What's new

things we don't see in homes, but should

I need something a little more up to “code”. Not sure that would fly with my wife.
Hell that one of Sceep is fancy with its gravity fed flush system. I gotta spray mine out with the hose

Attachments

• 92B4B68E-640F-4350-9023-131306DBD17E.jpeg
    92B4B68E-640F-4350-9023-131306DBD17E.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 44
I built a half bath in my garage. It's awesome.

The hydrant in the garage is for other uses. I don't have one, but I am working in a house that has one and it is retarded that there isn't a drain.

Half bath would be even better! Yeah, a central floor drain so you could wash vehicles indoors would be mint.

Next garage, I'd want a dedicated spray bay for washing vehicles year round and definitely a full bathroom, and a bunch of other nice things like that...

That‘s badass for that scenario. Personally, I hate ours, my wife bought one several years ago and I threw it in the trash. Another one with a screen has shown up since that she had some reason for. I’ve unplugged it several times when we have been in a perfectly quiet house and it just starts talking to me. Fuck you alexa.
So full stop funny about that, being a Star Trek nerd, I’ve set the vast majority of our Alexa devices to wake to “Computer” instead of Alexa. So once in a while when watching Tv and someone on the show or movie says the word “computer” you will hear the awake chime. Usually it’s smart enough to dismiss itself when a command doesn’t follow. Though there was one occasion when the wife and I were relaxing in bed in the evening and watching Star Trek Voyager. Character on the show walked into the room and said “computer, lights” and actually turned off the lights in our bedroom.

So full stop funny about that, being a Star Trek nerd, I’ve set the vast majority of our Alexa devices to wake to “Computer” instead of Alexa. So once in a while when watching Tv and someone on the show or movie says the word “computer” you will hear the awake chime. Usually it’s smart enough to dismiss itself when a command doesn’t follow. Though there was one occasion when the wife and I were relaxing in bed in the evening and watching Star Trek Voyager. Character on the show walked into the room and said “computer, lights” and actually turned off the lights in our bedroom.
Fuck. That. Shit.

until the dog learns how to "fill its own bowl"

and you only find out 8hrs later that it has been running since you left

I could easily put one in, and I kinda want to, but that scenario (in general) keeps me from doing it

I
It's a living room, not a theater. Interact with people

You don’t watch news, sports, movies, or series with your family? Do you have a table in your house to eat and play games, talk at?

The living room hasn’t been used regularly for talking to guests in 80 years. The purpose has changed. Our guests sit at the table or island.

Water spigot in the garage, which is fairly common, but I have never seen one with a drain under it.
I have that with Hot and cold. It was built in the 60’s

Outdoor shower for me.

I have done it hunting and something about cool weather, hot water. and watching the stars while cleaning your nads is just peaceful.
I have hot and cold water on the patio so it won’t be hard to do.
an outdoor shower sounds amazing

You guys don't have rv's/toy haulers/campers with outdoor showers?
Bus gets parked next to the slab in front of the wellhouse/shed so you can stand on the slab and shower off. It's freaking great.

Reactions: IGT
You don’t watch news, sports, movies, or series with your family? Do you have a table in your house to eat and play games, talk at?

The living room hasn’t been used regularly for talking to guests in 80 years. The purpose has changed. Our guests sit at the table or island.
There is a 65" tv in my living room that rarely gets plugged in. When the Christmas tree isn't taking up space there is a coffee table that is the center of the furniture. I get the creeps thinking about a TV being the focal point of a room we spend so much of our free time in.

No garage, it's just an overpriced place to accumulate junk.

Attached 2 vehicle carport and a separate shop with 14ft doors
I agree with the no garage.

I want a covered drive through breezeway that will fit three vehicles side by side, with the house on one side and studio apartment on the other.

Dog washing station also located on the house side with direct access to the mud room/pantry.

1671475251721.png

Poor man's lift.
Our farm in VA has this in the end bay. It's super handy. The wall in front of it is a mirror, so you don't misjudge pulling in. You can board it up when not using it. The morning after you arrived for a visit, you were in the garage with grandpa changing your oil and making sure your vehicle was ready for the return trip.

Also had an in ground tank with handpump. It was work, but you got a free tank of gas for the ride home.:smokin:

I want a covered drive through breezeway that will fit three vehicles side by side, with the house on one side and studio apartment on the other.

Dog washing station also located on the house side with direct access to the mud room/pantry.
No way I could go without a garage. It was mandaTory for me in CA to have a place to work on my shit. It was even more mandatory here in Maine where I now have a monster 2 car with an upstairs space and an attached covered carport. Plenty of room to work on my shit, place to park the vehicles in the winter so I don’t have to wake up and scrape ice and snow and shit off of them, etc. being enclosed allows me to heat it in the winter too if I want or need to work on stuff out there so I’m not freezing my nuts off the whole time.

Definitely.

I can't tell you how many houses I've looked at in the Phoenix area built after the mid 80's that had a "two car garage" that you couldn't actually park 2 cars in unless they were both the size of Mini Coopers. I bought a laser distance meter when shopping houses to get a real measurement on how big rooms (including the garage) were. Smallest "2 car garage" was just under 19' wide and about an inch over 19' deep, most were within 6" of 20x20.

Agreed, they're way too small for anything less than a couple of Minis. (I'm in QC by the way.). Mine's a "three car garage," but it's so narrow that I wouldn't dare put my truck next to the Explorer. The kids wouldn't be able to get in without bashing the shit out of my doors. But the jeep sits back in the third spot where the garage narrows.

Thats no shit. Hell we bought the current place because of the garage. I easily spend 10x more time out there than in the house. (and still don;t get shit done :BlackFO2: ) House is for cooking and sleeping.
Yep. This monster was a big selling point for me on this house. My truck sits in the first bay. Wife’s car in the second, and aired down to 2 PSI my Jeep just fits in the covered carport. Pole barn across the parking area houses the quads, lawnmower, golf cart, and so on. And now that upstairs space has been converted and set up as my studio space for my home business. Since the garage is so massive, my studio is too at 875 square feet. Plenty of space for my machines and supplies and such and then some.

No way I could go without a garage. It was mandaTory for me in CA to have a place to work on my shit. It was even more mandatory here in Maine where I now have a monster 2 car with an upstairs space and an attached covered carport. Plenty of room to work on my shit, place to park the vehicles in the winter so I don’t have to wake up and scrape ice and snow and shit off of them, etc. being enclosed allows me to heat it in the winter too if I want or need to work on stuff out there so I’m not freezing my nuts off the whole time.
i thought everyone with a garage in Ca lived in it ?

I had a 2 car garage truck did not fit, a proper 2 car should fit 2 pickups with room to open both doors at the same time with out hitting each other or the wall and deep enough for junk.

My garage is fine for the bikes. the wagon...fits, but not with all the other stuff going on in there.

truck is 4' too long and 6" too high. :homer:

Stand alone shop only.

Fuck working out of a garage connected to the house…. Just ask Skrewy

i thought everyone with a garage in Ca lived in it ?

I had a 2 car garage truck did not fit, a proper 2 car should fit 2 pickups with room to open both doors at the same time with out hitting each other or the wall and deep enough for junk.
Yeah the 2 car we had in Ca wasn’t a true 2 car at all. And with all my tools and shit in it it didn’t even fit one most of the time. The one we have now is a true two car with a ton of extra space. Even with all my tools, workbenches, etc in it we can park both vehicles no problem, including my crew cab Ram 1500. There’s even a couple of feet left to walk comfortably around the front of it without squeezing thru. Nice wide wall between the doors has allowed me to put my tool chests and shelving back to back to divide the bays. Also have a bonus mezzanine for longer term storage for shit I don’t use super often or seasonal stuff. I’ve used the space under the stairs effectively too. My blast cabinet is tucked away in the back corner and I keep my welders and tube bender and shit under there too. I fucking love this garage.

AD380E25-4232-4585-9CCA-DDF1195BC8EB.jpeg
C410FB4B-DD5C-4552-BA0C-001C9B9F1CD3.jpeg
0B3F639F-A628-49D4-A0DD-24264FC13B06.jpeg

How to announce you are from the south. Back when I lived in Florida, I would have agreed with you.

Walls around car storage are mandatory. Wind. Wind and snow. Wind and rain. Wind. Did I mention it is windy here sometimes? I dont have a garage, but I have a 40x60 barn turned workshop and place to hide from the wind.

1671549695471.png

Do you often transport medium sized livestock in a crate? :laughing: JFC thats gotta be the biggest dog crate I've ever seen. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh