What's new

Shop canopy build.

Last big beam is up and now on to cutting and coping the w10x15 beams to go between.

20201010_193859.jpg
20201010_193828.jpg
20201010_193926.jpg

Still not sold, seen way to much of that shit cracked and coming out from under columns.

Better to set them all on piers below grade and pour over them

Then they did it wrong. Almost every post in every plant down here is grouted, theres a reason for that.

Last big beam is up and now on to cutting and coping the w10x15 beams to go between.

You're supposed to pre cut and flange everything then paint it and let it sit in your yard for a couple years. Then you put it all up over a holiday weekend and when the inspector asks you tell him it's been there forever and gesture at the little rust streaks around the edges. :flipoff2:

I was thinking the same thing. Any chance of a second floor?

It was the original plan. I was going to do a concrete deck above with garden, but the loads were just too much for the 40' span. I would have needed w24x192 girders. That's a 7680lb beam. All the other steel upsizing it basically 3x everything and was over what I wanted to spend.

Now I will just roof it and probably have individual planters with a catwalk to a small sitting area. Trying to figure out how i should support the catwalk and planters over the roof deck now.

You're supposed to pre cut and flange everything then paint it and let it sit in your yard for a couple years. Then you put it all up over a holiday weekend and when the inspector asks you tell him it's been there forever and gesture at the little rust streaks around the edges. :flipoff2:

I asked the inspector when i did my house if i needed a permit to build a cable car over the valley and was told no, nothing in the books for that. So this is the sturcture and loading area for my cable car.

It's a case w7 with a hiab knuckleboom attached. Quite handy but a bit awkward to drive around with all that rear weight.

Looks like a rig from Idiocracy--freaking sweet.

And introducing----SCOOORRPIOOOONNNN!!!!

If it gets tippy, just mount a heavy-ass weight to the pulley area. Then when your crane is folded forward like that, it's all nice an balanced!

Looks like a rig from Idiocracy--freaking sweet.

And introducing----SCOOORRPIOOOONNNN!!!!

If it gets tippy, just mount a heavy-ass weight to the pulley area. Then when your crane is folded forward like that, it's all nice an balanced!

Right now it's got a bucket of gravel. I've got a concrete block I can put in the bucket, or I can mount some steel weights I've got up front somewhere.

It's a case w7 with a hiab knuckleboom attached. Quite handy but a bit awkward to drive around with all that rear weight.

Is the machine in the background for sale? :flipoff2:

I asked the inspector when i did my house if i needed a permit to build a cable car over the valley and was told no, nothing in the books for that. So this is the sturcture and loading area for my cable car.

:laughing:

Do you even own property on the other end

The other w7? Everything is for sale.

Yes, bought the lots on the other side. All connect to my house lot.

I might take you up on that once my parts vehicles are gone. I'm in the market for an older machine like that.

Needs more triangulation. :flipoff2:

Why so many small beams instead of just using more purlins spaced more closely?

Needs more triangulation. :flipoff2:

Why so many small beams instead of just using more purlins spaced more closely?

The triangulation is still to come. It will be cool.

The small beams stabilize the girders and help prevent roll over, and are part of the stepped purlin system that the roof deck attaches to.

Back on this because I had a free day and winters near. Made the stepped perlins and installed. If I get done working early enough tomorrow I'll get the anti roll clips on and it will be ready for roof deck. Deck will be here Monday.

20201114_172649.jpg
20201114_172741.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks you know know WAY more about what you’re doing then anybody “helping?”

That machine is BAD ASS.

Am I the only one that thinks you know know WAY more about what you’re doing then anybody “helping?”

That machine is BAD ASS.

Thanks. I know enough to get by, and search lots of stuff I don't know. :laughing:

Got my anti roll clips in and hoisted the decking up on the roof. I'm going to need to put in another perlin where the panels meet because I forgot the layout when I ordered it.

20201116_171413.jpg
20201116_171541.jpg

i know were all for overkill and what not, but holy hell are you builging a 40 story building on top of that canopy or what :flipoff2:

looks badass though.

i know were all for overkill and what not, but holy hell are you builging a 40 story building on top of that canopy or what :flipoff2:

looks badass though.

Snow load of 55psf. To keep deflection in check over the 40' span takes some steel.

What amount of deflection are you shooting for? I've never seen roof manufacturers publish numbers.

You take span and divide it by a number depending on what the structure needs to do. For example a 40' span/480 would mean 1" deflection under load. A common ratio is span/360.

I have a low pitch and will be running a crane on it so deflection needs to be minimal. Should be under 1" loaded.

You take span and divide it by a number depending on what the structure needs to do. For example a 40' span/480 would mean 1" deflection under load. A common ratio is span/360.

I have a low pitch and will be running a crane on it so deflection needs to be minimal. Should be under 1" loaded.

Right, but how'd you get the bottom number? It's not like you've got ceiling plaster you're trying not to crack and the crane can take fucktons of deflection before it cares.

Right, but how'd you get the bottom number? It's not like you've got ceiling plaster you're trying not to crack and the crane can take fucktons of deflection before it cares.

A low pitch roof doesn't take much to deflect into a no pitch roof :laughing:. Im at .25 per ft. Bridge crane doesn't like to go uphill.

Top Back Refresh