What's new

Seats: Corbeau Baja RS suspension seats

Winchested

IH Scout SSII
Member Number
So looking into a set of these seats, never had a proper seat of suspension seats and I'm tired of the Cobalt SS seats I've got in my SSII.

I want them reclineable for kid access in the back, or do I say :flipoff2: them and just get fixed back seats.

Summit racing is about the option for me to get them up in canaduh. With the Scout II dual seat sliders it comes in at $1700 cdn... Puke.

Or do I just go get some BMW seats from the yard for $75 ea?

Not racing, just a Crawler and want 4/5 pt belts. So I guess closer to $2100 by the time I add belts.

Is that dumb as a shit?

I'm 5'10. 185 lbs. Will they fit me good?

Best thing I did to a crawler was add suspension seats. Even my cheap ass corbeaus are more comfy than a factory seat. We just did a 2 week trip and spent a ton of time in those seats and never felt beat up. Yesterday we did an all day trip in my 96 4runner with decent seats and I was sore towards the end.

My Baja SS fixed backs were removed in about a year for PRP comp pro highbacks. I was happy at first but that quickly faded. They didn't fit me well (I'm 6'4" though), sides started getting torn up almost from day one and they were sagged out a good bit in just that short amount of time. My PRP's just got new seat foams, over a decade old now though. They were in my truggy and now my buggy. I did bend a frame in a roll, I was also knocked out in that roll though.

My advise on seats is take measurements of yourself and compare them to the seat specs. Make sure it's tall enough, harness slot are in a good position for you and will fit width wise and will fit in your vehicle. Get a seat that fits you correctly regardless of the brand. Same with the harness, put some though into how it's going to mount and what will fit you needs best. I will say stitched in pads are the cats pajamas though IMHO.

Best thing I did to a crawler was add suspension seats. Even my cheap ass corbeaus are more comfy than a factory seat. We just did a 2 week trip and spent a ton of time in those seats and never felt beat up. Yesterday we did an all day trip in my 96 4runner with decent seats and I was sore towards the end.
Thanks for the advice.

Ya did 13 hrs straight driving from southern, ON to crossville, TN last week and we were dead sore afterward.

5’9” 180# on my license.

5’8” by now and 215.

I snug right in. Going up to the shop in 10 mins I’ll take a pic of both. Bought all used to see what I liked. Been looking for another used PRP.

I should have mentioned, Most any standard size seat is way too short of a back for anyone taller than a kid.

We have the cheap corbeaus and Mastercraft seats in the crawler, hieght wise, they are similar and no joke both are about right for my 10 year old. Even my 5' 4" wife is way too tall for them. Not sure who they make these seats for, but apparently not adult humans.

Plan is to get custom sized prp eventually.

Ok so 2 hours later after being out of town since Thursday, my time is my time.

The side bolsters on the Corbeaus are splayed out too far unless your ass is 30” wide.
IMG_0768.jpeg
IMG_0767.jpeg

I should have mentioned, Most any standard size seat is way too short of a back for anyone taller than a kid.

We have the cheap corbeaus and Mastercraft seats in the crawler, hieght wise, they are similar and no joke both are about right for my 10 year old. Even my 5' 4" wife is way too tall for them. Not sure who they make these seats for, but apparently not adult humans.

Plan is to get custom sized prp eventually.
I've got friends that have the 2 diff corbeau husband has fixed back bajas and wife has Baja XRS in hers.

Ill go to their place and sit in the seats for a bit and see what I like better.

I hate the Cobalt seats for the fact the head rest is straight up and you can't actually rest your head on it. My Ford fusion seats way better as it angles forward.

Almost thinking the BMW seats might be nicer...

Fuck it. I'm going to the wreckers morrow and sitting in all kinds of shit. $75 ea seat. I need to find a good gm hydroboost for the Scout anyhow.

One of the first mods I do to a vehicle is new seats. I’ve had the Baja rs in 2 different vehicles including one that I still daily.

In my current project truck I have a pair of Baja jp seats for driver/passenger and a prp roadster for the bitch seat. The corbeau jp I’m using were originally from a different project that changed direction but they are really comfy and will most likely be even better once broken in. Well worth the money, especially considering how much is spent in other areas of a project. You’re in the seat every time you drive the damn thing.
IMG_9234.jpeg

Fuck off.

For personal vehicle use in a non-racing environment expired shit is fine. Expired shit is probably still fine for racing use but it gets shit-canned because it's unreasonable to expect someone at a tech station to be making judgement calls about how UV faded is too UV faded.

It's not about what will work fine. It's about what you can verify will work fine once human judgement has been removed from the equation. If you add human judgement back into the equation then a whole lot more shit can work fine. It's getting real tiresome listening to you Reddit engineer types act like this isn't the case.

Ain't no different than tires and the arbitrary expiration date rules of thumb you people are always pushing.

If I am going to bother to buy and wear harnesses then damn right they will be new. Harnesses are fucking cheap compared to the rest of this shit.

To the OP everyone is spot on about the cheap suspension seat being small. If you can find OEM seating that works for you that may be a safer route vs undersized suspension seats.
Long term goal is get yourself proper seats and NEW harnesses.
Good vehicle suspension and suspension seats make wheeling a way better experience overall.

If I am going to bother to buy and wear harnesses then damn right they will be new. Harnesses are fucking cheap compared to the rest of this shit.

To the OP everyone is spot on about the cheap suspension seat being small. If you can find OEM seating that works for you that may be a safer route vs undersized suspension seats.
Long term goal is get yourself proper seats and NEW harnesses.
Good vehicle suspension and suspension seats make wheeling a way better experience overall.
What do you know about all of this anyway, you're just another Reddit engineer :flipoff2:

Did you buy yours new and throw them away after 3 yeas and replace?
I bought them new from Crow and actually just sent them out for re-webbing and re-certification since I started working on my buggy again.

Used can't be any worse than my junk yard jeep TJ 3 pts....

Came out the wreckers with 2 minty leather BMW 325i heated all electric seats and a minty gm hydro boost for$200 cdn with a bunch of misc sensors. New winter project trying to figure out the seat wiring and and 3 level heatwd.

Would have cost me $2k+ for suspension seat with heat...

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I will be getting a set of floor mount harnesses.
20231002_130935.jpg

I added heated pad off amazon to my seats it was easy and works well. For anyone who’s searching.

Good luck, stock leather seats sound terrible for wheelin. My thought is that your lower body sliding around with no bolsters and upper body moving around with typical factory belts is part of what makes you feel sore or beat up.

Also, heated stuff is easy to add, even the $10 heated covers my wife got me work great :laughing:

Just to add some experience w the Corbeau RS in case someone searches - if you are a bigger person you might want to look at another model. I'm 6'1 275, for reference. The seat back was definitely way too low as has been mentioned. Also, the seat frame rails below the seat cushion in the RS's were pretty much inline w my hips and were really uncomfortable on the ol' glutes. Felt like I was almost bottomed out on the rails just sitting in them, so bouncing down a trail was not comfortable. If you are less heavy/thicc you will probably be ok.

I'm not sure if overall weight or width plays a bigger factor, but I just went back to normal seats. I would like to find some wide suspension seats to ride in for a day and see if that makes any difference.

Good luck, stock leather seats sound terrible for wheelin. My thought is that your lower body sliding around with no bolsters and upper body moving around with typical factory belts is part of what makes you feel sore or beat up.

Also, heated stuff is easy to add, even the $10 heated covers my wife got me work great :laughing:
The BMW seats have way more bolster than the junk Chevy seats that are in it. Hopefully with 4 pt harnesses it'll keep me where I need to be.

Ps I'm more concerned about long drive on the highway than 6 hours of wheeling. At least wheeling I get out and stretch/ walk around Atleast once an hour. Usually when someone with a heep breaks their junk. :lmao:

Seems like you’ve already decided but I’ll add for future. I think these are Corbeau RS? Picked two up for like $100

I’m 6’3” 215 and I find them comfortable. I think most seats are going to be “short” for my height, look at the stock seat next to it. At 215 I find the “hugging” to be just right on dem hips. Maybe I just got lucky with the way I mounted them to the stock sliders, the seat seems to travel in an arc so I can kinda adjust the recline by sliding it forward and backwards. Stock seat was terrible and I was sore after just a short day trip in them.
I think Corbeau sells replacement covers too, which eventually I’ll do, but for now I just throw a towel over these.

1696609867303.jpeg

Seems like you’ve already decided but I’ll add for future. I think these are Corbeau RS? Picked two up for like $100

I’m 6’3” 215 and I find them comfortable. I think most seats are going to be “short” for my height, look at the stock seat next to it. At 215 I find the “hugging” to be just right on dem hips. Maybe I just got lucky with the way I mounted them to the stock sliders, the seat seems to travel in an arc so I can kinda adjust the recline by sliding it forward and backwards. Stock seat was terrible and I was sore after just a short day trip in them.
I think Corbeau sells replacement covers too, which eventually I’ll do, but for now I just throw a towel over these.

1696609867303.jpeg
The corbeau replacement covers were expensive. I got a cheap set of seats and got the covers and I was most of the way to a new set. Foam was fucked because the old seat cover was stuck to it.

Top Back Refresh