What's new

Shop canopy build.

I dont understand... what is the point of insulation if 2 sides are open? Is this a yankee thing or something? :confused:

Yes no insulation going it this. I think I'm going to do strip curtains in the two openings. A good bit of rain blew in tonight.

I ordered strip curtain to cover the 40' opening on the right in the pic, and the 8' opening to the left of the chevron brace. A bit expensive but my only option. Comes all cut to size, punched, and with the brackets. Should be here late next week.

20201201_193025.jpg

I ordered strip curtain to cover the 40' opening on the right in the pic, and the 8' opening to the left of the chevron brace. A bit expensive but my only option. Comes all cut to size, punched, and with the brackets. Should be here late next week.

I'm not sure what a "strip curtain" actually is. I'm assuming a commercial grade fabric wall. That way you can roll it up in the summer. Will it have windows? I'm sure it will be nice to open in the summer, but is security not an issue?

I'm not sure what a "strip curtain" actually is. I'm assuming a commercial grade fabric wall. That way you can roll it up in the summer. Will it have windows? I'm sure it will be nice to open in the summer, but is security not an issue?

Probably clear heavy plastic strips 6-12" wide, generally used between refrigerated spaces and non-refrigerated spaces in stores or warehouses:
Click image for larger version Name:	91GE4ZoeWjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.8 KB ID:	218318

Aaron Z

It's the clear strips that go on warehouse doors and walk in coolers. No security issue, unless they come with a crane and tractor trailer to rig out the machines.

I see. Seems like might be a problem in high winds. What are the pluses and minuses between this and a more conventional walls/doors.

It's the clear strips that go on warehouse doors and walk in coolers. No security issue, unless they come with a crane and tractor trailer to rig out the machines.

Rigging out a machine takes long enough that that probably turns into a free tractor trailer and a hole that needs digging. :laughing:

I see. Seems like might be a problem in high winds. What are the pluses and minuses between this and a more conventional walls/doors.

Read the thread. If it's only enclosed on a certain number of sides he doesn't need to pull permits. He's not doing it because it's better, he's doing it to check a compliance box.

Read the thread. If it's only enclosed on a certain number of sides he doesn't need to pull permits. He's not doing it because it's better, he's doing it to check a compliance box.

I've probably passed that point but it's is all engineered so if I did have an issue I can pay the fines and work it out.

They will blow around a bit but they are heavy duty. 1/8" thick, 12" wd. I need clear opening on the 40' side, and the only other way is a huge door. It's a lot of work and I've got no time for it. The idea is just keep blowing rain and rain mist from coming in freely.

I've probably passed that point but it's is all engineered so if I did have an issue I can pay the fines and work it out.

Engineered as in "already stamped" or engineered as in "so overkill compared to similiar structures that it will be trivially easy to get a PE's signature"?

You're lucky you can even get permits for what you're doing. I'm gonna have to go the forgiveness route.

Engineered as in "already stamped" or engineered as in "so overkill compared to similiar structures that it will be trivially easy to get a PE's signature"?

You're lucky you can even get permits for what you're doing. I'm gonna have to go the forgiveness route.

My architect friend drew it up for me, so it can be submitted if needed.

i still see shadows. You need more lights. :flipoff2:

Another ufo will go behind the brake. I was going to put two 4' led lights behind it, but they the ones I got are cheap shit and I'm not going to install them. I've got another ufo that was going to go between the two in front where the blank box is, but it will be better behind the brake because I don't think it needs any more up front.

That has got to be loud as fuck with the press (if that's what it is, I can't remember) running.

sprayfoam to silence the walls? :laughing:

That has got to be loud as fuck with the press (if that's what it is, I can't remember) running.

sprayfoam to silence the walls? :laughing:

Ha, I was running it yesterday and thought man this thing is much louder. It's not too bad, certainly not enough to bother me.

Your whole house is awesome. Why not fill in the corner? I think you should look near Wilmington NC for a new place!

Your whole house is awesome. Why not fill in the corner? I think you should look near Wilmington NC for a new place!

NC is a second choice, it seems like less free of a state and taxes are cheaper in SC.

The corner is a door area to get to the driveway at grade level, otherwise it's a long walk around the loading dock down the ramp and back around.

Top Back Refresh