What's new

The FSU trail buggy build

nope, havent even been in my shop in almost 2 months now. been busy with house renos and moving the gf in ect. dog also blew out his knee and we go for surgery in a few day. had to sell the BFGs and beadlocks to help pay for that so now the buggy will be a big dumb mud buggy on the 44s once i start working on it again

still haven't worked on this in a while but did need to move it in the shop so tossed the 44s on and put it at bump. belly height is 12" and roof is 72". seeing it like this has gotten me all pumped to get back to this so maybe start working on it again soon

mjW1Mk-FkZFGmTYIgQF4WGfiRlKNO5OzVx-srw0TDXew=w2400.jpg

famCOUeJ055_-ethrCK1PNRVg9BMbbeMxCrma5o_RzOA=w2400.jpg

been 6 months since ive worked on this thing

bought a coffin on wheels sidekick and raced and wheeled that but have since sold it so back to the buggy

VIlv6MwcI4s8E5aU2KRq_A1EHO4Yl16TQFBgpy-i7Bag=w2400.jpg

rk1dqCm6cCIyPyotG1wFNqvk3sYmSwBMfjW14-p22qSA=w2400.jpg

did get the rear upper shock mounts welded together and tacked on the chassis. hope to get back to working on it in the new year and have ready for spring time

3tXRPaCHKoqWKxJ82T6JZZsEXkJIzJu1ArTdkMtL0Z4Q=w2400.jpg

z2Sh7wZN_K0tLtEbrDQa04QcCTL7mvdsp4P_6csIRkpA=w2400.jpg

nope, havent even been in my shop in almost 2 months now. been busy with house renos and moving the gf in ect. dog also blew out his knee and we go for surgery in a few day. had to sell the BFGs and beadlocks to help pay for that so now the buggy will be a big dumb mud buggy on the 44s once i start working on it again

Ah shit, TTL surgery? Got almost 6 more years outta my pup after that.

Ah shit, TTL surgery? Got almost 6 more years outta my pup after that.
Ya he blew his knee out about this time last year. Of course hes so damn big (190 pounds) no vet local would do it. took him 8 hours south this summer and dropped him off for the surgery. got a call that they cant do it cause the med he was on where killing his kidneys so no we are focusing on his kidneys and changed up his pain meds. big guy is walking around ok but gets soar pretty quick.

That was a pretty big mood killer to the summer as stopped camping and had to sell buggy parts so stopped working on the buggy and focused on house crap. Was also an idiot and bought a motorcyle in the fall so got to ride that for a few weeks :shaking:. Plan on getting back to the buggy in the new year and have it done for spring

Last edited:
Ya he blew his knee out about this time last year. Of course hes so damn big (190 pounds) no vet local would do it. took him 8 hours south this summer and dropped him off for the surgery. got a call that they cant do it cause the med he was on where killing his kidneys so no we are focusing on his kidneys and changed up his pain meds. big guy is walking around ok but gets soar pretty quick.

That was a pretty big mood killer to the summer as stopped camping and had to sell buggy parts so stopped working on the buggy and focused on house crap. Was also an idiot and bought a motorcyle in the fall so got to ride that for a few weeks :shaking:. Plan on getting back to the buggy in the new year and have it done for spring

Snow bike kit :flipoff2:

When my dog mucked up his second knee after his ttl, we were working with an equine and canine physio therapist, who set us up with a guy who built him a custom knee brace. He hated it, but it did wonders to help support it while he healed. Could be worth looking into. He normally did custom braces for people. That was for an 80lb pitbull who liked to party. Was hard to turn down the party for a year and a half of healing, but he was able to get down pretty good after that.

What kinda bike???

back at it, burned the rear shock mounts in and limiting straps. so other then some gussets im thinking the rear suspension is done

YqH8WKNd7cSuyozFuD_LqwGMibPc5HVN5ASUWW5bX93w=w2400.jpg

added some bracing for the rear mounts

fFptkJI7KUM-M45isFw_ueqXpyI7KaCOJ_hR9cJCgh5w=w2400.jpg

kjBvHMiWpItTMdSP5_XfluyzyxI2KmoodkTTw3Q0Yv2Q=w2400.jpg

figure ill ask here before starting a new thread. like an idiot i hit my trans cooler with the zip cut this weekend while working on the buggy, so now i need a new one. after pricing out the B&M cooler i had and seeing that it went way up in price im looking at other options.

was running a 11x11 B&M cooler that was 48 row and rated at 29000btu with a 800cfm fan on it.

bQj4PfXIjcNBcv6v77GV7Yqi2GgbHSOafHrbA09BcL9Q=w2400.jpg

yMJULSsyfXsb2jeTHan5KVQCbDpXnfFX_NQhfzCY4dKg=w2400.jpg

worked well and never had trans heat issues before. with the price of the cooler almost double what i paid few years ago and the size of it i was looking at other options. I work as a Ford parts guys so was looking at what we have in stock that i could make work. First one is a trans cooler for the 2011-2016 F250-550 with the gas motor. it is 9x20 core size and 16 pass by the looks of it. would be easy to build a shroud and fit a fan on it as well

RLG7c9qO_LnaM2LCa8GvvsRCpFCMcAJ7-qVvXzyZjEsA=w2400.jpg

was also looking at the liquid cooler for the 2011-2016 F250-550 with the 6.7 diesel as on options as small and almost half the price of the B&M cooler. figure if it keeps a loaded work truck towing cool it should be more then enough for the buggy. only issue i can see is motor getting hot when working it and now the trans is hot or vise versa

TqneEwpfmmcCOCt91qrWS7u0b3Tk5Sfw7RTX8QBa0m6Q=w2400.jpg

What about running a liquid/liquid cooler for steering as well and running a separate loop?

Since you're a Ford parts guy, you can run the 6.7 engine driven water pump for the air/liquid I/C :smokin:

Edit: also, hijack: for some reason, the welfare duty popped into my head the other day. That thing still kicking?

What about running a liquid/liquid cooler for steering as well and running a separate loop?

Since you're a Ford parts guy, you can run the 6.7 engine driven water pump for the air/liquid I/C :smokin:
i feel like adding a second cooling system like the 6.7 would just be asking for problems and more work then worth

Edit: also, hijack: for some reason, the welfare duty popped into my head the other day. That thing still kicking?

yep its still around, he moved so i no longer have it in my back yard/shop now. hes in a small town few hours away and they have some pretty wicked trails out there so hes been doing more overland wheeling. oh and drives it around town a bit

vttMzzEdg5EY6H5MD-gC-SsEkzqx6tWH-yXtbxCw8rBg=w2400.jpg

wosZM2YXRSOuYqKY1D_kDV9Qcg60lb5k9ZsgG2Ei9nHg=w2400.jpg

did race it once last summer and went full send and now needs a new front diff housing and shredded one tire

4SrBNNTmDHZiW7H53tL2ipakfojlOH8eV3-I-RD8Mhmw=w2400.jpg

zNSjvTo65fwIeoc0_rAeZKJJe9V71I3woE0hiFMgqAYw=w2400.jpg

i feel like adding a second cooling system like the 6.7 would just be asking for problems and more work then worth

Don't have to do the engine driven pump, could do electric. But yes, I get it. I like simple myself.

I'd stick to liquid to air then. Last I was looking at coolers, there was some pretty nice dual units. Ps and trans with 1 big fan.

yep its still around, he moved so i no longer have it in my back yard/shop now. hes in a small town few hours away and they have some pretty wicked trails out there so hes been doing more overland wheeling. oh and drives it around town a bit

did race it once last summer and went full send and now needs a new front diff housing and shredded one tire

Overland/full send race car :lmao:

Pics look amazing. What part of canukistan is that? I wish the damn border wasn't so locked down, I'd love to go explore up there.

Don't have to do the engine driven pump, could do electric. But yes, I get it. I like simple myself.

I'd stick to liquid to air then. Last I was looking at coolers, there was some pretty nice dual units. Ps and trans with 1 big fan.

Overland/full send race car :lmao:

Pics look amazing. What part of canukistan is that? I wish the damn border wasn't so locked down, I'd love to go explore up there.
Ya will see if i can fit the gas superduty cooler as its has larger surface area then my older cooler and mount my fan on it.

he moved to Houston BC, very small town but right in the mountains so very beautiful area

I run a 6.0L powerstoke trans cooler on my pig and it keeps trans nice and chilly. In front of rad with mech fan.

added a gusset to the front bump stop mounts and set the buggy at full bump and started on my exhaust. header and front drive shaft are trying to share the same space. because im stupid ive chose not to build a header and instead try and make the exhaust fit around everything. cut the header way back and after lots of pie cuts it just clears. have checked at full bump and flex and its close but clears.

GiHDT5t_Mgr1vBYe0Epf_y43EJEbsQ3n6o7RN32Gnk7Q=w2400.jpg

hbd_R7ixGceJjsw2rmMAhu3qD9-IU0AEVIDvYF-FG13w=w2400.jpg

swlVAug7pLEn20nEXvts7kEEzYbRDIxykFusD-iOA5ow=w2400.jpg

wow looks awesome, my luck if i did that many pie cuts i would forget to weld one of them and first beat down run the pipe would break in half and take out a bunch of shit in the process.. :lmao::lmao:

with that being said weld it solid. hahaha

added a gusset to the front bump stop mounts and set the buggy at full bump and started on my exhaust. header and front drive shaft are trying to share the same space. because im stupid ive chose not to build a header and instead try and make the exhaust fit around everything. cut the header way back and after lots of pie cuts it just clears. have checked at full bump and flex and its close but clears.

GiHDT5t_Mgr1vBYe0Epf_y43EJEbsQ3n6o7RN32Gnk7Q=w2400.jpg

hbd_R7ixGceJjsw2rmMAhu3qD9-IU0AEVIDvYF-FG13w=w2400.jpg

swlVAug7pLEn20nEXvts7kEEzYbRDIxykFusD-iOA5ow=w2400.jpg
Seems like a perfectly logical option! I don't want a build a header

wow looks awesome, my luck if i did that many pie cuts i would forget to weld one of them and first beat down run the pipe would break in half and take out a bunch of shit in the process.. :lmao::lmao:

with that being said weld it solid. hahaha
will only look good till i mig weld it :homer: but will be wrapped to hide the booger welds

Seems like a perfectly logical option! I don't want a build a header
if i had done a header i wouldnt have such clearance issues and could run the pipe over the bellhousing. right now it just clears the drive shaft, have started the pipe under the trans and its just as tight under there

finished the header, all mig welded and ground down so smoothish so looks like poo but when i do header wrap on it you wont see it.

rDyeXNVdjqMYNdDMNgVpujC6b8OKADnlpEDk4pGqg3Jw=w2400.jpg

Y pipe under the trans and pass side. i had a big 2-1 Y adapter that i used but its pretty big and ugly so not happy with that but it works

WC5XARDJd2nE94WSgMAzoVLuOtjQeCtCJX2G5LVO4PhA=w2400.jpg

LHc4TBQ4Z9p3CvyfOY4NKKMGbZhAkPlnb3GRycC5gm2w=w2400.jpg

wanted something little better then just a turn down pointed at the ground after the muffler. so more pie cuts

8Pgw2wOfPwFBXdW0qLHp_VDehRnFqhTrxNeAsB4SlAqw=w2400.jpg

and of course i ran out of gas so didnt get to weld it up

BiI1z0SQNlE7GjsFlsNuBsDDj5crOdOUIN_VO-TmUXew=w2400.jpg

after a bit of thinking ive decided to use my cooler that was my steering cooler as its bigger then the trans one i had. when i change my ps pump i wont need as big of a cooler for that system.

new cooler is to big to fit beside the fuel cell like i had it. after playing around with few different spots i found it fits perfectly under my seat.

DOzqSttj3ZuUHS9ixlo9p2OVVD08eG2i2KdIAri6HTkg=w2400.jpg

TojKXKUJFhNVVSs7knUoK0eWMEj85aDhf11Dnv97HL2g=w2400.jpg

added some more tube. double B pillar that is more just for looks, floor tubes and dash bar

MIYbn8I2WVkPBDlu6T1m5nos4QVDAPA3TxC8YZOCW_kw=w2400.jpg

EVd2X1NUSrRQDESdkwZM2IGgmH8w7sEOjMtqWs3V_i9Q=w2400.jpg

Attachments

• MIYbn8I2WVkPBDlu6T1m5nos4QVDAPA3TxC8YZOCW_kw=w2400.jpg
    MIYbn8I2WVkPBDlu6T1m5nos4QVDAPA3TxC8YZOCW_kw=w2400.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 9
Top Back Refresh