What's new

#SteerAndStuff buggy build

Really sweet gauges, volts perfect, add finger groves in shifters & brakes. You have a throttle? Consider no gate 1 to 2.

Last edited:
Used light bar tube mounts for headrest. Makes mount non permanent if I need to redrill to adjust height. Simple and cheap. I tried a single mount and counter sunk screw but wasn't solid and not thick enough to fully counter sink so just using button head screws and thinking adding some foam about 1/2" thick to tighten up cover and cover screw heads more.

20210826_175624.jpg

20210826_175727.jpg

20210826_175753.jpg

Last edited:
I always enjoy your updates. Same as your IBEX thread you always seem to come up with super simple out of the box little details/solutions. I've gleaned a few good ideas from your threads. :beer:

I'm in Powell/Cody area and have a few good spots here. Also some spots in more central wyoming that are good too. Are you in the area?

I'm (newly) in north ID.

WY isn't a state I'd think of for buggy trails, so I was curious. I'd like to do a trip down and see some parts of UT, CO, WY and SD soon. I don't have a true crawler right now though, working on it though.

Few updates. As of now it's all done minus getting engine calibration sorted out. Had a bunch of time consuming setbacks in the last month or 2. Axle shafts were wrong length and had to be modified, had to fix chassis welds because of coolant leaks, and the ecu tune problems. Here are a few update pictures.

All lights wired in.
20210925_194507.jpg

Belly configuration trying to keep and heat from sedative stuff.
20211007_145753.jpg

First time outside and near complete.
20211017_120542.jpg

Radiator heat shield to block fan noise and protect from cap or upper hose failure.
IMG_20211029_135935_811.jpg

Finished interior. Seen a few guys do the fabric and made sense to me to keep rattles and harmonic noise down and has to help with radiant heat pluse looks finished.
IMG_20211030_080801_944.jpg

Awesome! That turned out great. The interior fabric is a super nice Gucci touch. :beer:

Where did you get the black plastic coil material for wrapping the hydro lines? I have some from an old buggy that I bought but would like to get some more.

EDIT- Found it. Not sure what I was searching for the last time I looked but it came right up this time. :shaking:

Last edited:
Its the spiral wrap hose protector I got on Amazon. Used 1.5" for the hoses and 2.5" to wrap around control arms. Not 100% sold on the bulky look but should work good.

Thank you. I think it looks good and keeps everything nice and tight. Great job on the build. Looking forward to seeing some action vids when the time comes.

Last edited:
It came out beautiful!

I know Rich Klein claimed this chassis was built to accommodate big guys, what is your take on that? I ask because I am 6'4" (38" inseam) and ~190 Lbs. depending on how much beer I've been drinking and this is one of three chassis I am considering, but have never actually sat in or seen in person.

It came out beautiful!

I know Rich Klein claimed this chassis was built to accommodate big guys, what is your take on that? I ask because I am 6'4" (38" inseam) and ~190 Lbs. depending on how much beer I've been drinking and this is one of three chassis I am considering, but have never actually sat in or seen in person.
I'm 5'10" and fit easy, I can measure from seat bottom to roof if it would help give any idea. Pedals shouldn't be much problem to make for longer legs too.

I'm 5'10" and fit easy, I can measure from seat bottom to roof if it would help give any idea. Pedals shouldn't be much problem to make for longer legs too.
I'm not too concerned about headroom since my torso isn't a whole lot taller than an average person, it is mostly the leg room since I'm built like a grasshopper :laughing: So you don't think there would be too much issue with seat and pedal placement to accommodate someone with legs ~6" longer than yours? Looks like its got a fair bit of room in that department.

I appreciate the insight :beer:

I'm not too concerned about headroom since my torso isn't a whole lot taller than an average person, it is mostly the leg room since I'm built like a grasshopper :laughing: So you don't think there would be too much issue with seat and pedal placement to accommodate someone with legs ~6" longer than yours? Looks like its got a fair bit of room in that department.

I appreciate the insight :beer:
I think longer legs would fit ok still. My knees are bent a fair bit to get ankle position to be comfortable. The pedals could easily go forward and even slightly outside the "cab" area if needed other than the more forward you go they will get closer together and become tight that way. I'd say 6' no problem. Next time my buddy is out that is 6'3"ish I'll have him sit in it and see.

Next time my buddy is out that is 6'3"ish I'll have him sit in it and see.
I would really appreciate that. I was finally able to sit in a Goatbuilt JHF 2-seater recently, and it was pretty roomy for me aside from a narrow footwell, but I think I would prefer one of the new trail chassis if I can fit in one :laughing:

I would really appreciate that. I was finally able to sit in a Goatbuilt JHF 2-seater recently, and it was pretty roomy for me aside from a narrow footwell, but I think I would prefer one of the new trail chassis if I can fit in one :laughing:
The JHF is roomy ? :eek::confused:
I love this buggy but there ain't no way my 6'3 self fit in there comfortably at all.

SteerAndStuff : Beautiful build you did, it's tits :grinpimp:

Have only had chance to wheel it once so far, waiting for a few locals to get their rigs back together. We didn't take hardly any pictures either so nothing good to show. It worked really good out of the box, especially with dry, new tires. Not going to water tires till spring since I'll be putting the winter tires on here shortly.
PSC swapped out my CBR pump because half way through the day after steering into a notch hard it started howling super loud and never quieted back down. My feeling is the internal relief opened and stuck and never reseated fully. I ask the gentleman at PSC if that's a viable thought but he was just a salesman and had no tech input but shipped me out a replacement that day.
Also finished up the homemade assembled vehicle title works and got it licensed as a Multi Purpose Vehicle, same license as a side by side here. All that's required is two headlights, two taillights, brake lights, horn, and a mirror and the MPV plate is restricted from operating on interstate highways.
Also drove down to the local truck scale here and weighed the buggy. It came in at 3400 total and 1540 on the rear (equals 1860 front and a 55/45% bias). The truck scales weigh in increments of 20 pounds so a good chance of +/-20ish lbs. Ironically the weight is the same number issued on my license plate.
Found a cooler that fits in my truck area nicely and is a good size for all day wheeling. Its the 20qt Pelican. Also found a 3 gallon Risk Racing fuel can I fit next to the cooler when needed for long snow wheeling days that tend to use more fuel considering the 8 gallon fuel tank on the buggy.
Last thing is the simple side convenx mirror mounts I just finished. Did the same on my old buggy and worked good. Basically just a trick tab with a groove ground out and a piece of tubing with the ID to fit the chassis tube split in half and a wing nut hose clamp and heat shrink. Nice thing is they can be reinstalled with the mirror inside more if needed and easy to loosen and swing in when driving against a wall.

20211107_113133.jpg

20211202_184433.jpg

20211202_184353.jpg

20211204_072921.jpg

So you have pics of the front shaft and routing it around the 700r4?

Thank!

Can you explain what this gets me?

• TCI Full manual reverse valve body w/ braking
And who is devin brandt and how you get ahold of him for header flanges?

That valve body makes the transmission not shift automatically anymore and you select the gear, also reverses the shift pattern so the gearing is: P R N 1 2 3 4 instead of factory P R N 4 3 2 1 so first and reverse are back to back. Had one in the old buggy and wasn't really sure i wanted that again on new but the 700 with the TV cable I didn't want to really screw with either so this eliminates that as well.

That valve body makes the transmission not shift automatically anymore and you select the gear, also reverses the shift pattern so the gearing is: P R N 1 2 3 4 instead of factory P R N 4 3 2 1 so first and reverse are back to back. Had one in the old buggy and wasn't really sure i wanted that again on new but the 700 with the TV cable I didn't want to really screw with either so this eliminates that as well.
What didn't you like about it?

Sometimes I wouldn't mind an auto shifting shift kit style trans and a shifter like a SHO or modded pro stick again, the TV cable stuff was the swaying actor to stay with the RFMVB

Right, I was curious about that, since the 3.9 or even ecotec motors have DBW throttle bodies

So what are the specs on the drive shafts? Looking to build the exact same stuff.

Top Back Refresh