What's new

The official Holiday Drama Fest thread.

Wife and kids left yesterday after lunch for Florida to spend a week with her family.

I had friends over last night to sit around the fire pit and BS.

Today I’m hanging out with the dogs.

AFE9072B-5F75-4407-8FB8-CB356FDD1877.jpeg

Went to my folks and had lunch. That was good.
Swung by one of my childhood friend's mom's place for dinner on the way home, that was good too. No complaints, no drama. Roads were shit on the way home.
20211226_102552.jpg

Good news is, the government was making sure to warn people.

No major drama day of. A few people were pissed at my SIL who thought letting all the old frail people know she wasn't vaxxed was a good idea. We heard about it the next day when they all had to tell us they wish they'd have known:shaking:

Right. It's like most people seem to operate under the guise that once someone is dead they are no longer to be spoken of as if they weren't an asshole. Was Hitler a really nice guy and world renowned humanitarian because he's dead? :homer:
I guess it’s about the setting. Christmas dinner is not the place to great grandchildren and great great grandchildren to hear about adultery in the family.

Maybe that’s just me.

Had Christmas dinner Friday with GF, my mom, and youngest son.. no drama. Saturday added oldest son and his wife and kids.. no drama.
Saturday evening a work buddy called and said the highway is shut down (snow+idiots) and he can’t get home.. he stayed the night and still hasn’t been able to get home. At this rate we’ll just carpool in the morning. We went out to investigate earlier and it was a shit show.. people everywhere and none of em know how to drive.. we came back and enjoyed bloody Mary’s and I made him plow my driveway.

That’s all I got

Spent the day in with my wife, she's in health care and we don't get many days off together these days. Other than that, called my parents, grandparents and friends.

I don't talk politics, I go out and vote and that's it. I actively avoid people that make it their identity.

I guess it’s about the setting. Christmas dinner is not the place to great grandchildren and great great grandchildren to hear about adultery in the family.

Maybe that’s just me.
Context and timing are important details you left out of your post. Around the dinner table vs afterwards around a camp fire are slightly different things.

MIL got covid and this year was the best xmas ever. :laughing: But now instead of 2 xmas's we have to have 3. :shaking: Got the wife the same gift the MIL got her just to piss her off. :grinpimp:

I met my wife because she was high school friends with my cousin, so she interfaces with my cousin and aunt as much or more than I do.

My wife invited my aunt/uncle/cousin/cousin's husband to Christmas eve dinner 3-4 months ago. They declined because the husband is super allergic to cats. We have one cat, which stays in our room when we have guests, zero carpet, clean house.

Last week they started making passive aggressive comments to my wife about how it would have been nice to be invited. I think they truly forgot, but it doesn't help to remind them that they were invited and declined. Next time I'm going to send follow up emails after they decline the in-person invite.

No direct in the moment drama. We went to my wife's aunt's house outside Nashville, nicest house I have ever stepped foot in, and it was an awesome time! Just 4 adults relaxing for 4 days having fun, eating good food and getting shit faced on expensive wine and alcohol it was great!

Now our families back in Illinois different stories. My parents are already pissed we didn't drive up there for Xmas as it's the last one in our childhood house. Great we can relive all the fond memories of fighting during the holidays... Anyway they text us 1hr before they were going to open gifts asking if we want to join a video call, we tell them no we can't because we will be at dinner and they get pissed. My older sis we had some time scheduled to have a virtual gift opening with later this week, cancelled as they just opened the gifts while at my parents. No thanks you's from any of them or thier kids on what we got them:mad3:. My mother in law just cancelled a virtual gift exchange today we had setup for tomorrow and wants to push it to next week since she bought our gift today and is shipping it:mad3:, now my wife's all pissed off and that ruined our day off together. Fuck these people we spent a shit load of time and money shopping and shipping crap to them, I'm done with it. Cards and a gift card for everyone next week.

I did get to say I told you so to my wife as I called all this happening, my family is a bunch of shit heads and so is my wife's.

I posted my day in the CDLC thread the other day, but the recap was:

We were commanded to spend the night on xmas eve because "thats how they always did it", it'll be the last year for that shit. We also had to be there at 3pm to eat dinner because the idiot bil's gf had to be at work (bar) by 6. She left the house at 6:30. At about 9:30 that night we found out that her 15yr old son (they live at my in laws) has a king size bed. We (Me, wife, 3yr old) were promptly told no to sleeping in his bed and had to sleep on a blow up matress in the living room.

Christmas day was a shitshow of the mil being a whiny bitch. We didn't praise her mediocre food so she threw a fit saying we were saying how bad it was, which no one did.

She's a miserable person. So we're done with her shit. It helps that we're moving 4hrs away.

Christmas day was a shitshow of the mil being a whiny bitch. We didn't praise her mediocre food so she threw a fit saying we were saying how bad it was, which no one did.

She's a miserable person. So we're done with her shit. It helps that we're moving 4hrs away.

We moved 3h away from my MIL, things were pretty good, we were able to decide when/where we saw her. 5 years ago she decided to move up here to be "closer to her granddaughters" and lived with us for 2 years but never really interacted with my girls. She watched the fuck out of my TV and expected us to prepare her meals. Then she moved into her own house and watches a lot of TV and rarely comes to visit my girls (who have now graduated). She was bitchy at Christmas and left early, girls laughed about it and played cards all night with my FIL (who divorced her 15 years ago) who spent the night and we had a great evening.

She'll never change, learn to laugh about it.

I have no family in the area (or in the timezone for that matter). The girlfriend asked she could host Thanksgiving for her family at my place because I have the room, sure, no problem. I like all of her family, but they don't all like each other. 14 people and I get to just be an observer to the shit show. I'm interested to see how this goes down.

I have no family in the area (or in the timezone for that matter). The girlfriend asked she could host Thanksgiving for her family at my place because I have the room, sure, no problem. I like all of her family, but they don't all like each other. 14 people and I get to just be an observer to the shit show. I'm interested to see how this goes down.
I am in the same boat.....
It is very entertaining.

I don’t know if this is my snooty aunt, or if it’s a boomer thing. My MIL and Aunt (my dad’s sister) are friends, but not super close. My MIL always hosts thanksgiving. She used to always invites my aunt (and my dad and brother) but they’d always have other plans. This has gone on for 10+ years. This year my aunt’s other plans fell through, and my aunt made a BFD about having to host thanksgiving because she wasn’t invited.

2 weeks later and she’s coming to thanksgiving at my MIL’s.

I swear her life is just too good and she needs to fabricate drama.

If you were looking for somewhere to have thanksgiving, and you knew you were typically invited to a friend or family member’s dinner, would you wait for the invite, or call them?

No family in the country.

Means I get to spend Thanksgiving wheeling with my best friends.

Biggest drama that could happen is I rip the rear axle from under the rig 2 weekends in a row :lmao:

Thanksgiving should be low key. We are hosting at my house. Ever since my sisters divorce, my family get togethers have been mostly drama free.

We've already had some Christmas drama/in-law family drama. We were going to host my wife's family but we already had to un-invite my wife's aunt then ultimately decided we aren't hosting anymore.

Wife's aunt came for a day visit a couple weeks ago and brought her dog. She had asked if she could bring the dog. My wife had told her yes; we have a big fenced yard for the dog.

We spent most of the day outside but, when the aunt did go inside she always let the dog follow her in. I bit my tongue the first few times it happened because I hadn't had a chance to ask the wife what the deal was. Plus, this aunt is a major drama queen, so I wanted to give my wife a chance to say something first.

I think she picked up on my annoyance because at one point she saw me playing with her dog and made a comment about me "not liking dogs". I explained that I love dogs, but I love them as animals/pets. I don't view/consider them as people like others do (like she does).

Fast forward to dinner time. We all go inside to get dinner prepped and of course she brings the dog inside. I'm getting annoyed waiting for my wife to say something. About that time, my 7 year old (knowing the rules), opens the door and tosses out a ball. The dog chases and the door gets shut behind the dog. Of course, she immediately goes and lets the dog in. My kid starts telling her how dogs aren't supposed to be in the house. She gets pissy and tells my kid that she is an adult and he doesn't need to be telling her what to do.

My wife is still standing there not saying shit, so I took my cue and jumped in to explain the "no dogs in the house" rule. The aunt, visibly annoyed, says she will just stay outside with the dog and walks out. We go back to prepping dinner.

About 2 minutes pass before she returns to tell us she is leaving immediately because how we are treater her dog. Wife starts off trying to talk her into staying explaining she can put the dog in our very large laundry room if she doesn't want to leave the dog outside. She acted appalled at that idea. Things went downhill fast and my wife ends up loosing her shit.

The aunt leaves. Wife is crying. my 4 year old is all upset from hearing the arguing. Me, i'm annoyed because I spent a bunch of time on dinner and me and my 7 year old end up being the only ones eating. :laughing:

TLDR
Wife's aunt threw a tantrum because we wouldn't let her dog run around inside our house.
Wife lost her shit on said aunt
Wife told aunt not to come to for Christmas

I have standing orders to be at 2 different thanksgiving shindigs on the same day, around the same time.

Thinkin I will proby turn my phone off. Grab a doctored up papa murphys pizza and some decent beer, And not even leave the house

I have standing orders to be at 2 different thanksgiving shindigs on the same day, around the same time.

Thinkin I will proby turn my phone off. Grab a doctored up papa murphys pizza and some decent beer, And not even leave the house
Sounds like a sensible plan to me. :flipoff2:

I made sure I was the first to send out invites so that I wasnt obligated to be anywhere else.

My mass text was something like this.

"Thanks giving at my house. We are having chineese, most likely cat. Come or dont"
Maybe that's the solution to my Christmas eve drama.

My cousin's husband is allergic to cats, and we have one that stays to herself in the laundry room, but apparently it's still to much for him, so they don't come to Christmas eve at our house, but nobody else is offering to host, so we just have it without them.

It also solves the problem that a few people on my wife's side of the family don't eat pork. Cat isn't pork, so we're good there.

Maybe that's the solution to my Christmas eve drama.

My cousin's husband is allergic to cats, and we have one that stays to herself in the laundry room, but apparently it's still to much for him, so they don't come to Christmas eve at our house, but nobody else is offering to host, so we just have it without them.

It also solves the problem that a few people on my wife's side of the family don't eat pork. Cat isn't pork, so we're good there.

And if I host It really doesnt hurt my feelings if people choose not to go... where as if I dont attend someone elses may care.

Also there is always 1 chinese resturaunt open on hollidays... and at least in your town there isnt a bad one.
At 10+ people it works out to about $20/ person to have way to much food nd a big variety and that cost is way better then dealing with cooking as far as im concerned. It leaves more time to hang out.

If guests want to bring something tell them a desert item.

This sounds fun, and I love and miss papa muffy's. If I was in the PNW I would join you and avoid my family thanksgiving lol

Its your house, that damn cat has more rights than the cousins husband does. fuck him.

Same for food, cook what you like. Hell with any of the picky eaters. If they wanted something different, maybe they should have hosted the dinner

Top Back Refresh