What's new

Samurai!

bdkw1

Member Number
Loc
Misery
Ok, since the website I was doing a build thread on is down and doesn't look like it's coming back this time I will continue the build here.

As I sits today.

20221105_191753.jpg

20221105_191817.jpg

Specs

1.9 ALH TDI
AX15
LT230
8.8 TTB's both ends.
King bypass airshocks
KM3 35X10.5x15 UTV tires on lightened Alcoa rims.

I may add some older pics but it's a pain since my laptop took a shit.

Link please

:flipoff2:

This is cool... interesting with dual TTB.

Love the engine/trans/tcase combo. What ratio is the LT230?

This is cool... interesting with dual TTB.

Love the engine/trans/tcase combo. What ratio is the LT230?
1.22 high range. This let's me run stock 3.73's in the diffs for 4.55 overall. If I need to regear, easy and cheaper to change the T-case gears.

1.22 high range. This let's me run stock 3.73's in the diffs for 4.55 overall. If I need to regear, easy and cheaper to change the T-case gears.
Definitely post info on the adapter setup. Those are pretty attractive alternative tcases with the high range reduction and some of them were in the 3.XX range for Low gears.

Why did you go 8.8 for the TTB?
Weight and strength. Saves about 15# over a D44 and has 31 spline axles. Rear is out of an exploder,, front is F150 that the extension tube was removed to make it narrower.

Definitely post info on the adapter setup. Those are pretty attractive alternative tcases with the high range reduction and some of them were in the 3.XX range for Low gears.

Basically the only hang up is that adapters are $1200-1600.

Adapter was by DCS

I had to drill new holes to clock it. It doesn't actually clear the AX15 tailshaft housing. I cut a window out and welded a curved filler piece back in to clear the shifter on the case.

20210803_190923.jpg

A longer adapter would help out with this.

Basically the only hang up is that adapters are $1200-1600.
890 for the DCS one.

The real issue I see is the size of the output shafts. They are very small. I know buckwild put a lot of power through them racing KOH, but it still makes me nervous.

LT230s are super easy to divorce.

bdkw1 badass build ! I'm suprised you went with a tdi engine. Not very go fast-ish.

Serch newb!

Or look 3 posts up..... :flipoff2:
:homer:

Damn it

The link you posted in the tcase thread was a dead one. We must have posted at the same time and I missed it in this thread :laughing:

$900 isn't completely terrible vs the $1600 for the one I found.

To try and stay on topic. The 8.8 diffs are aluminum?

Also curious on the tdi choice. I'd think an ecotech or any other small gas turbo 4cyl would have been the engine of choice.

LT230s are super easy to divorce.

bdkw1 badass build ! I'm suprised you went with a tdi engine. Not very go fast-ish.
Yes they are, I almost went that way.

ALH is 95? Hp stock. Stage 1 tune is 110hp and really wakes them up. After it's running and driving I have another motor to build for it. Goal is 200hp and 300ftlb. Thar should move a Sami along nicely. Plus it will get mid 30's on the highway. With the 22G tank I built it should have some good range.

Too long and too wierd.
Long ? It's super short. Edit : I looked it up, I guess I'm used to bigger engines, but it seemed small to me.

Weird, I'll give you that. But even without a turbo, they move.

Long ? It's super short.

Weird, I'll give you that. But even without a turbo, they move.
Longer than an ALH. I had to stretch the front 4" to fit a decent sized radiator and have room hood fan and shroud. Plus the cooler for the water to air intercooler.

So 4ws or no?
Maybe. I have an idea of putting another box back there and running a shaft off the steering column to turn it. It would have a gearbox that would lock when put disconnect. It would also reverse direction for Crab walking. With a 94"WB and 32* of steering, I don't think it will be needed. This isn't a hard core crawler, more of a trail/Baja rig.

I really like what you did with those factory Alcoa forged wheels, they look great with the tear drops cut into them. That pattern and mirror polishing job makes them look like some high dollar tuner wheel.

Last edited:
Sad day, I started cutting up the spare tub for patch panels.

20221106_123924.jpg

That tub was rust free, really wish I would have had it when I started.

Ok, managed to reclaim some photos.

The unit bearing hubs I made. I needed the OD of the unit bearing to be large enough to pass the CV through since you can't put the spindle on with the axle in the beam, no room.

20180329_093546.jpg

20180331_152554.jpg

20180417_164316.jpg

20180331_155908.jpg

They started out as F150 unit bearings, the flange got turned off for a press fit into the new aluminum housing. It has bolt on retainers to keep it in place. The CV's are F150 also. I made axles to mate them to the 8.8 diffs.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh