What's new

The FSU trail buggy build

Well you are far enough along to sit in it with a beer(s) and make motor noises. Looking good!

there have been some vroom vroom noises made while sitting in it lately instead of working on it :laughing:

YotaAitieToo was worried about foot room but after sitting in it think ill have lots of room as even being 6,1 my leg has to be straight to touch the firewall area

1Hytj-qVKdxh5vFOgCTPkKHXc8lsY1d-sHJxd46qzrZA=w2400.jpg

have also picked up a 1410 CV Dodge drive shaft after reading HYDRODYNAMIC's build to build my front 2 piece drive shaft. have also got the same mid shaft parts that Busted Knuckle use for their carrier bearing set up. really leaning towards using the spicer rubber carrier bearing thats meant for the stubb, its far more beefy looking then most automotive ones ive seen. seem to be a lots of random information about using a stock steading bearing in a front shaft but might try it as the spicer bearing is dirt cheap

Last edited:
This stage usually last between 8 and 80 months :flipoff2:

haha, but as long as you have the battery and stereo hooked up, It's OK to pass out in the seat, perhaps with dog sleeping in the other.

How long does the front stub and rest of shaft need to be? It would seem that with short lengths the rubber carrier would be fine.

Are you going to flex your rear tire into that pokey thing?

did a mock up flex test with coil overs and bypasses and tire clears the pokey thing with lots of room to spare. however the tire wants to hit the coil over and i cant move the coil over in anymore or it will hit the chassis brace bar. so option was modify the chassis for the clearance i need or go to trailing arms, so parts for trailing arms are on order now :rolleyes:

so while waiting on trailing arm parts to show up i took another shot at the front, got another set of lower mounts cut same as what was on the truck. i know they clear the tire and high steer arm so have to build uppers to work. probably getting a little carried away with my uppers but will look good and be strong when i get the plates cut from a friend

3gmtryr-xUU5nXzdU6q9lVLZ2xBaV98fW1AtrOkACWtQ=w2400.jpg

_mgwpypOR6X_zFWFhkRQxTruEsCOcefJSzKbRuSH1odQ=w2400.jpg

while im waiting of the shock mount plates and trailing arm parts ive been working on other stuff as i can. got the seat mounts done, seats are on some angle iron notched for the tube and the legs off the seat bar will match up with the front floor tubes

MoyszUs1g3TdWNyXw4TWhqaGLMPsmyAKPXM1ZFVAINwA=w2400.jpg

7UUCe6zhA8AkBDdyHBSdG0rpDfgLEyANmxSQKJSuzmTg=w2400.jpg

picked up a new winch for the front and started on a mount for it and front bumper, still have more tube to add. with rear rad i have room for the winch inside the chassis behind the grille

wJ95o-f3RPyR61jOuC8azd8ayjywqoity9PuqL8fod2A=w2400.jpg

XsEi__1LLI5_mDETWNYYRWJ1XCKjA5U4yIsRSHxhzZVQ=w2400.jpg

trying to keep it low profile

7H_Hank6LbNBEllT704QWzOKAFrmRQPSixl7YGUhuSmg=w2400.jpg

NnzsN7GHyru2BPddNYLQBkkIEFL18Iklkgynhxxh8QgQ=w2400.jpg

Last edited:
got the trailing arms built, still need to build the upper mounts

vP4HpZl4xyNCeGZ7B-imx8elQNInIpShocWfn0i4vyOg=w2400.jpg

DNJ5hLwKS4xPSlFv-IRMAm7X-6wZujQ_p1oKaUtxy5bg=w2400.jpg

fxQMPQcGdazEqbtg9PJyhjOKaiNHjce1FgncCS0IHk-A=w2400.jpg

parts for the front drive shaft showed up, will be 1410 cv shaft to 1410 joint at the steading bearing.

50M_HTa96yBe5stLeOXk1_EmHr0nvb68S8jvWMVf7noQ=w2400.jpg

puxR4BMMOFYNOBiJJYwtrcYr3tix95gjm77FLcg-RqFQ=w2400.jpg

rear bump stop mounts, have 1/2 inch of clearance between links and bottom of fuel cell

WkAHYCFydNgR_g9Ke18uW0CZeiQ8Q_l4D0KrQke8B8pA=w2400.jpg

KpZl_5WCPvkZWRwz1xPKc6Jc40tkhR7O_L9EtFeGJuGg=w2400.jpg

put my efi back on the motor to see how my intake was going to fit. will be able to run it right back into the dash area but will need a small cowl on the hood to cover it

rXQiOHn_r61WnMvS_LWQ3kaaIrAIrfHJh0rHE9xP2jlw=w2400.jpg

welded all my links and link brackets up and was able to take the buggy off jack stands and roll it around at full bump

kZWsZTeFGJL0AXgDdXT1ZrN6zCR1ecyVa80kxcrA844w=w2400.jpg

Use a diff cover for the cowl hood....like Mitsubishi Eclipse hood bump

steady bearing mount

fobKyaL94P5VM_UNaO_t-6Dk_6z-HjRBftf_f4UKo8yw=w2400.jpg

GbGysXxDqa2DPHqNipwXPDhezt4GOwgQ7SFgvf6_Cr-Q=w2400.jpg

front shaft is all 1410 joints

ecADXJjfoH9aGDzx59KO5xAPzj8WSm1pShudAenc960Q=w2400.jpg

can now really see how much of a clearance issue i have with the header, still think i can cut the header back and make it work

vYz3iV6umKH8LSOO5ZaOV8180zHjGRPImOXMfHsF5AxA=w2400.jpg

rear shaft is all girth no length as its 1480 joints and 3.5 tubing but like 2 feet long

JU7oeQ_2wFE-PYYpWRQiE4pahh7lfD0N0juI5DEQwYEA=w2400.jpg

Speed holes on something that small wouldn't be worth the wear on my tooling :lmao:

that bump mount needs more support. it will twist the tube at the very least, more than likely rip it out off.

Speed holes on something that small wouldn't be worth the wear on my tooling :lmao:

ya the hole saws where not happy doing the 1/2" i made the mount out of but oh well

that bump mount needs more support. it will twist the tube at the very least, more than likely rip it out off.

the bump mounts are boxed and will be welded on all 4 sides of the can and the chassis tube.

ya the hole saws where not happy doing the 1/2" i made the mount out of but oh well

the bump mounts are boxed and will be welded on all 4 sides of the can and the chassis tube.
Right, but it's still only mounted to one tube. Probably 1 3/4x120?

It will twist the tube, and or crack eventually. Can you run a vertical tube on the top of the box, as close to the can as possible, up to the tubes above?

It's 2x.120 dom but I get what you are saying and will have to take a look at it. I haven't fully welded them so could add to it still.

Pretty sure the boarders are still closed so won't be making it. Was hopping to come down for the spring nimac rock race but that probably won't happen as well.

It's 2x.120 dom but I get what you are saying and will have to take a look at it. I haven't fully welded them so could add to it still.

Pretty sure the boarders are still closed so won't be making it. Was hopping to come down for the spring nimac rock race but that probably won't happen as well.
There's got to be a back road somewhere up there.

What's the Canadian version of a coyote? :laughing:

One piece of 1/8 wall material cannot handle repeatedly having a vehicle dropped on it.

Can you run a vertical tube on the top of the box, as close to the can as possible, up to the tubes above?

looks like i can fit a tube from the bump can mount to the front chassis brace tube

ErfC-FPHuXRAhJWt46Q8PrfeDwu5qPOgqNVUbCbs32_Q=w2400.jpg

so this is something im not proud of and wasnt going to share here but its part of this build so i will. when welding the chassis up i messed up and either it moved a lot or i didnt double and triple check my measuments. the front top half of the chassis wound up off center. one of the vertical front tubes was not straight as well and that one is very much on me being in a rush. i never noticed it till i started to build the front bumper and then right away could see that it was not straight and chassis was not centered. been putting off fixing it as knew it was going to be a shit job to do. was able to cut the front tubes out and reuse them and relief cut some other welds and pull the top over to line up.

6ZUqhtEy-9YUo6us4YBABaw7ORhhUGywGd3brxU_91xA=w2400.jpg

HEV44W1oFfGI9gckTOn-1Bmhouww-iGixKD6wBAytqrw=w2400.jpg

7-j7ThRRPF6fiFzN4TuoMEZsSaD-DcXS__WvcVU-HMjA=w2400.jpg

JRHgFtPvuQAl0dCI2W1IipgDVAAEn6GICH5DRPuOqQWQ=w2400.jpg

not perfect but 100 times better then it was and i couldnt get it to go any more

5sSVqtox1wcCc-lHc2GRm3-zmq3-5Fh1nTj-Ty01ASNA=w2400.jpg

and with it all welded back up in place i could finish up the bumper and grill and this time everything lined up

JGwCLL2WzybgPrxnkpHslTw-x2QM1aNu3OiSBxD588Uw=w2400.jpg

buddy got my shock mounts cut out for me this weekend as well, think they will be pretty sweet when welded up

XJD8ARtlynYYNvy3_Npo9EMB0-76zcktbMeyOe5wW3Bg=w2400.jpg

Been there, shit moves a ton welding I have learned. Looking good.

havent touched this in a few weeks as been busy with other stuff

helping the GF out with her bobber project
5Rr7QNyUVddKPA8t24uF5mJ8ul0qnsWNV6gAItfOwvRA=w2400.jpg

been out camping
7g6__Y4DvjXbmn4YFQGIbrwfxw8ZigwPoCScHQR5qGOw=w2400.jpg

watched some racing
kvfABmmbW4M82QChF7mLrobe1EPcmpKdgzVXav18OaLg=w2400.jpg

but did add some more chassis braces, vertical tube where the chassis has the miter joint
l0Wb_ScYBmNJKaAyTAPhRbEZC0cekdYB2iD_nyp9EIzA=w2400.jpg

cross brace between the shocks
NP7_iMfdeMAVwHoUYG9Zv8XS7UIuqaibM4iHmzDUdUDQ=w2400.jpg

Any chance we can get pics of GF’s boober project???:flipoff2:
The rest looks great!

Top Back Refresh