What's new

The PAINT thread!

Deleted Member

Whole vehicle, quarter panels, cages, fenders... whatever!

Let's share some knowledge for those interested (This includes ME, because I am certainly no pro!).

I have painted to date about 25 vehicles with a variety of paints (though I am really partial to single stage urethanes/ enamels for older restorations) and have learned quite a bit over the years, but always love to learn more.

So let's get into the tools!

Air compressors~
Air~ Air~ AIR! My compressor/s set up are pretty modest as painting goes... I have 2, 33 gallon compressors run in tandem. Both are off the shelf older Huskies that have managed to keep up with me for quite a while. For most painting applications that are sizable, like a whole vehicle you need VOLUME! The more the better. For most whole vehicle sprays you need 60 gallons of clean, dry air. And did I mention volume? Getting the most volume to the gun is more than important. I run only 3/8" or bigger hoses for paint. My hard lines are 1/2" black pipe, and each compressor piped in to a separate line that tee into a main one. WHY? It's best to run at most a 25' 3/8" air line with 3/8" fittings for paint... to much constriction = poor volume = poor atomization through your gun.

So some basics for air requirements... most guns are going to require 9cfm or so to atomize correctly. And, they require a significant volume of air to roll through a whole car in a pass. Obviously this isn't true for just a panel or a repair of smaller area, and sometimes it's best to do the vehicle in pieces (pending on some factors). It boils down to this: 60 gallons or so in a single tank or combination of tanks with a minimum cfm of around 8-12cfm. They do sell some guns that require lower cfm's I have tried and have done a pretty decent job ~

Eastwood comes to mind Eastwood Concours 2 - Single HVLP Paint Gun Kit in Aluminum Case

On that note...

Paint guns~
I have tried about 6 or 7 guns that have gotten the job done well, and a couple that just plain sucked. Ya don't have to spend huge money for a decent gun either. There's tons of opinions and a million reviews out there to sift through. My experience with higher dollar guns has been both good and meh. Believe it or not I really like the Spectrum HTE from harbor freight. I just shot some single stage through one on a friends ride and the results were as good as a devilbiss or sata. GREAT gun for the money! Basically a SATA knock off that's pretty well made. As a bonus some of the SATA internals will work with it. :grinpimp:

Even the black widow is a pretty decent gun for the money...

For base coat clear coat you will be looking at a 1.3-1.4 tip (cap and needle). Primers are gonna get a 1.7 to a 2.0 tip (pending on type of primer, self etch, epoxy, poly surfacer, 2k surfacer. filler and etc.).

It isn't necessary to have a dedicated gun for primer and one for paint... provided you have a set up that will accept different tips. I do prefer a gun for both however just for ease of maintenance. My current set up for priming is an eastwood concours pro or sharpes fx3000 (the fx3000 is also a workhorse for single stage paints or base/ clear with the ability to accept different tips!).

Larger tip for the finex3k

As for painting I use the Spectrum mentioned above or a couple of other guns I have... the fx3000 and an old sata that is getting close to retirement. Whatever gun you opt for just make sure it's A) in your budget, B) capable of laying a fairly decent finish. My experience is that high dollar doesn't always mean quality finish. Like mentioned I have a better run with the Spectrum thus far than many other higher dollar guns. Again though, I am no pro... but have definitely laid some paint and am always willing to learn more!

I did pick up a HF purple gun several years back just for kicks... at 15 bucks, why not? At least just to get some practice. :laughing: I gotta say... it isn't the worst gun I have tried. For quickie small jobs it works, but it makes you work sooooo much harder for decent results. To hard. For wheels, or some smaller pieces (bumpers, roll bars and whatnot), what the heck- why not?

Paint~
There are literally gobs of vendors to pick from. Single stage, two stage, three stage systems... there are a lot of opinions on the brands, types and etc. I have gone through 6-700 dollar set ups and down to 120 bucks for a gallon of stuff. Base / clears tend to cost more, especially once you get into the metallics, candies and custom mixes.... And vendors for these are EVERYWHERE. Some good, some ok and some harder to spray right than others. I tend to shoot a lot of older vehicles, so I typically find myself using single stages more often. House of Kolors, PPG, Dupont, Custom shops, Eastwood and even the TCP global brands. All have worked pretty decent to be honest. All paint systems come with a tech/ spec sheet with instructions and it's pretty hard to get mixing ratios screwed up if you are going by the tech sheet/ instructions. Most even give a gun guidance that explains cap pressures and tip sizes recommended. The important thing is to stay within your budget and recognize what needs to go where. For a restoration job that's a bit higher end I tend to stick with a known brand that works for me over the years. The lower end or budget beaters? Like that toy or old pickem up you are just gonna scrape on everything? Rattle can it and just send it. :laughing: Or, get the lower cost brand like TCP or something- these types of mix can be had for 125-170 bucks for a gallon and some hardener. Not to shabby!
That's all I got for paint... Though I am sure we could kick this around a bunch more.

Lastly...
PPE~
Personal protection when painting is a must. Especially with the urethanes! Isocyanates will definitely ruin your day... and these are found in 2k primers, clears, and any urethane base product. At a minimum when I paint I have a tyvek suit and a full face respy with organic vapor cartridges. Like so:

Even when I spray acrylics/ enamels I still use the respirator and suit, it's just habit.

It isn't necessary to have a full face, but I wear glasses and it sucks having to clean paint off em after I shoot. A half mask is fine too, and somewhat cheaper. I use mine enough that I just invested in the full face.

Ventilation! I have three good size fans for my home brew garage paint booth set up. It's pretty much what I consider the bare minimum for painting inside. I have sprayed in a rented booth, my home shop and outdoors under the right circumstances (more bugs and dust nibs! :laughing:)

At the very least, have good airflow AWAY from your project. I can't stress this enough, even though it's a pretty common sense thing. Nobody needs a build up of flammable vapor taking them out via kaboom or inhaling it. :homer:

Should we add body work to this train wreck? :homer::laughing:

Jump in and add some! Tips, tricks, lessons! Or whatever I missed.

Bring it~

Last edited by a moderator:
9B27E282-A081-48E3-A8DB-A9C1D97C73C4.jpeg
I am going to try painting a TJ windshield frame tomorrow. With this stuff. Wish me luck. I bought the two gun kit from Devilbiss. 7 1/2 hp compressor thru a aftercooler plus a desiccant dryer.

9B27E282-A081-48E3-A8DB-A9C1D97C73C4.jpeg
I am going to try painting a TJ windshield frame tomorrow. With this stuff. Wish me luck. I bought the two gun kit from Devilbiss. 7 1/2 hp compressor thru a aftercooler plus a desiccant dryer.
DeVilbiss starting line set up? Let us know how it works out!

Can't go wrong with most dupont paints... and thats a decent base coat to paint with. :grinpimp:

I like the guns you got actually... regulator at the gun shoots best at 27-28 psi with trigger pulled from my experience. Should get about a 9" fan in a () football shape, NO specks bottom or top with a 1.3mm tip.:beer:

I've painted mostly ag equipment, OTR equipment, a couple of race cars, pulling trucks, and industrial equipment.

Like the Martin Senour paint from NAPA as it's readily available where I'm at and it seems to have consistent quality.

Specifically, I like the Commercial coating stuff, and as this is an 'off-road' forum I think these coatings are a good solution, though color selection is somewhat limited. Holds up well, has higher color solid so it covers better with fewer coats, seems to not sag as much as 'heavy' paints usually do, durable to sun and rock/enviromental damage. Did a grain truck frame about 7 years ago with the stuff, which gets operated on gravel or highways covered in salt. Still looks great (after you wash it of course).

I've painted with Graco, Devilbliss, and chicom. Honestly, if you don't paint often, I'd just buy a new chicom gun set every time you paint and toss them. I noticed they don't take to cleaning well, but do paint pretty good for the cost, and most people can't clean a gun well enough to let set on a shelf for a year between jobs (or sometimes a day between jobs:lmao:).

I'd go gravity feed on the gun with any modern paint system, I think almost everything is formulated to flow best through a gravity feed HVLP now anyways. I've got a great Devilbliss gun that's probably 40 years old, in great shape, but only seems to paint well with shitty hardware-store oil based or farm supply paint. I bought a chicom hvlp gravity set from napa on sale for about $80 a few years ago, paid another $15 for the stand, and have done a half-dozen jobs with them and had satisfactory results.

Honestly though, when it comes to wheeling rigs, I just rattle can it, but I'm not into looks much. I find when I need to change something its easy to touch up, though with the recent prices of good aerosol I think I may pull out the gun to do some of those jobs too.

Something I started using recently for undercarriage and bumpers is hardware store playground paint. Will paint over rust (and oil, and dirt), goes on thick, and is very UV, impact, and rust-resistant. Locally it's about $35-40/gallon and it dries quickly too (can't have the kiddos getting paint on them I guess).

United States of Build on youtube had some good informative videos on using Rustoleum paint and other similar paints. I took his advice and added some Japan drier to some alkyd enamel paint I sprayed on my service truck and had good luck with it. I of course also added some of the catalyst hardener stuff too.

5B9326C2-3EE9-44C3-AF9F-F83FE75E5B6A.jpeg
Base coat on, one spot questionable but so far so good. Yes I am using the finish line set of guns.

image.jpg

Clear done looks good for the first time with real paint

Looks good man! :grinpimp: How did the clear lay down out the starting line? Not to much orange peel? Even if there is some, with a few good coats laid on it's an easy cut and buff. :beer:

The clear laid down nice with no orange peel. Happy with the results for a first timer. I have sprayed a couple gals of tractor supply paint and rustoleum paint this year and I am happy with the guns.

Not a ton of experience, but I painted my cruiser last year. Devilbiss starting line guns, big compressor, Hf compressed air dryer, nice and light poly air line, Nason single stage paint. Worked out mint, great finish right out of the gun.

Having the big compressor and air dryer were the keys to my job working well I think.

Not a ton of experience, but I painted my cruiser last year. Devilbiss starting line guns, big compressor, Hf compressed air dryer, nice and light poly air line, Nason single stage paint. Worked out mint, great finish right out of the gun.

Having the big compressor and air dryer were the keys to my job working well I think.
Yup... all about the volumes of clean, dry air and decent gun that lays the paint down smooth. I like Nason single stage too. Acrylic urethane 4:1?

Yup... all about the volumes of clean, dry air and decent gun that lays the paint down smooth. I like Nason single stage too. Acrylic urethane 4:1?
Sounds correct. Pic of label to be sure.

IMG_20200912_151235.jpg

so I've been looking at getting a HVLP gravity gun, I don't paint large things like an entire vehicle, I mostly paint smaller parts, mostly for rust protection. Probably won't be spraying clear coats. Would a touch up gun be what I need? Or just get a regular one?

I've got a decent air setup now, 60 gallon, I don't know how to measure how dry the air is, but I don't see vapor shooting out anymore :lmao: after adding a cooler and water separator before the tank, and an additional water separator before my hose reel.

I really don't like painting all that much, but I get tired of shaking rattle cans, having them cut out 1/2 way full, small coverage, and so on. And I've also been disappointed by how easily my painting scratches down to the primer or metal. Not sure if that's just a rattle can thing, or if it's a technique thing.

As someone who paints not all that often, will the "hassle" of using a proper gun setup outweigh any of my complaints about rattle cans? Specifically getting a paint coating that is more durable? I don't care about the visual quality that much, I'm not painting show room stuff and probably won't be shooting clear.

Last edited:
dnsfailure its really up to you what the bigger annoyance is. I hate rattle cans, but if you are going to the expense of paint gun paint, the time to do it right adds up.

As far as dry air goes, I just use the disposable in-line filters that screw on before the gun to take care of what a water separator doesn’t. If you were doing it for a living it wouldn’t be sufficient but it’s fine for occasional use with non-exotic paints. Just throw it away every time you start a new job.

IowaOffRoad time isn't really a factor for me, almost everything I work on is my own projects, and I've already accepted the fact that everything I work on takes forever. :lmao:.

And I've already become used to waiting a week or two for my spray paint to REALLY dry and become not so fragile. So I just know that when I paint, anything that I just painted I won't be using for a little while.

Good tip for the disposable inline filters. How do you tell if you need additional water filtering? Is there a way to measure? hold an air gun wide open up to a piece of cardboard for a minute or so and see if you get a wet spot? or something like that?

dnsfailure to be blunt... just buy an hvlp or the spectrum hte (seriously, for the money it's a top notch gun~ I would pit it against any of my higher dollar guns ANY DAY). Ya really don't need to spend big bucks on a spray gun to get pretty dam good results. What it really boilss down to is understanding the tools you are working with... You already have air volume, and apparently some dry/ clean air. You are pretty much there. The disosable filters are 3 or 4 bucks and basically cheap insurance. I prefer this type: https://www.amazon.com/Beduan-Seper...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They tend to last quite a bit longer and are easy to blow out and reuse.

This type is basically the one and done type:https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global-D...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

As for a really great spray gun with all the right perks, I can't stress enough how impressed I am with the spectrum hte:

It's 115 bucks right now on sale and imo it works as well (if not better for some cases) than my 400 dollar Iwata or devilbiss guns. With the 1.3 tips I would shoot anything from single stage to base clear and even rustoleum enamel stuff (though rustoleum is basically like spray... paint it takes FOREVER to harden and dry). For an out of the gate pick I would opt for that gun specifically.

Sure you can get a cheap 20 dollar purple gun from HF, but it is soooooo much harder to work with, even if you have been painting for a long time. For a primer gun find an el cheapo 1.8 tip gun and spray away... you are gonna sand it anyways. Plus it's a good thing to practice with before you actually put down more valuable paint.

You know when you have water in the line because it shows up directly on the paint and is unmistakable when you see it. Best aproach is to bleed down your compressor often and keep an inline filtration system like so right off the compressor:

I run that one and it satisfies my needs easily for painting... the desiccant can also be regenerated by baking it. It's reusable for a looooong time.

The cheaper option would be fine too... for about 45 bucks HF sells an equally reliable 2 stage filter.

Ya don't have to spend crazy money for great results, but ya will spend enough to get decent results. It's more about practice, like all things. And I realize for just small jobs like a fender or some wheels it's appealing to get a "touch up" gun... it may make sense for actual touch up, but if you want to hose down a fender or anything bigger you are gonna kick yourself because it's going to take foreber and not come out as well. I mainly use a touch up gun for an area around 12 to 20 inches in diameter or less. And most come with a pretty small tip, so you get a small fan (spray area).

And there is literally a huge difference in rattle can vs. spray (especially when it comes in the form of laquer or enamel based spray cans vs paints that require a hardenr or urethanes). The enamels w hardener added or urethanes are far more durable than most rattle can paints. Although I will say, I have rattle canned a few trucks with good results... enough I wasn't ashamed to take em out and bang them up some... then just break out the ol can and touch it up. :grinpimp:

Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
dnsfailure i think flecker answered your questions far better with much more experience than I :laughing:. I seriously bow before your painting knowledge.:beer:
I’m guessing bodywork is is/was your profession? I’m just hobbyist level that’s done just enough of it to get paid occasionally.
Thanks for the hardware recommendations too.

If you get fisheyes in your paint as you spray or as it cures, then you have oil/water in your air and need more filtration.

C4199FE6-3A6C-4B27-A348-EC0280126C6E.jpeg

I really like the 3M Accuspray product.
Many orifice sizes as well as cup sizes.
Used them for mold release spraying in automotive industry for years and the results were very impressive. NAPA carries them.

As stated before in this thread, clean oil and water free air is the ticket.

My $.02

john

I hate painting.

I needed something to paint my jeep's roof white as getting cooked in a black XJ sucked.

I used traffic marking paint from Lowes. Best thing ever. Go on thick (just pour and spread it around...), dry to touch FAST (15 minutes fast) and don't peel or chip despite little to zero prep work, seriously. I used some of it on my trailer's steel deck. I painted directly over rust, dirt, sand, whatever and couple of years later it's still there exactly how I half assed paint it. :grinpimp:

C4199FE6-3A6C-4B27-A348-EC0280126C6E.jpeg

I really like the 3M Accuspray product.
Many orifice sizes as well as cup sizes.
Used them for mold release spraying in automotive industry for years and the results were very impressive. NAPA carries them.

As stated before in this thread, clean oil and water free air is the ticket.

My $.02

john
Damn! That’s on the high end of what I’d call hobbyist grade gun price, but I love the concept. How difficult is those spray cartridges to clean? I don’t a setup like that myself, but I think I want it. :grinpimp:

I hate painting.

I needed something to paint my jeep's roof white as getting cooked in a black XJ sucked.

I used traffic marking paint from Lowes. Best thing ever. Go on thick (just pour and spread it around...), dry to touch FAST (15 minutes fast) and don't peel or chip despite little to zero prep work, seriously. I used some of it on my trailer's steel deck. I painted directly over rust, dirt, sand, whatever and couple of years later it's still there exactly how I half assed paint it. :grinpimp:

Now think about how nice it would have gone on had you done the bare minimum and power washed it.

dnsfailure i think flecker answered your questions far better with much more experience than I :laughing:. I seriously bow before your painting knowledge.:beer:
I’m guessing bodywork is is/was your profession? I’m just hobbyist level that’s done just enough of it to get paid occasionally.
Thanks for the hardware recommendations too.
Nah... I'm just like you! :grinpimp: Just a hobbyist, amatuer painter. I'm just old. :laughing:
I do enjoy it (the painting part (the body work is just the crap ya go through until the actual fun part of painting, lol), and have a couple dozen + vehicles under my belt with more to come... I have seen some pro's in action and it really is an art.

:beer: back at ya!

Yah, putting down paint and seeing a fisheye really blows... from my experience when ya see one it's typically one of a few things. Water, Oil, or a surface imperfection that was already present before ya got started. Having an ultra clean surface prior to the start is crucial to the end result, no doubt.

My method is to wash with soapy water, sand, blow down, clean with solvent (wax and grease remover, isopropyl alcohol, acetone in some cases), wipe down with lint free towels, then right before I put down primer/ paint hit it with a tack cloth to remove any dust particles (these are cheap at Home Depot/ Amazon in the big packs). Good idea to open it up and let em breathe for a bit though.

I like these ones for final wipe~

Nah... I'm just like you! :grinpimp: Just a hobbyist, amatuer painter. I'm just old. :laughing:
I do enjoy it (the painting part (the body work is just the crap ya go through until the actual fun part of painting, lol), and have a couple dozen + vehicles under my belt with more to come... I have seen some pro's in action and it really is an art.

:beer: back at ya!
Agreed on the prep work. I’ve found many sloppy work-arounds for body work to make a good “20-footer”. That being said, if I’m buying $300/gallon paint I want it to STICK. One of my greatest “old body man” tricks is using Flashbond 300 to promote adhesion on stuff you lack the patience or the facility to do “right”. I mentioned it in an earlier post, but you can basically high-pressure wash what you’re painting, spray with reducer (to clean residue, may have to wipe it off), let dry, spray Flashbond, and make your paint hold. All the body shops that paint tractors that don’t have large booths use this to get a durable job. Not necessarily show-quality, but nice for a working tractor. Works well on farm trucks and pulling trucks too. Don’t know why it wouldn’t work on the typical off-road rig.

Thanks Flecker! This is what I have for my air drying. Out from the compressor the line goes to a transmission cooler, then to a water separator, and then into the tank. The line going into the tank stays at ambient temperature, and I have noticed when I open the drain valve on the tank the next morning, hardly any water comes out, where as before when I would crack the drain valve open in the morning, a whole bunch of water would blast out.

I also have a water separator and a regulator at my air hose reel about 40 feet away. I'll pick up some of those disposable filters, and that spectrum gun and give it a go :)

Any suggestions for primer and single stage paint that would provide good rust protection, and scratch resistance? Not body panels, but for stuff like car parts, roll cage, tool carts, and just general steel items? Doesn't need to have a high gloss look. Preferably not too expensive. Would something like tractor paint work? LOL

IMG-0801.jpg

flecker will give a good answer I’m sure, but if cheap is a big concern but you want durability, I’d go get playground paint. Most cheap tractor paint is garbage.
Playground paint has limited color selection that I’ve seen if you just want to grab a gallon but I’m sure someone will mix custom colors. Seems to have high solids, good coverage over poor surfaces (basically just knock off flaking paint and scaly rust one go) and good UV protection, all for under $50/gallon. Tried it a couple of years ago and had great results.

Any suggestions for primer and single stage paint that would provide good rust protection, and scratch resistance? Not body panels, but for stuff like car parts, roll cage, tool carts, and just general steel items? Doesn't need to have a high gloss look. Preferably not too expensive. Would something like tractor paint work? LOL
I already made a suggestion that will work great. it did for me. but I don't know how well it will stick to smooth surface. and I gotta warn it go on THICK. I plan to get another can of marking paint and try dye it black, as lowes only sell white, yellow and i think blue.

yeah, I don't care for bright colors, some thing dark. dark grey, dark brown, black, or even a dark OD green.

Top Back Refresh