What's new

Stock Market 2021

Not sure if this belongs here or not. I see this morning that the reddit users are targeting Dogecoin, apparently they want to drive it up to a dollar. I've never dabbled in this kinda thing at all but I may just buy a pile at literally nothing just to see if they do get it there.
:homer:

I literally cashed out yesterday

So.. I bought GME yesterday... 2 shares. Paid stupid money. Put an order in immediately after purchase for what I thought was stupider money. And it has blown WAY past that order....

:lmao::lmao:

Talk about censorship, they are cutting out the little guy from getting a piece of the pie. Total bullshit in the stock market today! :mad3:

Talk about censorship, they are cutting out the little guy from getting a piece of the pie. Total bullshit in the stock market today! :mad3:

Must be a Robin Hodler :flipoff2::flipoff2:

This is what happens when you have gamblers trying their hand at the market because of the latest thing they have read on Reddit, Stocktwits or Fintwit. Robinhood has to use a market maker, and there are consequences on the market, this is one of them. And let me guess, RH is down again today, and folks cannot sell their positions - with zero recourse because good luck getting a human on the phone at RH, and good luck with them making good on your losses.

Same applies to the free speech on social media, read the TOS fine print, and if you don't like it find another company to do business with.

The sad thing is, hedge funds screw up or get caught in a short squeeze, they have many positions in a well balanced portfolio, and once averaged the losses are just part of the trades for the year. This WSB BS has total novices going all in on one or two stocks, and when the hammer drops, and it will, they are going to lose every single cent, or multiples of that if they are stupid enough to be using margin accounts.

I am the biggest advocate for free speech and free business, but ironically I actually think RH is doing the right thing and protecting those who know no better from losing everything.

Want to gamble try DraftKings, want to trade, then educate yourself, manage your risk, but don't think you will make millions overnight, you won't.

Not exactly what that is. Not allowing trades on margin is more so they aren't left holding the bag when the stock becomes worthless, and noobs with jack shit in their account can't be recovered from. Margin trading is risky business anyway and not to be taken lightly or for beginners- margin is allowing you to buy stuff you don't have the funds on hand to cover for (think similar to a credit limit).

Use a different platform if you don't like their terms? Not a big deal really.

Last edited:

This is what happens when you have gamblers trying their hand at the market because of the latest thing they have read on Reddit, Stocktwits or Fintwit. Robinhood has to use a market maker, and there are consequences on the market, this is one of them. And let me guess, RH is down again today, and folks cannot sell their positions - with zero recourse because good luck getting a human on the phone at RH, and good luck with them making good on your losses.

Same applies to the free speech on social media, read the TOS fine print, and if you don't like it find another company to do business with.

The sad thing is, hedge funds screw up or get caught in a short squeeze, they have many positions in a well balanced portfolio, and once averaged the losses are just part of the trades for the year. This WSB BS has total novices going all in on one or two stocks, and when the hammer drops, and it will, they are going to lose every single cent, or multiples of that if they are stupid enough to be using margin accounts.

I am the biggest advocate for free speech and free business, but ironically I actually think RH is doing the right thing and protecting those who know no better from losing everything.

Want to gamble try DraftKings, want to trade, then educate yourself, manage your risk, but don't think you will make millions overnight, you won't.

Why do we have to protect people from themselves again? Freedom involves risk, limit that risk limits freedom. It sounds like they know the risk they are taking, the hedge funds are crying because they are getting bent over for once and people are glitching the matrix.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210128_110825.png Views:	0 Size:	149.3 KB ID:	289531

Why do we have to protect people from themselves again? Freedom involves risk, limit that risk limits freedom. It sounds like they know the risk they are taking, the hedge funds are crying because they are getting bent over for once and people are glitching the matrix.

the irony of hedge funds doubling down on stupidity and then getting beat out by people that the government said weren't allowed to work...

I made money on GME... :D

Not exactly what that is. Not allowing trades on margin is more so they aren't left holding the bag when the stock becomes worthless, and noobs with jack shit in their account can't be recovered from. Margin trading is risky business anyway and not to be taken lightly or for beginners- margin is allowing you to buy stuff you don't have the funds on hand to cover for (think similar to a credit limit).

Use a different platform if you don't like their terms? Not a big deal really.

Im no longer trading GME, but TD ameritrade was stopping me from placing cash covered puts or covered calls on AMC. I have been trading options with them for years, know the risks, and they are COVERED. The only one who can lose is me, but they are stopping me from potentially making money off these idiots. After this week when the rest of my sold options expire worthless, i am closing my account with them. Im sure my 110k isnt even a drop in the bucket for them, but im done. I will let my retirement accounts ride.

Taking that money and buying farming land to cash lease.

This is what happens when you have gamblers trying their hand at the market

<snip>

You're saying that the market isn't gambling? That trading should be left to the elite?

I would argue that his is, to a slight degree, exactly what the market should be - average joes choosing to something with their money. kind of the American way.

Institutional traders... not so sure how I feel about them considering how many times the average joe has been tasked with bailing them out.....

the irony of hedge funds doubling down on stupidity and then getting beat out by people that the government said weren't allowed to work...

I made money on GME... :D

Right? Hey we took out naked shorts on 140% of all the stock in circulation, but the RH traders are the risk taking idiots:homer:.

The condescension and talking down to the retail investors by the press and these managers is only making the "problem" worse.

I'm 100% free market and this is hilarious to me, I'm not participating in any of this short squeeze action because I don't have the time to do it, but support it. Fuck the hedge fund managers who have been rigging the market for a few decades now. Remember the oil speculation of the early 2000s?? Enron? 2008 housing crash, Etc....

Additionally we have the stock market hitting record highs with large swaths of the economy shut down, anyone who says the entire stock market isnt speculative gambling needs to reassess things. Valuations are thrown out the window and stocks trading on 10X+ of projected earnings....

Last edited:
You're saying that the market isn't gambling? That trading should be left to the elite?

Only the uneducated could possibly consider the market gambling, or don't understand the term itself

Ideally trading should be left to the educated, but we have at least a couple generations of folks who leave high school unable to balance a check book, yet now think they can beat the MBA's on wall street, ain't commission free trading great?

Trading should be open to anyone, it takes two parties to make a trade, and I am much happier trading against some novice Robin Hodler than against some algorithm developed by some math genius. At the end of this year, how many hedge funds will have folded (your typical half a dozen or so), but how many novice traders are going to get their pee pee's smacked so hard they never consider investing in the market again, or are still paying off margin debt, or are posting on social media about the big bag hedge funds, and how the market is gambling - 10's of thousands

From the last few pages of this thread it is obvious that half the posters do not even understand what a fucking hedge fund is. Or cannot read, HEDGE fund. Not an ETF, not an index, a fucking hedge fund. Please educate yourselves on what hedging is, and how it is used. If all your eggs are in a single hedge fund "investment", you are just as clueless as the novice RH suckers.

Most smart investors have hedges, it might be calls or puts, it might be gold or silver or now BTC, it might be lead and powder, and it likely would also be property investments. IF you barely have enough money to open an account with a reputable broker, you sure don't have the 10% or so to be using hedges. And are spending your day wasting mental energy on the big bad wall street managers (who sure as hell don't give a flying fuck about you, your losses or whether you think the market is fair or not). Grow the fuck up, and educate yourself IF you want to play in the same playground as the really smart money men.

To the real action, not crying about the boogey man

Been a wild couple days, yesterday was killer, today so far - not so much. ABNB calls for Feb swung from 40% green to 50% red (have time, will be patient, will cut if losses approach 60%
GOGO gapped up nicely, March calls actually went green, now almost 50% red. (have time, will be patient)

MARA and RIOT keeping me sane, and almost green, RIOT options doubled, rolled on the pullback, and now up 65%. Should have taken MARA options, but can only handle so many trades, equity up 7% in a couple hours

Paper cut losses on SPY,, broke above, then stopped out on the next pullback (stop too tight, or should have had a smaller position to allow more room to work).

Interesting to see the wild swings in my options account this year, only about 25% of my day / short term swing accounts, but between NIO, JMIA and JKS, some of the positions are moving nearly 5 figures a day.

RIOT and MARA hitting daily highs, NIO about to b/o, must manage positions, happy trading all, will check in later

Manage your risk

as for today, i'm about up on paper more than I was down yesterday, which is pretty good overall. surprisingly, WES is up over 6% on the day, didn't they would move so much so fast. USB is up 2% and still shy of $45, so i'm still happy hanging around there and glad I added a bit while down yesterday.

Only the uneducated could possibly consider the market gambling, or don't understand the term itself

Ideally trading should be left to the educated, but we have at least a couple generations of folks who leave high school unable to balance a check book, yet now think they can beat the MBA's on wall street, ain't commission free trading great?

Trading should be open to anyone, it takes two parties to make a trade, and I am much happier trading against some novice Robin Hodler than against some algorithm developed by some math genius. At the end of this year, how many hedge funds will have folded (your typical half a dozen or so), but how many novice traders are going to get their pee pee's smacked so hard they never consider investing in the market again, or are still paying off margin debt, or are posting on social media about the big bag hedge funds, and how the market is gambling - 10's of thousands

From the last few pages of this thread it is obvious that half the posters do not even understand what a fucking hedge fund is. Or cannot read, HEDGE fund. Not an ETF, not an index, a fucking hedge fund. Please educate yourselves on what hedging is, and how it is used. If all your eggs are in a single hedge fund "investment", you are just as clueless as the novice RH suckers.

Most smart investors have hedges, it might be calls or puts, it might be gold or silver or now BTC, it might be lead and powder, and it likely would also be property investments. IF you barely have enough money to open an account with a reputable broker, you sure don't have the 10% or so to be using hedges. And are spending your day wasting mental energy on the big bad wall street managers (who sure as hell don't give a flying fuck about you, your losses or whether you think the market is fair or not). Grow the fuck up, and educate yourself IF you want to play in the same playground as the really smart money men.

To the real action, not crying about the boogey man

Been a wild couple days, yesterday was killer, today so far - not so much. ABNB calls for Feb swung from 40% green to 50% red (have time, will be patient, will cut if losses approach 60%
GOGO gapped up nicely, March calls actually went green, now almost 50% red. (have time, will be patient)

MARA and RIOT keeping me sane, and almost green, RIOT options doubled, rolled on the pullback, and now up 65%. Should have taken MARA options, but can only handle so many trades, equity up 7% in a couple hours

Paper cut losses on SPY,, broke above, then stopped out on the next pullback (stop too tight, or should have had a smaller position to allow more room to work).

Interesting to see the wild swings in my options account this year, only about 25% of my day / short term swing accounts, but between NIO, JMIA and JKS, some of the positions are moving nearly 5 figures a day.

RIOT and MARA hitting daily highs, NIO about to b/o, must manage positions, happy trading all, will check in later

Manage your risk

What's the educational requirements to invest? MBA? watching some YouTube videos? Reading? Getting your pee pee smacked on bad investments? Define education for the unwashed masses here.

Last edited:

Manage your risk

Please elaborate...

What's the educational requirements to invest? MBA? watching some YouTube videos? Reading? Getting your pee pee snaked on bad investments? Define education for the unwashed masses here.

You can start by reading Benjamin Graham's book called "The Intelligent Investor". It explains the difference between speculating and investing, and shows you how to build a conservative portfolio of time tested, dividend producing stocks and bonds.

You can start by reading Benjamin Graham's book called "The Intelligent Investor". It explains the difference between speculating and investing, and shows you how to build a conservative portfolio of time tested, dividend producing stocks and bonds.

So reading what others have wrote and following their system, there's one.....

RH isn't beating them at their own game and this isn't the first time RH has had issues :laughing:

and also, of course the market is 100% gambling :rasta:

You must be a damn genius....:laughing:

The big boys were losing their asses and we can't have that so a few calls crying and son of bitch, would you look at that.

Sound familiar?

RH isn't beating them at their own game and this isn't the first time RH has had issues :laughing:

and also, of course the market is 100% gambling :rasta:

Honetsly I'm surprised people still use them after thier meltdown during the initial covid sell offs and market volatility. Some people got seriously fucked on that one.

Call me an old money elitist here but it's fidelity on a PC for me.

Top Back Refresh