What's new

Random stuff you made.

Base is roughly 6” square, about 9.5” tall
EB9AB622-9C48-483B-BDF1-D5E8BB6B5809.jpeg
24C84694-3B80-48CE-890D-B6319E3C84C2.jpeg
I'll add it to my daily bored as F CAD sessions.

Built an IH branded Cat Door today, one of our cats has broken 2 plastic doors going from the basement to their outdoor run under the deck, I will be very impressed if he breaks this one, built out of a piece of the twine compartment door from a IH 404 baler that I scrapped a while back and a piece of 1/4" (ish?) smooth rod that was part of the net for a trampoline.
1000087821.jpg

1000087820.jpg

1000087824.jpg

Aaron Z

Built an IH branded Cat Door today, one of our cats has broken 2 plastic doors going from the basement to their outdoor run under the deck, I will be very impressed if he breaks this one, built out of a piece of the twine compartment door from a IH 404 baler that I scrapped a while back and a piece of 1/4" (ish?) smooth rod that was part of the net for a trampoline.

Aaron Z

Nice, that looks like something I would do with leftover steel from cleaning up old farm equipment! I have so many small pieces of sheet metal it is unreal. Best part is I can usually find the perfect sized piece or almost perfect sized piece so that I don't waste hardly any. :laughing:

I'm sure that cat is going to be surprised after he runs into that at full speed.
One has made it in and out, not sure if the other has yet.
Nice, that looks like something I would do with leftover steel from cleaning up old farm equipment! I have so many small pieces of sheet metal it is unreal. Best part is I can usually find the perfect sized piece or almost perfect sized piece so that I don't waste hardly any. :laughing:
I ended up with a 4" square leftover piece, so it wasn't a perfect re-use :grinpimp:

Aaron Z

IMG-1464.jpg

Off to a decent start on door panels besides the shitty lines. I’m gonna use carpet on the lower section and separate the vinyl and carpet with some trim. The part I’m not sure about is the edge of the carpet section and how to finish it or just roll it under the edge. Maybe make some kind of welting? Any suggestions?

IMG-1468.jpg
IMG-1467.jpg

That’s what I’m thinking,roughly,the top of the carpet will be covered with the trim but not sure about the bottom and sides of the carpet. Maybe welting isn’t right but some type of edging

Edit: Carpet binding is used on the carpet edges.

Last edited:
Finally finished up my dump trailer build. The back half of the Dodge truck came from the donor I used for my Fummins. I had the toolbox and electric/hydraulic pump I've been tripping over for years. The "hydraulic tank" is a 20lb propane cylinder I picked up out of the highway. They wouldn't certify and refill it cuz it had dents and the valve shroud was bent. So I used the valve bung to feed the pump with some 3/4" copper out of my plumbing supplies. Then I welded in two 1" pipe nipples. Made one of them the vent by grinding out four reliefs in the threads for airflow.

The cylinder I spent dollars on. But ... I got in on Black Friday for 40% off. It's a 90" three stage telescopic unit rated for 7 tons. That should be enough to bend the trailer in half if I overload it (which will definitely happen).

IMG_20240128_125143482.jpg

IMG_20240128_130021791.jpg

IMG_20240128_130047955.jpg

Finally finished up my dump trailer build. The back half of the Dodge truck came from the donor I used for my Fummins. I had the toolbox and electric/hydraulic pump I've been tripping over for years. The "hydraulic tank" is a 20lb propane cylinder I picked up out of the highway. They wouldn't certify and refill it cuz it had dents and the valve shroud was bent. So I used the valve bung to feed the pump with some 3/4" copper out of my plumbing supplies. Then I welded in two 1" pipe nipples. Made one of them the vent by grinding out four reliefs in the threads for airflow.

The cylinder I spent dollars on. But ... I got in on Black Friday for 40% off. It's a 90" three stage telescopic unit rated for 7 tons. That should be enough to bend the trailer in half if I overload it (which will definitely happen).

IMG_20240128_125143482.jpg

IMG_20240128_130021791.jpg

IMG_20240128_130047955.jpg
No frame under the box?
That thing's gonna fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

How'd you make the hinge?

No
No frame under the box?
That thing's gonna fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

How'd you make the hinge?
I am a little concerned about that. I guess we'll find out the first time I use it. I do have a piece of 2x1/4 square tube running crossways under the front wall of the box, and the a 4"angle iron welded to it, then bolted thru the front wall. That's what the cylinder is lifting against, not just the sheetmetal.

The hinges were made by cutting the last 6" or so of the frame, boxing it, and using seamless tubing and cold roll for pins.

IMG_20240128_175148834.jpg

IMG_20240128_175205855.jpg

IMG_20240128_175301967.jpg

IMG-1468.jpg
IMG-1467.jpg

That’s what I’m thinking,roughly,the top of the carpet will be covered with the trim but not sure about the bottom and sides of the carpet. Maybe welting isn’t right but some type of edging

Edit: Carpet binding is used on the carpet edges.
Go to a real fabric store.
Just don't take a purse along, ask for piping/edging.. I forget what it's called.

The real upholstery store closed back in December, now it’s just Joann’s and they don’t have shit

The real upholstery store closed back in December, now it’s just Joann’s and they don’t have shit

You might get lucky at a decent fabric store. One of ours makes rugs out of remnants and I've had them edge car carpets before.

Any high end home design or flooring type businesses in your area? If so, give them a call and ask who they send carpets to for edging to turn them into rugs. I had carpet edged to make rugs to cover the carpet in the RV.

I didn't build this but Dad did. A 3/4" piece of plate with a squarish hole in it and a short piece of 1/4" chain. Slip the plate over a steel tee post and lift and it pulls them right out.
I just wrapped the chain around one of the forks on the FEL

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_170014317_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240129_170014317_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 84
I didn't build this but Dad did. A 3/4" piece of plate with a squarish hole in it and a short piece of 1/4" chain. Slip the plate over a steel tee post and lift and it pulls them right out.
I just wrapped the chain around one of the forks on the FEL
You’re looks beefier, we had one that was more rounder than the one in the pic when I was a kid.
391183FD-393B-490D-9DC9-D7B12474D0B3.png

We just leave the chain long and have one person driving the loader and another on the ground. Two wraps around the post and hold the loose end of the chain snug and it'll pull just about any t-post out. Smooth ones with the holes instead of the bumps on them and really stuck ones get a 3rd wrap. Then after it's out the loader operator lowers the bucket back down and you flip the chain off of the post and throw the post into the bucket.

Top Back Refresh