What's new

The 2024 Firewood Thread

Kaptain

Member Number
Wood rack loaded up for the cold spell. Dipped into the black locust stash for the overnight burns

woodrack.jpg

This is the start of next winter’s firewood. I need to step up my game re: my splitter..10 year old Tractor Supply unit is showing its age.. seems everything nice is $$$

1705355231179.jpeg

I’m planning to sell some wood next winter.. this is the beginning of my “sell” wood. Just gonna try a few cords to convince myself that it’s not worth it.

1705355409638.jpeg

This is the start of next winter’s firewood. I need to step up my game re: my splitter..10 year old Tractor Supply unit is showing its age.. seems everything nice is $$$

1705355231179.jpeg

I’m planning to sell some wood next winter.. this is the beginning of my “sell” wood. Just gonna try a few cords to convince myself that it’s not worth it.

1705355409638.jpeg
You need to speed up the process and cut down on the amount of times you handle it. Fast multi wedge splitter, conveyor, tractor with forks and IBC totes...easy peasy :flipoff2:

Do it!
I need someone else to laugh at that makes bad choices. :laughing:

just finished splitting the fir I will sell for next winter.
about 18-20 cords here

wood 1-16.jpg

the pile in the background is all Oak I need to get working on.

wood2 1-15.jpg

I've been burning most evenings/nights and through the weekend. Burnt enough this year to say while Oak is great for burning long and slow, I miss the cedar I've burned a lot of the last 2 years.

part of it may be the oak didn't dry as much as I'd have liked with the wet summer we had, but even the dry stuff, I wish I had a couple sticks of cedar left to throw in and knock down the oak coals.

yep, complaining I only have HARDwood to burn this year:homer::laughing:

we've burned about 1/2 of our stock this year.

Mostly sassafras and oak. Decided that we'll never split sassafras again. Great to work with, but it doesn't burn hot enough to produce solid heat... It'll be moved to the fire pit stock.

First pickup load I've hauled home/split this year, have another couple of these alders to process, climbers will be out to cut two big firs and a hemlock this weekend, those trees are all a cord or two each, should be set for a while at the rate I burn.

PXL_20240121_035645074.jpg

Been having trouble getting to the standing dead to collect firewood because the ground is so soft. I cut a black birch and split it up because it was easy to get to. Green stuff, burns awesome no seasoning required. Happy to figure that out, as I've got a ton of them.

Burned about 20% of my supply so far. Have probably 10 cords worth of trees that need to be split and stacked. Been a hard winter for the trees. Maple, alder and fir on the ground so far.

Makes me want to buy a splitter. I should be able to get a rig to most of them to drag them out in bigger chunks.

Been having trouble getting to the standing dead to collect firewood because the ground is so soft. I cut a black birch and split it up because it was easy to get to. Green stuff, burns awesome no seasoning required. Happy to figure that out, as I've got a ton of them.
yep, same here in CT. it's either been snow, or slop. My near-the-house stack is getting low but I can't drive the UTV across the lawn or I'll tear it up. I need it to freeze again

Bought a cottage last year and I have to take down some trees this spring (birch, pine and cedar). I'm totally new to this whole fire wood thing.

I am only able to get up there around every other weekend so time is tight.

Is there any issues with storing the cords a while before splitting and stacking?

Is there any issues with storing the cords a while before splitting and stacking?
need to keep the wood off the ground as much as possible...
stacked dry woods can last decades. wood in contact with the ground can start to rot in a year or two.
if you cut the log into rounds but don't split it, do not let it sit on the cut face to the ground. it will pull moisture out of the ground and rot very fast.

Bought a cottage last year and I have to take down some trees this spring (birch, pine and cedar). I'm totally new to this whole fire wood thing.

I am only able to get up there around every other weekend so time is tight.

Like said above.. and.. I’ve found that larger trees in logs will rot from the inside out if left more than a couple years because they won’t dry due to large-ness.. probably species depends-nant

Arborist wrapped up their work at my mom's, got 3 stacks of rounds like this to split now.

PXL_20240203_215415031.jpg

Also salvaging another fir that was cut last year. The folks that were supposed to be taking this wood for free didn't want to do the work to drag it out, I'm trying to get it out of the brush before it rots

PXL_20231202_194108484.jpg

I'm not as fortunate as some of you to have access to wood. I do have some rounds I need to split, and I've been splitting them with a Splitting maul. It sucks :lmao:. I am down to about a cord left for this winter. Once spring rolls around, I'll have to find someone to buy a few cords from.

Last edited:
I'm not as fortunate as some of you to have access to wood. I do have some rounds I need to split, and I've been splitting them with a Splitting maul. It sucks :lmao:. I am down to about a cord left for this winter. Once spring rolls around, I'll have to find someone to but a few cords from.
I bust everything with the same 6lb maul I learned to split with or a Council Tool 5lb splitting axe. On the larger douglas fir I do keep a saw handy for the ones that just won't pop.

I'm not as fortunate as some of you to have access to wood. I do have some rounds I need to split, and I've been splitting them with a Splitting maul. It sucks :lmao:. I am down to about a cord left for this winter. Once spring rolls around, I'll have to find someone to but a few cords from.
I split wood with a maul for years, if I had a tough round to split and the maul stuck I beat it through until it split with a short handled 5 lb sledgehammer.

I bust everything with the same 6lb maul I learned to split with or a Council Tool 5lb splitting axe. On the larger douglas fir I do keep a saw handy for the ones that just won't pop.
though I split almost everything at home with a log splitter.

when getting wood in the forest, if the logs are too big, I "noodle" them most of the way through and then just a maul to split in in half. then 1/4s or 1/8s.
this one is just around 44" diameter.
cut, noodle, split and into the truck.
42 inch fir.jpg

I'll get a pic tomorrow but I had to do something I swore I would never do, buy wood. I had a tree service bring me a two cord dump trailer load of "boiler" wood, it's cut and split but very random in both girth and length. Green Red Oak mostly. I ended up re splitting some if the bigger stuff. I got behind this year between my heart and knee.

First of many loads of the freshly cut stuff. This tree was 42" on the stump and they chipped the top 15 feet or so but it's still gonna be 2+ cords by the time it's split and stacked. Need to get a real pickup again, the grocery cart is not suited to this.

PXL_20240210_180305301.jpg
Nice! Look at the bright side, a grocery cart means less work per load, take it easy and make a couple extra trips.

This is whats down so far. A lot of maple fell there is one more big one I didn’t snap a picture of tons of pecker pole alders are down as well a lot of wind and rain so dar with a couple of heavy wet snows I got lots of work to do
IMG_2896.jpeg
IMG_2895.jpeg
/attachments/img_2894-jpeg.812594/?hash=e8445301f04421232745ab1fcc3fa50d
IMG_2890.jpeg
IMG_2893.jpeg
IMG_2892.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2890.jpeg
    IMG_2890.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2894.jpeg
    IMG_2894.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
Spent a couple hours cutting up firewood logs and piling them to be split. A mix of apple, pear, elm, white birch, black cherry, sugar maple, ash, and poplar, all trees that came down or were crowding trees we wanted to keep on the property. The two big piles are next, they are red oak that have been stacked in log form for two years. I keep red oak separate as it needs 3 yrs to dry. Not a bad afternoon outside.

IMG_4609.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

First time pretending to be a pro with a bottle jack.

Tree was leaning pretty heavy uphill. 2 ton jack.
I think a 4 ton would have been much more effective.

Had to tell the boy to keep the camera on the action, damnit!

Edit: Not sure why, but the video is frozen for the first 10 seconds or so, but eventually it plays....I'm VLC stupid.

Edit again. See next post for video, I finally got one to work right.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh