What's new

The 4xFordYota Franken-Fine Axles!

Interested to see the 4wheelunderground kit and to see how it works for you.
We got it mocked up while i was up there... looking like everything should fit pretty well. Brian at 4wu got everything tuned before sending it out. So im also curious to see how well he did on the tuning service that he does for all of his kits before sending them out.

Some other really fun things coming from Brian that we will be doing to my rig later in the year ;) stay tuned!

is there a pocket for the diff to sit in or will it crash into things before the steering limits uptravel?

What's the expected ride height and up travel? You might have said but I didn't read all 11 pages of bullshit:homer:

is there a pocket for the diff to sit in or will it crash into things before the steering limits uptravel?
Yup. That is the benefit of building your own axle... you can place the pumpkin where you need it to go

What's the expected ride height and up travel? You might have said but I didn't read all 11 pages of bullshit:homer:
before this, the tcase skid/crossmember was sitting at 25.75"... goal is 22-23" on that.

For up travel, 14" shocks in the front. Aiming for 60% down, 40% up. Which should give some pretty damn good wheel travel based on how wide the axles are. We are putting a big upwards notch in the front frame to allow for more travel of the axle. I honestly think the fenders are going to be the limiting part... Definitely will be in the back... which is easy enough to fix with a sawzall :P

Yup. That is the benefit of building your own axle... you can place the pumpkin where you need it to go
i know that, but i suspect that there is not a big enough pocket in between the motor and frame for it plus suspension components.

can you get the axle tubes to the frame before the diff becomes a problem?
is the upper attaching on the passenger or driverside?

before this, the tcase skid/crossmember was sitting at 25.75"... goal is 22-23" on that.

For up travel, 14" shocks in the front. Aiming for 60% down, 40% up. Which should give some pretty damn good wheel travel based on how wide the axles are. We are putting a big upwards notch in the front frame to allow for more travel of the axle. I honestly think the fenders are going to be the limiting part... Definitely will be in the back... which is easy enough to fix with a sawzall :P

Tire size? Sounds tall but I guess if it's on 43s maybe it's not.

I'm curious to see how that diff tucks in there too. The new frame is gonna step up higher than the stock frame (unless you are doing it a different way) and the exhaust on the 3.4 is on the same side as the diff. And thats a larger diff to tuck into that space. I'd kinda be surprised if the first limiting factor is the axle tubes hitting the frame. I could be way off on that just guessing lol.

i know that, but i suspect that there is not a big enough pocket in between the motor and frame for it plus suspension components.

can you get the axle tubes to the frame before the diff becomes a problem?
is the upper attaching on the passenger or driverside?
I'm curious to see how that diff tucks in there too. The new frame is gonna step up higher than the stock frame (unless you are doing it a different way) and the exhaust on the 3.4 is on the same side as the diff. And thats a larger diff to tuck into that space. I'd kinda be surprised if the first limiting factor is the axle tubes hitting the frame. I could be way off on that just guessing lol.

The exhaust is on the driver side ;) upper link is there too.

Tire size? Sounds tall but I guess if it's on 43s maybe it's not.
40x13.50x17 Yokies! It is defintiely tall... but I live in granite boulder country where its all about the crawling over car sized boulders, so you need above average ground clearance. I will be 2" or so shorter than current with the toyota axles and leaf springs... and 15" wider! Looking forward to having some more stability to have more fun when i go to moab and sand hollow.

How axle lines up under stock frame

Attachments

• IMG_20230718_161346.jpg
    IMG_20230718_161346.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 35
struggling to see how it works, so less talking more pictures. we need answers
Haha it didn't fit. Put the upper link on passenger side... the tolerances are TIGHHTTTTTTTT.

The new frame section got made 1" wider overall, which gave a little more space for the upper link on the pumpkin. But holy hell everything is tight. Less than 1mm clearance at full lock in the tie rod. Might end up having to pull it off and put a couple bends in it to pull it away from the pumpkin and fill plug.

Attachments

• 20230828_155459.jpg
    20230828_155459.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230828_155506.jpg
    20230828_155506.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20230828_155539.jpg
    20230828_155539.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230828_155648.jpg
    20230828_155648.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230828_155701.jpg
    20230828_155701.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230828_161432.jpg
    20230828_161432.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Super wide and sexy...

Moved the front axle forward about 4"
Lowered the height about 5"
Widened the stance about 15"

Attachments

• IMG_20230817_093159.jpg
    IMG_20230817_093159.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230817_091023.jpg
    IMG_20230817_091023.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230817_091002.jpg
    IMG_20230817_091002.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 15
Haha it didn't fit. Put the upper link on passenger side... the tolerances are TIGHHTTTTTTTT.

The new frame section got made 1" wider overall, which gave a little more space for the upper link on the pumpkin. But holy hell everything is tight. Less than 1mm clearance at full lock in the tie rod. Might end up having to pull it off and put a couple bends in it to pull it away from the pumpkin and fill plug.

for crying out loud, insert the pictures into the post.

before doing anything 'special' with the steering, get the tires on there. i bet the tires eating the links will be the limiting factor on steering. if they arent, the can start hacking stuff to get more steering.

that frame section is legit, nicely done. i suggest you find someone who can do tube lasering and offer it as a kit, youll make a few bucks.

That new front frame piece is sweet. Can you post the pictures full size? The picture quality sucks once you start to zoom in and look.

Haha I didn't realize you could put them directly in the post. Always assumed you had to attach them.

the frame was done by Alex at exquisite metal works. He does some amazing work with metal. Go check out his ig
1000005169.jpg
1000005168.jpg
1000005167.jpg

Agreed! Wouldn't work around here but well, it's not my rig.
Yea exactly, I should have added "not hating just observing" to that :laughing:

Even driving through the gas station, your going to have evrey spilled coffee, mountain dew, water, gas, back room aborted fetus, beer etc splashing right onto your windshield. I had 14.5w Toyos on my truck and it suuuuuucked launching shit everywhere all time, couldn't imagine having the tire totally out of the fender:laughing:

just a comment for those following at home regarding putting the links on top of the axle. you see how much up travel is being given up because all the suspension points move up 3-4 inches. so you have to balance ride height vs ground clearance. i understand the why and on a full bodied rig with a 35 or 37" tires it may make sense, but when you are in the 37"+ crowd, ride height is usually more of a concern than link clearance.

Haha I didn't realize you could put them directly in the post. Always assumed you had to attach them.

the frame was done by Alex at exquisite metal works. He does some amazing work with metal. Go check out his ig
1000005167.jpg
I'd wager there's a market for this amongst the tacoma/4runner crowds...

just a comment for those following at home regarding putting the links on top of the axle. you see how much up travel is being given up because all the suspension points move up 3-4 inches. so you have to balance ride height vs ground clearance. i understand the why and on a full bodied rig with a 35 or 37" tires it may make sense, but when you are in the 37"+ crowd, ride height is usually more of a concern than link clearance.
I didn't notice or think of that, good call out!

Top Back Refresh