What's new

School me on 9" ratios

Yes. Crazy enough they are all the same bolt pattern on pinion support. The good ones are commonly called “Daytona pinion supports” you can look that up. The tubeworks Duplex pinion supports were using bolt right into a regular N case, MegaHi, and Gearworks cases. So they all take the same generic pinion support shims.
Yeah...got the Daytona pinion supports on the regular 9" thirds for the portals. Good to know....Thanks for the info and I apologize for my stupid questions. Thanks for your patience.

When looking at the cheapest assembled 3rds available, is there anything that is worth it to just pony up for?

When looking at the cheapest assembled 3rds available, is there anything that is worth it to just pony up for?
Personally, I'd say getting at least a nodular housing, 3.25" bearings, 1.5" 35 spline capability, a solid pinion spacer over the standard crush sleeve, & Daytona pinion support would be a good starting point in the 'cheapest' 3rds. That said, if you're running something with decent horsepower....the 35 spline upgrade JR4X mentioned seems like a no-brainer...but that's unlikely to be a cheap assembled 3rd. I'd personally inquire with ECGS, Quick Performance, etc. to see if they'll do the standard build and find out what the upcharge for 35 spline pinion would run. If you do so and don't mind...post up. Thanks.

Looking at the available 9" gears on ECGS's site....I don't even see any options for 35 spline pinion....looks to be all 28 spline.

The assembled 3rds are always tempting, but I'd have a hard time not using a GW 3rd for basically any build.

The only other way I'd think about going is aluminum on something like a suzuki.

The assembled 3rds are always tempting, but I'd have a hard time not using a GW 3rd for basically any build.

The only other way I'd think about going is aluminum on something like a suzuki.
Agreed...that load bolt is a really nice feature that's generally reserved for the aluminum castings since Moser, Strange, Currie, Yukon, etc. don't offer it in nodular iron.

Personally, I'd say getting at least a nodular housing, 3.25" bearings, 1.5" 35 spline capability, a solid pinion spacer over the standard crush sleeve, & Daytona pinion support would be a good starting point in the 'cheapest' 3rds. That said, if you're running something with decent horsepower....the 35 spline upgrade JR4X mentioned seems like a no-brainer...but that's unlikely to be a cheap assembled 3rd. I'd personally inquire with ECGS, Quick Performance, etc. to see if they'll do the standard build and find out what the upcharge for 35 spline pinion would run. If you do so and don't mind...post up. Thanks.

Looking at the available 9" gears on ECGS's site....I don't even see any options for 35 spline pinion....looks to be all 28 spline.

I see it as an option on quick performance site. I’ve heard ecgs isn’t the best at listing everything they have on their website but calling will get more options.

1704650023177.png

I see it as an option on quick performance site. I’ve heard ecgs isn’t the best at listing everything they have on their website but calling will get more options.

1704650023177.png
Wow...that's fantastic as an option and for only $85...too bad they don't do ARBs (that's the next set of 3rds I need). Wish I'd done that for the pair I got from ECGS. And yes, I've found that too....call/email for a LOT more options from ECGS.

EDIT...just looked. I could kick myself. QuickPerformance doesn't list ARB in their drop down for complete thirds, but they do sell them....so I bet you can get them as part of a build...just have to pay the difference I'd assume. Sucks, as I went with ECGS b/c of the warranty but didn't love that I wasn't selecting whose 3rd I was actually getting (got Yukons which would have been my last choice). Damn. Live and learn I guess. Looks like I'll be going QP for my next set. Thanks for posting up....really appreciate the extra info.

EDIT2: Ahh...now I see the problem. I was looking at buying complete 3rds (which doesn't have a drop down option for 35 spline pinion gears).

I've set up gears a total of twice on my D60s in my current buggy. While it wasn't that bad...I did spend a full weekend doing it with a lot of cussing and found it tedious to set up perfectly. One thing I liked about drop out thirds is being able to just order them set up already.

In this case, QP only lists the 35 spline pinion option in the builder kits. I'd assume you can still call to request 35 spline pinions for complete builds....but it may be more than an $85 upcharge (JFYI for those following along).

Last edited:
Last edited:
And the next question (related to building a 9" 3rd specifically to a certain application)....anyone know who makes a yoke (or can do a custom one) for a 35 spline Ford 9" pinion to a Toyota driveline triple pattern flange? TrailGear makes the 28 spline (which is what I got on the ones from ECGS)....but if I want the bigger pinion for the ARB equipped 3rds, I need to find someone who will do a custom pinion flange. I know Jesse at High Angle and WFO both do D60 and 14B to Toyota flanges. I guess I could ask there unless someone here knows someone already doing a Ford 9" 35 spline pinion to Toyota flange.

Interesting....

This is what I was referring to fwiw

Yukon makes a load bolt case, but it's about double the price of GW last I looked :homer:

As of maybe 2 years ago there definitely was a iron Yukon load bolt case. TBH I don't go looking for anything from Yukon anymore so it may be discontinued.

Yeah I feel like I see videos of Jesse @ HAD turning and broaching custom flanges somewhat regularly. That would prob be the first call for me. But then I'd also wonder if a toyota joint (as strong as they are) warrants a 35 spline pinion :laughing:

When looking for 9" gears with 35 spline pinions, I've found them labeled as "pro gears" pretty regularly, but that also usually comes with being made of 9310 material

So are the 10 bolt pinion supports just two sets of the OEM 5 bolt pattern?

Yeah I feel like I see videos of Jesse @ HAD turning and broaching custom flanges somewhat regularly. That would prob be the first call for me. But then I'd also wonder if a toyota joint (as strong as they are) warrants a 35 spline pinion :laughing:

He makes Toyota flanges for almost everything. Even the 14b which needs to be 2 piece.

He also regards good Toyota ujoints as more or less equal to 1350s. The nice thing about them is they're all flanged, and generally get better angle. I know more than a few guys who went through all the progression of 1 tons > V8 > big tcase. And still run Toyota driveshafts with good success.

When looking for 9" gears with 35 spline pinions, I've found them labeled as "pro gears" pretty regularly, but that also usually comes with being made of 9310 material

I was wondering that also

EDIT2: Ahh...now I see the problem. I was looking at buying complete 3rds (which doesn't have a drop down option for 35 spline pinion gears).

In this case, QP only lists the 35 spline pinion option in the builder kits. I'd assume you can still call to request 35 spline pinions for complete builds....but it may be more than an $85 upcharge (JFYI for those following along).
Yes they do have 35 spline pinion gears listed in the complete 3rd member. It’s at the very bottom of the gear ratio list. “BP Pro”. Big Pinion pro gears.

I would assume if they list it on the case that it’s available somehow on the fully assembled.
I was looking at that QP option because I might buy this used GW 35 sp locker for cheapish and then be in the same boat of having to figure out setup.

Last edited:
As of maybe 2 years ago there definitely was a iron Yukon load bolt case. TBH I don't go looking for anything from Yukon anymore so it may be discontinued.
Same. They've really gone in the shitter.

Destructive testing (I think by Jesse actually) said the OEM Toyota joint was close to the same breaking strength as a 1350 Spicer and (knocking on wood now)...I've never broken one and most of the portal guys are running them (obviously b/c they're also running Toy 3rds in most cases) I've never broken a Toyota or 9" pinion either...so there's also that.

He makes Toyota flanges for almost everything. Even the 14b which needs to be 2 piece.

He also regards good Toyota ujoints as more or less equal to 1350s. The nice thing about them is they're all flanged, and generally get better angle. I know more than a few guys who went through all the progression of 1 tons > V8 > big tcase. And still run Toyota driveshafts with good success.

I was wondering that also
2 piece? I bought one from WFO and it's a one piece. 14 Bolt to Toyota Forged Drive Line Flange | WFOConcepts.com You mean like an adapter to the Toyota pattern?

Yes they do have 35 spline pinion gears listed in the complete 3rd member. It’s at the very bottom of the gear ratio list. “BP Pro”. Big Pinion pro gears.
Seems like they only do BP option 3.50s to 4.86s though (which works great for me, luckily).... Is that correct? I only looked at their "Pro" Strange and Moser offerings though.

Thanks for posting that. I clearly didn't scroll down far enough.

Seems like they only do BP option 3.50s to 4.86s though (which works great for me, luckily).... Is that correct? I only looked at their "Pro" Strange and Moser offerings though.

Thanks for posting that. I clearly didn't scroll down far enough.
I think that’s all the ratios that are made in a 9” big pinion.

Destructive testing (I think by Jesse actually) said the OEM Toyota joint was close to the same breaking strength as a 1350 Spicer and (knocking on wood now)...I've never broken one and most of the portal guys are running them (obviously b/c they're also running Toy 3rds in most cases) I've never broken a Toyota or 9" pinion either...so there's also that.

During my own destructive testing I killed 3 1350s at my 14b with a JY Toyota CV. I swapped to a HAD flange and blow the caps out the CV now if it's bound up real bad.

During my own destructive testing I killed 3 1350s at my 14b with a JY Toyota CV. I swapped to a HAD flange and blow the caps out the CV now if it's bound up real bad.
LOL, it's going to be obvious after you say it but what's a JY Toyota CV and HAD flange?

Top Back Refresh