What's new

Self defense? Or not? - Apple River Stabbing

IBB Jury - On the charges of intentional first degree homicide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem with this verdict is it’s either self defense or not. If you believe it wasn’t self defense, he should get 2nd degree murder. If you think it’s self defense, he should walk. I think the jury compromised on this reckless shit. I hope the jury gets charged with something they are innocent of and some body compromises and ruins their life.
Not quite. We'd like it to be like that, but it's not.
This is exactly why "imperfect self defense" exists.

Haven't followed the case except on here but I keep seeing posters talk about him charging them. I asked before, didn't he say he thought they had the phone and he ran towards them to get it back and fell into the tubes? If so, it's a mute point to bring that up as aggression IMHO.

It would have been a hung jury if I was on there. Self defense as I see it.

Being swarmed even in shallow water increases the threat level tenfold. As someone else here said, get knocked out or pinned down and the drowning threat is very real.

Probably a few states where he'd walk, I'd imagine. It's a shame our most basic rights like self-defense and right to bear arms are subject to limitations, stipulations and interpretation depending on where you live in the USA.

Makes it sound like the kids possibly pushed and hit him in self defence. All words till oldie drew the knife.
There's the rub and where, apparently, prosecution was more convincing to the jury. In spite of watching the video and realizing the kids had no idea he had a knife. Not even after the river started turning red.

I felt he was innocent until I saw one video where he was away from the tubers around ten or so feet then charged at them early on. That moment he should’ve ate his pride and walked away and went back to his group.

One thing I got out of this whole trial. Either video everything or make sure no one else is.
"charged at them"

Keep in mind they are moving in water with current. Picking your knees up to walk upstream looks more dramatic than it actually is. Also loose footing of a riverbed.

I'd have held out. No way I could convict on this.

"beyond reasonable doubt"

If somebody is holding me down and water is involved, I should be allowed to do whatever it takes to keep an outnumbering angry mob of people at bay.

Last edited:
"charged at them"

Keep in mind they are moving in water with current. Picking your knees up to walk upstream looks more dramatic than it actually is. Also loose footing of a riverbed.

I'd have held out. No way I could convict on this.

"beyond reasonable doubt"

If somebody is holding me down and water is involved, I should be allowed to do whatever it takes to keep an outnumbering angry mob of people at bay.

Cant you not be the agresser for self defence? From what I read earlier he pulled the knife before getting knocked down and punched.

Cant you not be the agresser for self defence? From what I read earlier he pulled the knife before getting knocked down and punched.
aggressor (noun); A person or country that attacks another first

Did he attack first?

But he didn't point it at anyone or seem to threaten them with it. Then he started backing off and the other idiots kept assaulting him so he started sticking.

You can be the initial aggressor but you can "regain your innocence" and then end up the victim. Which is what I fully believe happened here.

That's pretty fucking sad.....
It is...it is.
Sometimes asshats need to be hit in the mouth.

Be that as it may, words aint gonna kill ya. Would you rather be judged by 12, or heckled by 6?

Personally, I choose heckled by 6. But my self awareness does not hinge on some loud mouth gen z fags. Talk is cheap.

Or use your learned ability to communicate and say i'm looking for a lost phone

Then maybe, just maybe he's not looking at ~15yrs in prison

Or use your learned ability to communicate and say i'm looking for a lost phone

Then maybe, just maybe he's not looking at ~15yrs in prison

Sounds boring. How about saying "I'm looking for unclaimed college age assholes to fill with 29 lbs of river rock and see how far they can float then"? :flipoff2:

But he didn't point it at anyone or seem to threaten them with it.
And it seems like the DA scolded him for that, don't you think?
As if his case could have been if he had.

Go down fighting.
jesus christ that's jason bourne

08c0d9f2-822e-4120-b48a-e3cafd3150d0-1646595038178.jpg

Let your attackers murder you or go to prison. We see it happening every day.

"Your punishment for having a knife when they searched you would be very different from the thief’s. For him to have a knife was mere misbehavior, tradition, he didn’t know any better. But for you to have one was ‘terrorism.’”

Top Back Refresh