What's new

Random stuff you made.

Was quoted about $6k for the fencing around the pool.
It's time consuming but I should be under $1200 complete in materials and consumables. They also don't sell the horizontal bars with holes in the material I chose so I have to machine the holes in each before assembly and weld.

Attachments

• 20211107_075300.jpg
    20211107_075300.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
There's a reason nobody makes that....
I'm well aware. But this sure beats an adapter.

Ok. Im guessing to move trailers around the yard with a four wheeler?

14ft trailer behind a friend's 2010s era Outback.

They make a 2" hitch for his car but he saved like $50 5yr ago by buying the 1-1/4 hitch. :shaking:

Probably a mini van.
I'll have you know my minivan has a proper 2" hitch like god intended. :flipoff2:

Have a bunch of clutch springs, but most were not known spring rates. Valve spring testers don't quite have the capacity, and a real spring tester the right size was hundreds of $$. Screw that, amazon electronic 400 lb. capacity scale, some scrap angle for frame, and boom a spring rate and preload test stand.

One of the best things I found with this setup was the inconsistency of the reported spring rates from different mfg's, when they are supposed to be measured the same way. Can be way more consistent now, and no spring is "worthless" because it doesn't have a part number/code color. :smokin:

20211007_204948x.jpg

Have a bunch of clutch springs, but most were not known spring rates. Valve spring testers don't quite have the capacity, and a real spring tester the right size was hundreds of $$. Screw that, amazon electronic 400 lb. capacity scale, some scrap angle for frame, and boom a spring rate and preload test stand.

One of the best things I found with this setup was the inconsistency of the reported spring rates from different mfg's, when they are supposed to be measured the same way. Can be way more consistent now, and no spring is "worthless" because it doesn't have a part number/code color. :smokin:

20211007_204948x.jpg
20210126_115634 (1).jpg

The screen is on the vise mounted near the torch.

Doesnt matter. Once they get used to seeing it out there theyll come right up to it.
The one out behind the house that i’ve been frequenting the last few nights has lights, a bar, solar panel on the roof to keep the batteries topped up, a set of red lights over the bar to mix drinks without destroying your night vision, etc.. with the propane heater it’s got all the comforts of home.

Trailer hitch did just fine hauling this empty

It's an old Hudson trailer made out of 6" channel. Axle snapped off pulling it out of its hole so we tossed on an axle out of the sellers scrap pile. Of course it was set up for a frame that was 4" narrower so we had to move the perches and it was within 3/8 of rubbing on both sides. Could use some cleaning up but is generally in solid shape. Note the fender washers in place of shackles. :laughing:

bb022f3e-1cca-4093-81a0-df8b07c5ddb6.jpg
69b9ab04-e012-43b7-ad51-1f46d637b798.jpg
815cb4de-03e5-4267-b0a4-fe96c2d2cf7d.jpg
c9ddeee0-5887-4573-9bd9-39765c0938a8.jpg

Trailer hitch did just fine hauling this empty

It's an old Hudson trailer made out of 6" channel. Axle snapped off pulling it out of its hole so we tossed on an axle out of the sellers scrap pile. Of course it was set up for a frame that was 4" narrower so we had to move the perches and it was within 3/8 of rubbing on both sides. Could use some cleaning up but is generally in solid shape. Note the fender washers in place of shackles. :laughing:

bb022f3e-1cca-4093-81a0-df8b07c5ddb6.jpg
69b9ab04-e012-43b7-ad51-1f46d637b798.jpg
815cb4de-03e5-4267-b0a4-fe96c2d2cf7d.jpg
c9ddeee0-5887-4573-9bd9-39765c0938a8.jpg
Is that a little nun spatter on the driver’s side fender?

Pump station I recently put together. We were tight for room and needed a way to mount 5 150 hp soft starters and a PLC cabinet to control everything, with future ability to add a mirror system (5 more soft starters).

I migged some 4x6 aluminum tubing to 1/2 inch baseplates and gussets and voila, 500 hp of pumping capacity.

I'm proud of how it turned out. I didn't do 100% of the work, obviously, but generally everything went the way I wanted it to, and I work with some great people.

WIN_20211201_10_14_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_07_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_28_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_36_Pro.jpg

Pump station I recently put together. We were tight for room and needed a way to mount 5 150 hp soft starters and a PLC cabinet to control everything, with future ability to add a mirror system (5 more soft starters).

I migged some 4x6 aluminum tubing to 1/2 inch baseplates and gussets and voila, 500 hp of pumping capacity.

I'm proud of how it turned out. I didn't do 100% of the work, obviously, but generally everything went the way I wanted it to, and I work with some great people.

WIN_20211201_10_14_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_07_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_28_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211201_10_15_36_Pro.jpg
Why aluminum tubing and not steel?

Not knocking it, genuinely curious- figure there has to be a reason.

Nice work regardless

Why aluminum tubing and not steel?

Not knocking it, genuinely curious- figure there has to be a reason.

Nice work regardless
Underground steel gets super gross if it's not galvanized. Paint doesn't last very long. This should look good for a long time.

We had it in stock. It was ordered for another job that never happened. Plus it's easier to handle and sexier and I don't get to weld it very often being an electrician.

Even in a fairly dry room that's presumably mild enough for electronics?
Yeah. When you're down there you are literally in an exhaust pipe. Air is full of nasty stuff.

I don't think the gases created when we blast helps any. The explosives like emulsion (looks just like yogurt) is really corrosive.

Some of our substations are a bit wet. We've had 13.8kv junction boxes made of stainless steel degrade to the point of needing replacement in as little as 3 years.

We hang our cables on a 3/8 messenger cable (galvanized wire rope) and occasionally it will corrode to failure.

This specific location is pretty good as it's usually in fresh air and doesn't see much gasses.

Yeah. When you're down there you are literally in an exhaust pipe. Air is full of nasty stuff.

I don't think the gases created when we blast helps any. The explosives like emulsion (looks just like yogurt) is really corrosive.

Some of our substations are a bit wet. We've had 13.8kv junction boxes made of stainless steel degrade to the point of needing replacement in as little as 3 years.

We hang our cables on a 3/8 messenger cable (galvanized wire rope) and occasionally it will corrode to failure.

This specific location is pretty good as it's usually in fresh air and doesn't see much gasses.
God damn that's worse than marine shit. :lmao:

20211007_204948x.jpg
I made a spring tester out of a harbor freight short ram with a gauge screwed into the fitting. I assembled the whole thing in a bucket of oil to bleed all the air out of it. measure the bore size to find the surface area and it's as accurate as the pressure gauge.

FA4F63F1-3DAF-4799-9A57-F948030D4E4B.jpeg
0CF638AF-FB1D-43BE-82B4-9934D99B15E7.jpeg

Built these x2 to adapt old 8 x 6” Ford tractor rear bolt pattern axle to 8 x 10.8” combine wheel for my father in law’s tractor. He wants more flotation. Not fully welded yet, but you get the idea. The outer flange diameter was too big for the travel of our 3-axis mill and the swing of our lathe so the OD of that flange was hand cut and finished with a grinder, 7” stone then flap wheel. When I get them fully welded/painted/installed I’ll post an update.

It'll never work. You are gonna kill a bus full of field nuns and jackrabbits.
Is this in response to my post?

Ford had the exact thing on this tractor from the factory, made from relatively thin cast steel, to adapt the 8x6" pattern to the more common 8x8" pattern. Been on the tractor for 50 years. Ag tractor BTW, not Truck tractor, if that was your concern. The tractor's total weight is about the weight of a built XJ (1966 Ford 3000)

Is this in response to my post?

Ford had the exact thing on this tractor from the factory, made from relatively thin cast steel, to adapt the 8x6" pattern to the more common 8x8" pattern. Been on the tractor for 50 years. Ag tractor BTW, not Truck tractor, if that was your concern. The tractor's total weight is about the weight of a built XJ (1966 Ford 3000)
Quit being so sensitive. Sheesh. I have plenty of significantly sketchier temporary fixes on my field equipment that just never got a proper fix as the temp one kept working.

Example... old backhoe had wallowed out the lug holes on one wheel. Flange holes were partially stripped. Drilled the flange smooth, deformed a set of washers which I added to a longer set of lug bolts and installed with nuts and thread locker on the back of the flange. Shit fix to get through the critical task at hand. 2 years later the lugs are still tight and no wobbly wobbly of the wheel. So it remains hackk.

I will make a more concerted effort to include a :flipoff2: on all future sarcastic remarks.

Top Back Refresh