What's new

The 2024 Firewood Thread

Saw a guy on YouTube saying he like vegetable oil for bar oil since it’s “eco- friendly” biodegradable hippy dippy..

Any experience with vegetarian oil as bar oil?

I’ve been known to use whatever is around in a pinch, and Grandpa used used motor oil exclusively.
I've seen guys use vegetable oil when cutting ice, but not wood. Seems like it is a lot thinner than any bar oil that I have used.

E1D37E82-7E3F-4BC3-884C-410276E886AD.png
You are gonna slab that up to make wall hangings, right?

I've seen guys use vegetable oil when cutting ice, but not wood. Seems like it is a lot thinner than any bar oil that I have used.
Have not used it. But have heard it thickens up to much in the winter.

Caught a sale at Baileys, got a new 24" bar and 3 chains coming for my 372xp ported clone saw, should be way better for bucking than the 32" bar. Also got a oem handlebar and air filter coming. Twisted the Holzforma handlebar first time I pinched the bar and pulled on it.
First delivery of logs is only a few weeks out, gonna blow the 4' of snow outta my wood yard and get after it, hoping to do 50+ cords this year to sell.

Have not used it. But have heard it thickens up to much in the winter.
Makes sense. My squeeze bottle of vegetable oil that is on my griddle in the garage was pretty much solid when I went to use it a few weeks ago.

A couple weeks ago I dropped these two Hackberries. Still need to get them split and stacked. This weekend I was able to get just over a tote of hedge hauled home. Still have 3 totes that need filled.

IMG_5701.jpeg

IMG_7962.jpeg
We cut and split these hackberry’s over the weekend. This is the last firewood I’ll cut for the year. The trees are all getting buds and leaves on them.

IMG_5735.jpeg

Have a fuck ton of trees that came down this winter. Only burned about 40% of my years allocated wood for the winter. I am going to be way ahead for next winter.

I use it for chainsaw carving. It can almost lock up the chain if you store you saw for a period of time in the snow. But I have never not been able to rub the chain on a big log and get it to move before starting the saw. That said I dont run it on bars over 18”. And you do burn up bars quicker running veg oil vs bar oil.

I don't have land to take from or public land to take timber either, but I found this free oak on marketplace. An easy 24" across, carpenter ants got to it. I'll be picking up the rest Friday after blocking it up.
Screenshot_20240327_171352_Facebook.jpg

Brought home little pile today and yesterday. I have 12 ibc tote cages I fill and use for storage. Now that the new shop is almost done, I'll be able to stack them up in one corner/end and then use my forklift to run 1/2 cord from shop to garage in 5 minutes. No more stacking, wheelbarrows or tarps. I used them this winter, but had them outside and tarped because shop wasn't ready yet. I'll bring home a few cords of fir like this and we took down 4, 32" diameter oaks I'll cut and fire up the splitter for.

Attachments

• IMG_20240327_172343146_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240327_172343146_HDR.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240327_172025611.jpg
    IMG_20240327_172025611.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 7
finally started on splitting the oak I got last year.
will take another year to dry but hope to have this done in a week or so.

Oak 3-24.jpg

will go get these dead one when it dries out a bit.

Oak 3-24-2.jpg

Just got home from getting the first two loads of firewood for the 24-25 winter season. Shortly after taking the picture my wife "helped" me unload and flipped one of the logs out of the Ford into the bed of my formerly straight and dent free Dodge:shaking:
IMG_0311.jpeg
Pictures of the….dent?:flipoff2:

Pretty stoked to have my big saw running again. :grinpimp:

1000026339-01.jpeg

Its a MS660 clone with a big bore kit. I feared i would have to split and reseal the case.... but it turned out the jug bolts had rattled loose. New gasket and loctite was all it needed.

Got all my big balsam sliced up. Love how fast it eats
1000026389-01.jpeg

1000026381-01.jpeg

Pretty stoked to have my big saw running again. :grinpimp:

1000026339-01.jpeg
my 066 had a rattle last week.

pulled the muffler and found a piece of the piston in the muffler. (1 inch piece of the land between the rings)
still runs fairly well but new cylinder and piston should be here today.
30+ years old so I am not going to complain.

new kit arrived yesterday. :smokin:
could have gone with a 56mm big bore kit from China, but I went with a higher end 54mm kit from Italy.
Made by Meteor
$139 cost
Genuine Stihl would have been double that.

already had pulled the old piston and cylinder off.

066 piston.jpg

the old piston
can see where a section of the land is missing between the two rings.

066 piston 2.jpg

piston looks rough in the picture but is very smooth.
cylinder bore looks great as well.
biggest concern is the old gasket is metal and .5mm thick.
new one is fiber and 1.0mm thick.
I would think that would slightly lower the compression.
we will see.
it is back together and idling fine right now.

Last edited:
biggest concern is the old gasket is metal and .5mm thick.
new one is fiber and 1.0mm thick.
I would think that would slightly lower the compression.
we will see.
it is back together and idling fine right now.
check piston/jug clearance with a piece of solder through the spark plug hole
might be able to ditch the base gasket all together for mucho compression-o

My chinese big-bore was too tight to run with no gasket. Fiber gasket is on it now. One of the arborist pages pointed me to permatex Motoseal for a fuel resistant gasket maker.

I had some casting flash interference (on the port bulge) that looks to have prevented the jug from seating to its fullest. Watch for that.

IMG_20240414_192104428_HDR.jpg

check piston/jug clearance with a piece of solder through the spark plug hole
might be able to ditch the base gasket all together for mucho compression-o
thought doing it with no gasket, or even separating the fiber one so it was thinner.

decided against it for now.
will run it for a few weeks as is and see how I like it.
if not, I have the .5mm gasket on order and can install that.

I am afraid no gasket may make the compression high enough that it may be hard to pull start.
its a 92cc saw.
this is an older flat top 066, so it does not have a decompression valve in it.
I can add one as the new cylinder has a port for it, but then I would also have to get a different shroud to go on it as well.

but then I would also have to get a different shroud to go on it as well.
it in a spot you could drill a hole through the ducting?

if the OE base gasket is a metal shim style like it looks like I'd have no problem at all with reusing it, very careful slow speed wire wheel on the cordless drill takes the flaky coating off, then you spray it with whatever high metallic content paint you've got, the old standby was that shiny aluminum colored paint, but I've been using zinc cold galvanizing compound on my diesels. Kinda neat, when you take it back apart the zinc kinda solders itself to the aluminum so you gotta scrape off these sheets of compressed zinc

Top Back Refresh