What's new

Slowpoke attempts to kill himself in a golfcart!

Forgot to mention that the new aluminum bumper came in last Friday. Hopefully I can avoid hitting shit with it for at least a few more than 2 races..... :laughing:

20210325_222211.jpg

Back from my work trip........... The new steering rack is a work of art! :smokin:

Click image for larger version Name:	20210401_203048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.7 KB ID:	366120

Click image for larger version Name:	20210401_203103.jpg Views:	0 Size:	242.0 KB ID:	366121

The axle seals and spare brake lines were also waiting for me when I got home tonight. Might be able to head out to the track on Sunday for a few hours of practice if I hustle and get the car back together in time.

20210401_203127.jpg
20210401_203157.jpg

Worked on the car last night after work. I pulled the old rack out and got it stripped down, then started the install of the new billet part. Fits in the chassis perfect and already feels alot tighter than the factory Honda rack. :smokin:

20210402_183650.jpg

20210402_185924.jpg

Also installed the Raceco rack mount stiffener while I was in there.

20210402_185912.jpg

New U joints and front axle seals were also installed last night but I have to go get different grease fittings for the joints before I put the drive shaft back in. They came with 45° fittings that will not work in my application. I'm going to need 90's or needle grease fittings in order for them to be greaseable once installed in the car. Minor problems in the grand scheme of things. Off to Smiley's Racing Products for the fittings and a couple other small items I need.......

That mobile work shop looks like it's working out awesome. Can't wait to hear the results from another race day.

Back from my work trip........... The new steering rack is a work of art! :smokin:

The axle seals and spare brake lines were also waiting for me when I got home tonight. Might be able to head out to the track on Sunday for a few hours of practice if I hustle and get the car back together in time.

Wish I saw that rack before I started my build, that looks beefy unlike the sloppy import vw buggy rack I've got.

Wish I saw that rack before I started my build, that looks beefy unlike the sloppy import vw buggy rack I've got.

There are a bunch of SxS companies making billet racks for these things. @JRX4 bought one for his RzR that looks even beefier than the one I have. Some even have different ratios other than 1 to 1 if you want to quicken the steering. My rack is 1-1 ratio but I'm using a 2-1 steering quickner to speed it up. It makes a huge difference when racing.

Went to the track today to get in some practice laps before next Saturdays race. I did so many laps that I literally ran out of gas on the track. :laughing: I now know every square inch of the track and what lines are faster and at what speed to hit the jumps to avoid over jumping them. :smokin: The dude that is first in points, and the only guy that beat me last race was also there practicing. I went out and started running laps after he pulled off the track and noticed his buddy clocking my lap times. I decided to slow down before I got to him each lap and after 3 laps he gave up trying. The 04 then pulled out of the track behind me as I crossed the start/finish line so I pulled off the track and went back out with him 1/2 a lap ahead of me. Head games........

:lmao:

If my Dynojet computer is any kind of accurate it said I was 5+ seconds a lap faster than I was last race. Track was dry and super fast today. My Hoosiers sure took a beating though! I'll have to buy a new set after next week's race. God damn this racing shit is expensive!! No Gopro yet. Tow pig needed new sneakers......

20210411_152017.jpg
20210411_152033.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing to note...... After running the car hard for about 10 laps I decided to pull in and check everything to make sure nothing was going to fall off. I could smell burnt plastic in the passenger rear wheel well and noticed the top right corner of my battery looked "soft". Touched it and it sure was soft. Even with the header wrap that corner of the battery was still getting hot. Luckily I had some stick on heat shield in the trailer and got that problem solved before it became an issue next weekend. I should probably pull the header off this week and add another layer of wrap.

Click image for larger version Name:	20210411_180953.jpg Views:	0 Size:	433.3 KB ID:	376760

Last edited:
If my Dynojet computer is any kind of accurate it said I was 5+ seconds a lap faster than I was last race. Track was dry and super fast today. My Hoosiers sure took a beating though! I'll have to buy a new set after next week's race. God damn this racing shit is expensive!! No Gopro yet. Tow pig needed new sneakers......

If it's anything like a sticky tire on sand stone/shotcrete type terrain, they'll probably hook harder as they wear in a little. Obviously, if it's wet, that's out the window.

Now that I think about it, my buddy said the same thing about soft asphalt racing tires. He regularly goes to the dumpster at thunder hill and pulls the ~40% tires the rich guys throw away. He said they're faster untill the belts show.

Another thing to note...... After running the car hard for about 10 laps I decided to pull in and check everything to make sure nothing was going to fall off. I could smell burnt plastic in the passenger rear wheel well and noticed the top right corner of my battery looked "soft". Touched it and it sure was soft. Even with the header wrap that corner of the battery was still getting hot. Luckily I had some stick on heat shield in the trailer and got that problem solved before it became an issue next weekend. I should probably pull the header off this week and add another layer of wrap.]

I think you should build a heat shield for the battery/header tube. Header wrap just gets hot and radiates heat. It's better than a bare header tube, but not near as good as a metal heat shield with an air gap on both sides. Think about what the OEM's use between a cat/muffler and the body of a car.

I think you should build a heat shield for the battery/header tube. Header wrap just gets hot and radiates heat. It's better than a bare header tube, but not near as good as a metal heat shield with an air gap on both sides. Think about what the OEM's use between a cat/muffler and the body of a car.

Air bake pan FTW!

Or head to the junk yard, find a modern car and pull some of the under body embossed aluminium heat shield. It's easy to cut and shape and most newer shit (euroboxes in particular) seem to use acres of it

s-l400.jpg

Or head to the junk yard, find a modern car and pull some of the under body embossed aluminium heat shield. It's easy to cut and shape and most newer shit (euroboxes in particular) seem to use acres of it

That's exactly what's on my battery. I keep a sheet of it in the trailer for those just in case moments.

Now that I think about it, my buddy said the same thing about soft asphalt racing tires. He regularly goes to the dumpster at thunder hill and pulls the ~40% tires the rich guys throw away. He said they're faster untill the belts show.

It was the complete opposite when we raced paved circle track. We bought 4 new tires every week. We'd run last weeks new tires in the heat race and then put the new ones on for the feature.. Rinse and repeat. After 3 heat cycles our tires got considerably harder durometer wise and lap times fell off noticeably. Tire soaking wasn't allowed so we didn't have a choice if we wanted to run up front every week.

It was the complete opposite when we raced paved circle track. We bought 4 new tires every week. We'd run last weeks new tires in the heat race and then put the new ones on for the feature.. Rinse and repeat. After 3 heat cycles our tires got considerably harder durometer wise and lap times fell off noticeably. Tire soaking wasn't allowed so we didn't have a choice if we wanted to run up front every week.

Maybe the bias tires are different?

Heat cycles causing the tire to harden sounds like the manufacturer playing games to sell tires :laughing:

Top Back Refresh