What's new

Samurai!

Arts and crafts time with CAD.

20230211_121127.jpg

Close enough.

20230211_132842.jpg

Now that it's welded in, I think I should have bead rolled some ribs in it.

Funny, I'd forgotten about this, got some rain today so I was inside fucking around. Went to DR and site was dead. Hoped you'd moved it over here and kept it up. Badass, can't wait to see it done.

Dude….

Apparently I haven’t opened the door on the Suzuki section since November. You started this thread the same time I started my Bronco build.

Love what you have here. So many questions…. Can’t wait to ask them once you can drive it.

Dude….

Apparently I haven’t opened the door on the Suzuki section since November. You started this thread the same time I started my Bronco build.

Love what you have here. So many questions…. Can’t wait to ask them once you can drive it.
The build actually started about 4 years ago. So, don't get your hopes up for a test drive anytime soon. As long as it doesn't flip over in the first 5 min proving my buddy wrong I'll consider it a win.

The build actually started about 4 years ago. So, don't get your hopes up for a test drive anytime soon. As long as it doesn't flip over in the first 5 min proving my buddy wrong I'll consider it a win.
Did the original forum you started the build thread on ever come back to life?

It was dead middle of this week when I went over to check the progress for the first time in a while

Yes, it's back up. You may have to clear your browser to get it to show. It's pretty dead over there though. Letting the site go down for weeks at a time a couple times a year really runs off the people. Who knew :homer:.

Even with refresh, here is what DR has to say about your thread:
Fatal error: Uncaught LogicException: Cannot load Redis cache provider without Redis in /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/CacheFactory.php:201 Stack trace: #0 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/CacheFactory.php(79): XF\CacheFactory->createRedisCache(Array) #1 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/CacheFactory.php(34): XF\CacheFactory->instantiate('Redis', Array) #2 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/App.php(632): XF\CacheFactory->create('Redis', Array) #3 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/Container.php(228): XF\App->XF\{closure}('', Array, Object(XF\Container)) #4 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/App.php(2342): XF\Container->create('cache', '') #5 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/App.php(659): XF\App->cache('registry') #6 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/Container.php(28): XF\App->XF\{closure}(Object(XF\Container)) #7 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/App.php(1643): XF\Container->offsetGet('registry') #8 /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/Container.php(28): XF\App->XF\{closure}(Object(XF\Container)) #9 /home2/dezran in /home2/dezrange/public_html/src/XF/CacheFactory.php on line 201

Yeah, fuck that place. It's sad cause there's a lot of great builds on it but the owner just doesn't give a shit.

Ok, since it's hot as balls outside it's time to work in the AC.

First up was replacing the top rear shock mounts cause the tire hit the shock resi at full bump. Not sure what I was smoking when I did that but I obviously never cycled it with a fucking tire on it.

20230819_130900.jpg

20230819_132326.jpg

Angled the inside one back to grab the other diagonal and help tie the butt weld together.

20230819_134940.jpg

Plenty of clearance meow.

20230819_132336.jpg

With those done it's time to start paneling in the back. Started with one big piece.

20230819_201113.jpg

Quickly realized that was a good way to waste material. It would also look great till I started welding on it.......

So I switched to making smaller filler panels. The edges are flanged where they meet the square tube so they can be stich welded from the backside.

20230821_185212.jpg

20230821_185222.jpg

This also allows for a little size adjustment. There will be lots of seam sealer going on before paint.

20230821_185327.jpg

And all welded in on the backside.

20230821_193111.jpg

The end seam to the cage tube will get TIGed, but I need to bring the good helmet and my cheaters home from work.

Since this one worked out the rest will start getting made at work this week.

Those are 1/2" lip. If I had this method of paneling dreamed up when I was doing the cage, the square tube would have gotten put in flush to the inner edge of the round tube and not centered on it. The mismatch in edges is a bummer but not enough to make me want to do anything about it.

well this is an interesting concept.

the start of dr is sad indeed. so much knowledge lost

Top of wheelwell fill panels. Decided that one big panel would be damn near impossible to make. Also thought that it would be nice to have a removable panel over the shocks to aid in install, removal and adjustments.

20240211_175713.jpg

20240211_155418.jpg

Now on to the gaps by the tailgate.

Just the front one needed shortening. It's an F150 IFS diff and the extension tube needed to come off.
Do you know if you can machine them to fit two short side shafts? I'm guessing two drivers side shafts?

Do you know if you can machine them to fit two short side shafts? I'm guessing two drivers side shafts?
Yes. The bearing race needs to get welded up because it's slightly oversize. Same with the seal bore. Mine uses 2 short shafts. If you don't need high pinion, explorer rear diff is just as narrow.

What lockers are you running in these? Everything I find is supposedly only for a rear 8.8. I can't find any info on how the front carrier is actually different from the rear carriers.

What lockers are you running in these? Everything I find is supposedly only for a rear 8.8. I can't find any info on how the front carrier is actually different from the rear carriers.
Anything that fits in the rear will fit in a front as far as I know. The rear is an OX locker, the front is a tru-trac.

Anything that fits in the rear will fit in a front as far as I know. The rear is an OX locker, the front is a tru-trac.
Interesting. Thats what I'm hoping for. The only listings I can find for the front of an F150 seems to be an eaton LSD. Plenty of stuff for rear applications though.

Top Back Refresh