What's new

Spinoff: Who is not going back to the original?

I quit pirate for years, came back shortly before the ‘upgrade’, and now I’m here. Really liking it so far

I go there for tech and to delete bots. I have not posted there in a week. The tech game here really has to pick up before I delete my Shortcut.

i'm honestly a little bummed about there being a picture storage limit for non paying members. kind of forces 3rd party hosting (free) for "the average" user who also posts tech.

i'll get over it eventually though. i just see it as a bit of a needless roadblock to growing tech here

If your posting a bunch of tech and can't come up with $20, your doing it wrong.

Paying to play keeps the moronic shit like the "Getting the wheels up" thread over there from coming here. Also, how many pictures does one need to post in a "What should I do about this problem" kind of thread?

I go there for tech and to delete bots. I have not posted there in a week. The tech game here really has to pick up before I delete my Shortcut.

I haven't seen any real "tech" over there in quite a few years, unless your counting Tuesday questions? A few discussions about some cool tech that usually gets left unfinished is all I see there now. Place is done.

Post some up. Seeing as how your a shock guy and all, I bet you could school us on a bunch of stuff related to that subject.

Did FOA nutswinger guy post up an evaluation yet? If not, add; To be continued at WWW.IRATE4X4.COM to the end of the thread and bring that tech over here.

After I couldn't edit or delete my posts, nope.

Fuck them.

The classified suck now, the Toyota forum is fairly dead, and the TP isn't enough.

Everdouche wasn't there so that was a plus but that I usually scroll past the twat anyways.

If your posting a bunch of tech and can't come up with $20, your doing it wrong.

Paying to play keeps the moronic shit like the "Getting the wheels up" thread over there from coming here. Also, how many pictures does one need to post in a "What should I do about this problem" kind of thread?

I can't really disagree with you on the one hand, but if somebody wanted to join up and post pictures of their build, it is kind of an awkward thing. and, then you are committed to it. it isn't like a "buy a skull, post up a build, let it expire, come back a few years later, post a picture to answer a tech question.....OOPS you are over your limit now" :rasta: i kind of get the idea behind it and recurring membership and such and all, i just think it is missing out. hell, most people buy a star regardless, and most folks with a star won't post enough pictures to hit the limit anyways.

My blue star automatically renewed 2 days before “the event”, but if BRC got their money I’m good with it. If I go back, I’m saying what they did is okay and it isn’t. It was a good run, but they screwed the pooch.

I can't really disagree with you on the one hand, but if somebody wanted to join up and post pictures of their build, it is kind of an awkward thing. and, then you are committed to it. it isn't like a "buy a skull, post up a build, let it expire, come back a few years later, post a picture to answer a tech question.....OOPS you are over your limit now" :rasta: i kind of get the idea behind it and recurring membership and such and all, i just think it is missing out. hell, most people buy a star regardless, and most folks with a star won't post enough pictures to hit the limit anyways.

I agree.

Maybe a six month intro period to get peep to want to post and stick here.

Its already an intimidating thing to post your thoughts, methods, and skills up for the world to tear apart.

I have a pretty detailed 3.4 swap thread with 100k+ view that i never took into Pirate cause I didn't want to get the flack over anything I may have done in opposition to someones opinion.

I agree.

Maybe a six month intro period to get peep to want to post and stick here.

Its already an intimidating thing to post your thoughts, methods, and skills up for the world to tear apart.

I have a pretty detailed 3.4 swap thread with 100k+ view that i never took into Pirate cause I didn't want to get the flack over anything I may have done in opposition to someones opinion.

I'm in the same boat. I have a pretty extensive build thread of my tacoma on another site and didnt bring it to the old site for those reasons. I didnt TIG everything, used 30yr old leaf springs and its not ultra 4 ready so I'll have the internet equivalent of the toothless guy around the camp fire drinking bummed beers that knows evreything but has no rig telling me how shitty it is and what I should have done. Saying that I may bring it over here.

Last edited:
i'm honestly a little bummed about there being a picture storage limit for non paying members. kind of forces 3rd party hosting (free) for "the average" user who also posts tech.

i'll get over it eventually though. i just see it as a bit of a needless roadblock to growing tech here

is there? That blows.

is there? That blows.

I hit it in the middle of the diff thread i was working on. I might go in a different direction anyways on that thread, but whatever. It was doubled after i brought up i was having issues. I'm 90% sure it didn't say there was a limit before, but maybe i was reading it wrong.

50 mb is a good bit for most people. I'm a bit of a post whore, but i won't be copying over other peoples build threads again unless i buy a star :lmao:

I mean, i'm happy the limit got increased, i'm just sad it is there at all. yes, i understand there are some costs associated with storage, no i have no idea what any of that 'actually' costs. Hell, i'd rather send over a 1TB HD or some shit, for more than $20, and be happy knowing i won't hit that limit ever.

Having to rely on third party hosting is a large part of the reason that so many forums have dead threads and have lost vital tech. It's also something that the main competitors do not require, and introduces a needless extra step to posting that turns potential users away. Pirate now has free image hosting, and Facebook always has.

Having to rely on third party hosting is a large part of the reason that so many forums have dead threads and have lost vital tech. It's also something that the main competitors do not require, and introduces a needless extra step to posting that turns potential users away. Pirate now has free image hosting, and Facebook always has.

yup, i agree.

i do want this whole thing to do well. easy picture upload is a huge plus to it, i just don't get the point of the paywall for storage

I'm in the same boat. I have a pretty extensive build thread of my tacoma on another site and didnt bring it to the old site for those reasons. I didnt TIG everything, used 30yr old leaf springs and its not ultra 4 ready so I'll the internet equivalent of the toothledd guy around the camp fire drinking bummed beers that knows evreything but has no rig telling me how shitty it is and what I should have done. Saying that I may bring it over here.

So that was you in our camp at KOH last year? Thanks for dropping off the two 30 bombs of Keystone before you left. :smokin:

yup, i agree.

i do want this whole thing to do well. easy picture upload is a huge plus to it, i just don't get the point of the paywall for storage

I think the problem is that the site creator wants to make this "exactly like the Pirate of old" without realizing that the world has moved on. Pirate died because it did not change where it needed to, and where it did change was not for the better.

Even not having a WYSIWYG editor is too much for most people to handle. They see BB code and get scared. :homer:

That was the last straw for me, had them randomize my shit after I couldn't edit/delete anything.

You do realize that they in no way randomized your shit? It took me less than a minute to find you on there. You are user 224886 who has 10,241 posts. I can still search for every post you ever made on there.

Edit, and if you want me to remove that info I will. I understand that you probably did what you did in an effort to retain some amount of privacy.

Last edited:
Just sold the X90 to a member from pirate, that was my last tie to that place. :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh