What's new

The FSU trail buggy build

Havoc 22? :flipoff2:

I don't know what your experience is, but my buddy who has built a bunch of stainless turbo manifolds, down pipes, i/C pipes, ect. Told me that header wrap on non stainless will make is rust our super fast.

Havoc 22? :flipoff2:

I don't know what your experience is, but my buddy who has built a bunch of stainless turbo manifolds, down pipes, i/C pipes, ect. Told me that header wrap on non stainless will make is rust our super fast.

no havoc as not really style of wheeling/racing i want to do anymore. was thinking the NIMC fall event or try Insanity Fab Winter Challenge again as brought the suck last time

i did wrap the exhaust on the truck and it was just regular exhaust pipe and looked ok after 2 years when i took the wrapping off. might try header paint before wrapping to help slow the rust down ?

Ceramic coating if its in the budget, you get the pros of wrapping without the cons of rusting.

no havoc as not really style of wheeling/racing i want to do anymore. was thinking the NIMC fall event or try Insanity Fab Winter Challenge again as brought the suck last time

Just because you don't have 1200 lb axles and giant ag tires? :flipoff2:

It's kinda funny watching the axle tech rigs struggle on certain things, then a bouncer on 46s float right over at 5 times the speed. :laughing: they're all cool in their own way, but I think the axle tech rigs need a legit 1500hp to really keep up with an 800hp bouncer.

i did wrap the exhaust on the truck and it was just regular exhaust pipe and looked ok after 2 years when i took the wrapping off. might try header paint before wrapping to help slow the rust down ?

I'm only regurgitating info. I don't know. If it worked before, screw it. Paint can't hurt.

Maybe the turbo shit gets Hotter?

Ceramic coating if its in the budget, you get the pros of wrapping without the cons of rusting.

I know no where in my town does it so would have to send it out. if it was tig welded and nice looking id look in to it more.

Just because you don't have 1200 lb axles and giant ag tires? :flipoff2:

It's kinda funny watching the axle tech rigs struggle on certain things, then a bouncer on 46s float right over at 5 times the speed. :laughing: they're all cool in their own way, but I think the axle tech rigs need a legit 1500hp to really keep up with an 800hp bouncer.

ya its gotten a little crazy and over kill. its fun to watch but just dont see you getting much seat time when racing 1 at a time. the stuff at NIMC and IFWC is heads up and you are racing for a few hours at at time (unless you brake like i did :laughing:)

ya its gotten a little crazy and over kill. its fun to watch but just dont see you getting much seat time when racing 1 at a time. the stuff at NIMC and IFWC is heads up and you are racing for a few hours at at time (unless you brake like i did :laughing:)

I get it that some guys are breaking 2.5t stuff, but those guys have zero weight conserns. Hard to cut weight on axle techs, but 1" plate wheels with 24 1" gussets and tires that are probably 400lb ea. Then you wonder why 800 hp looks like a dog. :laughing: I don't know why no one is using recentered aluminum mrap wheels. Maybe I need to start making them.....

They have been doing some heads up races at MM the last few events. It's weird though because they aren't great at advertising. We showed up to the one 2 weeks ago at around noon on Saturday and they were done for the weekend. There's always some mild yokel entertainment at the events that aren't the big havoc even because they open it up for everyone. :laughing:

Dude I'm so bummed I missed it this year. It's like 10 miles away, and it was epic this year.

I was fucking shoveling 3' of snow off my roof because it was supposed to rain and then freeze hard. We were getting a foot a week for a while there and I wanted to get ahead of it.

Of course that was pretty much the last snow storm :homer:

I want to see if they'll let the Sami in the sxs class next year. My only hope would be they all break :laughing:

Last edited:
got the exhaust welded up and hangers installed, so other then the o2 bung i forgot to add the exhaust is done

so started on some aluminum panels so can start figuring out pedals ect. and as you can see i put green tape on the chassis then transferred to the aluminum, worked pretty well but im sure there are better ways of doing it

AbIKhtx45Pp4omYDe_FEiNbBtBBzmSnaC4Xl8grVqZZw=w2400.jpg

Si6fU7Ar6crVxusbQFzzrE6o5MpNozDK1EHuBHKRV00A=w2400.jpg

LG90YU9EXMb_9uMCYVX5b8NbJNjTJKUM_wwCwrLIsN8Q=w2400.jpg

now i can sit in there and make all the race car noises

V9K6XZ7x6S0iBQ0KtSUwSOQ30DR9Mc-TUYoDGVYH2CHQ=w2400.jpg

Tape is an interesting idea.

I have used the shit out of cereal boxes forever, but are only so big. The poster boards for kids carwashes and whatnot work well also. My grocery store even has them. ~$0.50 ea, well USD, so like $88 cad :flipoff2:

How much are you planning to panel in? Floor, tunnel, firewall and call it good?

Tape is an interesting idea.

I have used the shit out of cereal boxes forever, but are only so big. The poster boards for kids carwashes and whatnot work well also. My grocery store even has them. ~$0.50 ea, well USD, so like $88 cad :flipoff2:

How much are you planning to panel in? Floor, tunnel, firewall and call it good?
normally i just do the arts and crafts with the poster paper but im liking the tape method as can fit it around the tubes and it transfers well to the aluminum. spent way to much time fitting the dash panel but i know if i did a rush job and over ground the notches it would drive me crazy :homer:

floor, front and rear firewalls and tunnel for now. if i have time i want to do sides, roof and hood but im down to 80 days to have it done for a trip at the end of May. so if i have to come back later and do the other skins im ok with that

Last edited:
normally i just do the arts and crafts with the poster paper but im liking the tape method as can fit it around the tubes and it transfers well to the aluminum. spent way to much time fitting the dash panel but i know if i did a rush job and over ground the notches it would drive me crazy :homer:

floor, front and rear firewalls and tunnel for now. if i have time i want to do sides, roof and hood but in down to 80 days to have it done for a trip at the end of May. so if i have to come back later and do the other skins im ok with that

What about rough shape with cardboard then a tape border for fine tuning?

I feel like the tape could be tweeked easy when transferring, but obviously it worked for you.

been working on the panels still and starting to look like something

firewall

VzvUCeNUnWVagb74rT8kUjkwoQa7v1jEXiUNC7MbkCKw=w2400.jpg
[/URL]

dCav90Y4qo5AybAOL1wp2KMO3JbrFGTi6ODPAw7PmHDg=w2400.jpg

rear with cut outs for air flow for the rad, pretty happy with how it came out as been doing all my cutting with a jig saw :homer:

Fcd8vaef4Vjlu-4qWwTFXtDXiu5raYYHCBj6IUZ-CANQ=w2400.jpg

can see it in the last picture i added some round stock to the shoulder height bar as that is for the seat belts as didnt give myself enough room for doing bolt tabs

dLBdFBVXQDnE7QNcZUzu1P1XNCWj0T1v9oByWx41m3Ew=w2400.jpg

You going to run the fan on a 3 way switch for winter runs? :smokin:

Panels are looking good, that shit is time consuming and easy to make look like shit :laughing: you planning on any weather stripping or anything to knock down on vibration noise?

I read through this whole thread last night. I like it, people don't build stuff like this out here. Most stuff is very cookie cutter drive trains.

Your dash area is how mine is, I fought vibrations in that area after mine was built. I really wish I put at least 1 tube in there and tabbed it between the cowl bar and the dash bar so that long piece of aluminum and tube wouldn't vibrate so much. It seems to pick up a resonating vibration at certain RPMs.

Would the dynomat stuff. ( spelling maybe wrong) help with that vibration. I am also worried about that on mine. It is super annoying.

You going to run the fan on a 3 way switch for winter runs? :smokin:

Panels are looking good, that shit is time consuming and easy to make look like shit :laughing: you planning on any weather stripping or anything to knock down on vibration noise?

funny you say that as was talking to a buddy with a buggy and his rad is mounted like mine as he sent me pic of his cut outs ect. he has small puller fan mounted on there to pull warm air in during the winter

I read through this whole thread last night. I like it, people don't build stuff like this out here. Most stuff is very cookie cutter drive trains.

Your dash area is how mine is, I fought vibrations in that area after mine was built. I really wish I put at least 1 tube in there and tabbed it between the cowl bar and the dash bar so that long piece of aluminum and tube wouldn't vibrate so much. It seems to pick up a resonating vibration at certain RPMs.

thanks man
do want to add more tubes to the dash area, might just do angle iron as will be flat and can bolt right to it vs tabs

Would the dynomat stuff. ( spelling maybe wrong) help with that vibration. I am also worried about that on mine. It is super annoying.

want to add some heat barrier stuff for the floors and firewall/trans tunnel to cut down on heat in the cab. im sure it will help with vibration noise as well. its easy to go back and add that stuff if its real bad

still working on the interior stuff.

plan is to run the coolant lines, fuel line and electrical through the cab area. so built a tray for everything to sit in. will have a cover to protect stuff and i did do side plates but took the picture before doing that for some reason :homer:

DF__zEEjt66kXgL721aCepOH2xIlKAEUgWHpigWz64pQ=w2400.jpg

trans tunnel, its bigger then it needs to be but gives me room to run all the hoses under it

LyiJ2zcSOQGSxqzdvXtxPpWrQV-z23yVZCEkJtLgijqQ=w2400.jpg

shifter is mounted, used a chunk of semi truck step i had laying around :dustin: also mocked up the pedals and do have to move them around a bit but looks like i can use the throttle pedal that was in the truck so thats a bonus

bnzY38Xq_tYOJAsXcCMX1DTepfg_ZE5IqLDKbvssDNnQ=w2400.jpg

finishing up the floor and cab area

filled in under the seats and around the base of the seat mounts

nWmWf4Gai9h5eGDBsltY1jhuscEonW4Qse_rPDhH43rQ=w2400.jpg

FvdEXy6fNlj0qnaajaspjynXXCNQphLul7IPhQT6oXdg=w2400.jpg

cable shifter for the tcase. i bought this a few years ago and its ment for a NP208 but after flipping the bracket it works great for my NV271

YrcGbqyyX-JlcyuzSEHabRKlde6utDj89nH-00nTjyLQ=w2400.jpg

started on dash/gauge/switch lay out. picked up some trailer light boxes and turned them into boxes for all that stuff

s79dNPgnGL02MTtGpdyIa22tdkvGOKjtHXVAU2Ad6aJw=w2400.jpg

IiLSBxHLxIHDOMOX7vaFetnZTwgieaIotgh-ZV7wSOgg=w2400.jpg

second one is between the seats and holds all the switches for lights and that crap

hJ1jnnpq8QIQacpRM1-jvnrNc53IOqYeMy9ridzYfGhg=w2400.jpg

Looks great. Coming along nicely.:beer: What is the floor to head liner measurement if you don't mind? I am getting to the interior part of my build and am running out of room quickly. I am thinking I maybe made the roof line a tad to low. I fit but it is a little snug. Just curious to hear what type of dimensions others are building their rigs too.

Top Back Refresh