What's new

Random stuff you made.

I agree.

Possibly. It only occurred to me after I’d made the decision to cut up the turnbuckles.
Please please please build some all steel wheels to go with that cart.
If it's for work and you need to justify it, it's because they can't burn...

20in+steel+wagon+wheels.jpg

Built this keypad stand thingy for my fuel tanks on the farm. You have to type in the correct keycode and it will let power through to the fuel pumps for 1/2 hour. (used a time delay switch so it can be set for any time from 1 second up to 10 days.) At which point it will shut off and you have to re-enter the code again in order to send power to the pumps. Also have locks on the tanks and a locked gate to get into the area so hopefully it will be an additional thing to deter theft...

IMG_2024-01-10_11-39-21.jpeg

IMG_2024-01-10_11-39-30.jpeg

Several sections of fence were falling down and had we to replace them and make it match the pipe/angle/2x4s the rest of the fence line is made of. At the same time my wife was complaining about the lack of entertainment space we have anywhere so we turned the corner of one of the yards into a gazebo/pergola contraption.

20230625_115208.jpg
IMG_20230713_075616_077.jpg 20230709_123239.jpg IMG_20230713_075615_866.jpg IMG_20230731_110113_271.jpg

This design got modeled and revised a half dozen times until my wife and I both agreed. With that I ordered a delivery of redwood.

(edited)_20230817_181909.png 20230817_181757.jpg

Chopped it all up, predrilled some holes and my wife stained ALL of it. She had to have the color she wanted and it cost in terms of labor, but she showed up and put in the work.

20230820_130113_vQPVvYNMCYFZrQyk8J9Rp4.jpg 20230819_193317_mfcbBKxno5Xzek2CiSptKW.jpg

Prior to that my BIL helped grade the spot and I trenched for irrigation/electrical/drainage. I got all the pipes in wild and brought in a few tons of 3/4 minus and ran it all in. The concrete crew showed up and put in bar and got it pump/placed/finished.

IMG_20230731_110113_390.jpg 20230808_154813_kQLb958AB3Z5bzMXA5EsyN.jpg 20230811_185958.jpg

A bunch of Simpson anchors/brackets and pounds of other fasteners it was assembled.

20230820_193501.jpg IMG_20230828_074130_056_2JiaxYU4bz2jLvzrrq1GW2.jpg 20230827_175332.jpg

I ordered some metal roofing, painted the underside, got it installed and threw up some conduit, lights and a fan.

20231002_173934.jpg 20231002_190749.jpg

Now I just need to pickup some gutters/downspouts and get them chopped up and painted and it should be finished.

Sorry for all the pictures :flipoff2:

That’s pretty nice.

Sometimes I look at my random stuff in this thread and then look at some of y'all's well thought out and executed stuff and I’m not sure we’re playing the same game.
No doubt. I have the skills and ideas then get into analysis paralysis trying to decide what I want to do. Ive even hired an architect a time or two to break the stump, and then start "fine tuning" their ideas and then get hemmed up again.

Nice job on the Pergebo

That’s pretty nice.

Sometimes I look at my random stuff in this thread and then look at some of y'all's well thought out and executed stuff and I’m not sure we’re playing the same game.
I really appreciate the compliment.
No doubt. I have the skills and ideas then get into analysis paralysis trying to decide what I want to do. Ive even hired an architect a time or two to break the stump, and then start "fine tuning" their ideas and then get hemmed up again.

Nice job on the Pergebo
Thank you.

How much for a flat rate of the parts. This is perfect for the ram I replaced off my 20t press when I went to air over hydro.
Just cost...
But I have not vetted that design with a bottle jack nor do I have the plate to cut them at the moment.
Add some dimensions of your jack and If I get bored enough over my sickcation I will make you one.

We have a chair height toilet, which is great for me since I'm tall, but not so great for the shorter people in the house. I got tired of bending over to move the plastic "step" my wife got out of the way so I built a sliding step with "push to open" drawer slides.

1000002724.jpg

1000002725.jpg

Same height as the plastic step.

1000002726.jpg

There's enough room under it for a rug as well.

The laminate flooring is getting replaced with tile (my next project) so I just cut the laminate out to mount the unit directly to the concrete with Tapcons and glue.

We have a chair height toilet, which is great for me since I'm tall, but not so great for the shorter people in the house. I got tired of bending over to move the plastic "step" my wife got out of the way so I built a sliding step with "push to open" drawer slides.
What topcoat/finish did you use on this?

I did a step stool for my kids to wash their hands, finished with wipe-on poly. They've beat the ever living shit out of that finish in a year and I need to redo it. I'm looking for better, more durable options.

1000002724.jpg

1000002725.jpg

Same height as the plastic step.

1000002726.jpg

There's enough room under it for a rug as well.

The laminate flooring is getting replaced with tile (my next project) so I just cut the laminate out to mount the unit directly to the concrete with Tapcons and glue.
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Thats badass!

That wasn't directed at me, but I've had good luck sealing oak with boiled linseed oil or tung oil (which is mostly BLO these days). Sometimes I'll thin the first coat or 2, sometimes not (flip a coin :laughing:).

Ever since old-school dolphin killing varnish got scarce, I've used mostly penetrating oil stains and/or polymerizing oil finishes because you can dent the wood (my shit gets used) and it's still waterproof. If nobody's looking, you can clean it with Windex, and you can always scuff & re-oil to renew it.

Full disclosure: I'm not a pro, I just know what I haven't had to worry about or fuck with, and that's a win for me.

That wasn't directed at me, but I've had good luck sealing oak with boiled linseed oil or tung oil (which is mostly BLO these days). Sometimes I'll thin the first coat or 2, sometimes not (flip a coin :laughing:).

Ever since old-school dolphin killing varnish got scarce, I've used mostly penetrating oil stains and/or polymerizing oil finishes because you can dent the wood (my shit gets used) and it's still waterproof. If nobody's looking, you can clean it with Windex, and you can always scuff & re-oil to renew it.

Full disclosure: I'm not a pro, I just know what I haven't had to worry about or fuck with, and that's a win for me.

I did a step stool for my kids to wash their hands, finished with wipe-on poly. They've beat the ever living shit out of that finish in a year and I need to redo it. I'm looking for better, more durable options.
I used a spray on urethane for now. Am considering an epoxy, at least for the top when I pull it out to do the tile.

That's good info, I may try that instead of epoxy.

Top Back Refresh