What's new

Shop canopy build.

I like the look, but I don't understand the finish. It looks like bare oiled steel. (Or maybe "blued" steel) While that might look good right now, it's not going to look good long. Do I got this wrong?

NC is a second choice, it seems like less free of a state and taxes are cheaper in SC.

The corner is a door area to get to the driveway at grade level, otherwise it's a long walk around the loading dock down the ramp and back around.

NC is pretty good, but everyone who can work in NC and live in SC prefer to do that for taxes.

I like the look, but I don't understand the finish. It looks like bare oiled steel. (Or maybe "blued" steel) While that might look good right now, it's not going to look good long. Do I got this wrong?

The look now is not what I want. In time it will rust and gain the protective patina. See house in the background.

I ASSume it is something like A588.... cor-ten...?

it's supposed to look like rusty shit :flipoff2:

you got some cool toys deathmachine, thanks for posting you build

Little strip curtain went up today.

20201211_161715.jpg

Ha, I was running it yesterday and thought man this thing is much louder. It's not too bad, certainly not enough to bother me.

Yeah,when you start dropping pieces of 12ga behind that shear with the steel wall to echo it off of,you'll figure out what loud is:flipoff2:

So may be revisiting this project. I'm totally out of shop space, and the chances of me being able to relocate in the next year or two are slim unless an awesome property comes up. Ick I hate that I'm going to invest more in this state.

I think I'm going to cover the second half of the concrete pad. Yea, I should have did it from the start. :flipoff2: The concrete is prepared for this with piers below.

My concrete buddy stopped over today and we talked about pumping the slab on top. It's not going to be much, probably 3.5". I'll have to see what the loads and deflection will be, I can probably get away with it.

Wife wants a hot tub, so I'm going to build the area above the loading dock with some additional steel. Might do a mix of parapet wall and cable railing around it. I've got a spot in the house for a door to go outside from the kitchen. Probably also do a little pergola thing to hang out at, along with some garden stuff and bench.

20230911_165240.jpg

Made some of the connection plates, base plates and stiffeners.
Side quest...
You design this in CAD or ?
I've drawn this stuff before but never dimensioned it out to be dead nuts able to actually put bolt holes in stuff I usually just dim for a dimension but leave enough clearance to fudge the weld tab on the beam.

Sounds dumb reading what I posted but I'm gonna ask anyway :homer:

Side quest...
You design this in CAD or ?
I've drawn this stuff before but never dimensioned it out to be dead nuts able to actually put bolt holes in stuff I usually just dim for a dimension but leave enough clearance to fudge the weld tab on the beam.

Sounds dumb reading what I posted but I'm gonna ask anyway :homer:
It's parts drawn in cad and burned out on the cnc plasma. Only complex stuff ill draw out the whole section and make drill templates.

After I fab the columns connection I measure off of it and drill the girders. Sometimes I won't drill the girder until it's in the connection, or maybe only two to hang it and then mag drill the rest. Depends on the connection and situation.

On these I made the seat and clip angles, punched the holes and set them up on the column to trace the holes so it's all perfect. I didn't take any pics of them.

What does sometimes get you in trouble is a beam rolled with an offset web or a far end of tolerance condition where you fab it and all the stuff doesn't line up.

It's parts drawn in cad and burned out on the cnc plasma. Only complex stuff ill draw out the whole section and make drill templates.

After I fab the columns connection I measure off of it and drill the girders. Sometimes I won't drill the girder until it's in the connection, or maybe only two to hang it and then mag drill the rest. Depends on the connection and situation.

On these I made the seat and clip angles, punched the holes and set them up on the column to trace the holes so it's all perfect. I didn't take any pics of them.

What does sometimes get you in trouble is a beam rolled with an offset web or a far end of tolerance condition where you fab it and all the stuff doesn't line up.
Makes sense, that's about what I am doing.
Now that I have a plasma table and a mag drill I could do a better job of layout but I get scared about building all that shit on the ground and to have to un-fuck it all in the air.

Last edited:
Well I've got a problem. Can't get the b deck rolled in a606t4 from my regular supplier. It's fairly uncommon product.

My options seem to be buy a coil to get a whole bunch (+-10 tons) rolled, or use galvanized and pour concrete over all of it.

Well I've got a problem. Can't get the b deck rolled in a606t4 from my regular supplier. It's fairly uncommon product.

My options seem to be buy a coil to get a whole bunch (+-10 tons) rolled, or use galvanized and pour concrete over all of it.
Win/Win.

You get more patio space with the poured concrete.

Win/Win.

You get more patio space with the poured concrete.
Didn't want to invest any more into this place. Also the concrete is permanent. I can still take this down in a weekend if needed.

It would be real nice if finished off with the rooftop garden and hot tub.

Didn't want to invest any more into this place. Also the concrete is permanent. I can still take this down in a weekend if needed.
Pour a prefab panel and rent a crane for disassembly if need be?

I assume you're worried about people who's choice of employment makes them deserving of a bullet getting uppity when it's time for you to put the thing on MLS

Pour a prefab panel and rent a crane for disassembly if need be?

I assume you're worried about people who's choice of employment makes them deserving of a bullet getting uppity when it's time for you to put the thing on MLS
I think it would only be an issue if I got an unwelcome surprise visit. I would totally take it with me if the new owner didn't want it. Right now it's not attached to the house or enclosed so I'm not too deep into needing to armor a dozer yet.

Concrete looks like driveway from satellite, if I go that route.

Are you saying you can't get any deck in Corten or you can't get B deck in Corten?

Is that not normal pan deck? Galv would be fine I would think....

Is that not normal pan deck? Galv would be fine I would think....
Problem is it's all you see outside the house windows. One half would match the rusted house, and the other be blinding shiny galvanized deck.

Top Back Refresh