got a giant humidifier upstairs that takes five gallons that needs filling once a night. be nice to have something larger than a milk jug to fill then transfer it over to the machine. just roll it in, fill it up, and run it. like tie something into the toilet feed or something.
Just get a whole house humidifier?

Just get a whole house humidifier?
eh, its a bit more work than what I want for a couple months out of the year.

Do you guys not have water jugs larger than a gallon up there in the woods ?

1671562024677.png
ya, now try to get one to fit into the bathroom sink to fill. :flipoff2: I'm also the V.P. of Lazy. I'm not filling one downstairs to lug it upstairs. :laughing:

ya, that's sort of what I was thinking. a tee off the toilet feed. I know ways to get it to work. was just saying, this is something you don't typically see in a house but should.

piece of pvc pipe slash cut on one end
rainguttering the faucet straight into the dehumidifier thingie

1671549695471.png

Do you often transport medium sized livestock in a crate? :laughing: JFC thats gotta be the biggest dog crate I've ever seen. :laughing:
azclan beat me to it. But yeah, I’m the town animal control officer (among other things, firefighter, appeals board member) this crate was purchased by the previous ACO. Makes sense when you never know what size or how many dogs you may have to round up and secure. On one of the lower shelves there I also have my ACO gear bag with my bite gloves, clipboard, bowls, dog treats, badge, etc in it. I get maybe one call a month so I find it better to not lug this shit around in my truck all the time.

Linear actuator (controlled by a wifi connected relay) to push the remote start button?

Fine as long as you don't have snow or excessive rain and don't mind your tools being open to be taken by whoever wants them...

He is the dog Warden, gotta be able to pickup random strays and hold them until their owner is found.

Aaron Z

not a bad idea, though would be in the way when I go to get in. Something with some sort of relay would be trick, but not sure how I’d handle the fob detection.

and I don’t hold the animals. I pick them up and take them to the small animal clinic/kennel in Ellsworth where they will chip scan them and try to contact the owners.

Bathtub? And one of those slip over the spout hoses?

Top Back Refresh