What's new

Random stuff you made.

Dungie crab season opens in CA this saturday. I lost a couple snares and was down to 1. So I made a couple more out of chicken wire and weed whacker line.

20211102_160510.jpg

I didnt have any crimps but I found you can make the loops by melting the line together with a bic lighter. Feells strong enough to me
Can you explain to an east coaster what this contraption does?

I'm accustomed to tossing in baited crab pots and retrieving them full of blue crab later if all goes well.

I'm accustomed to tossing in baited crab pots and retrieving them full of blue crab later if all goes well.
Youtube it. They basically lasso crabs with that contraption. Toss in water, wait, haul in - hopefully with a crab ensnared.

you need to watch some Bugs Bunny cartoons, that will catch you up with how it works :grinpimp:

This allows you to catch crab using a fishing rod from the beach/shore/pier/jetty, etc. Unlike a crab pot, you have more freedom to move around and are not bound to only dropping off a pier. You dont need to drag a big heavy pot around or deal with lines and buoys and shit, just a heavier 8 - 9 ft rod, some snares and bait. Stuff it full of chicken, squid, herring or whatever bait and lob that bitch out there. Let it sit for 10 - 20 mins so the crabs crawl up to it and start pecking away at it, getting their legs and claws (hopefully) into the loops.

Sometimes if the conditions are right you can see the rod tip bounce a little from the crabs fighting over it, but usually you dont really have an indication if there is anything there. Once you think it is time to check it, you swing that rod to the fence and 'set the hook' and those loops cinch up tight around the legs and you crank them in. You gotta reel fast to keep tension on the loops and dont stop reeling till they are all the way into your cooler.

Simple, cheap and effective

This is a smaller sized comercially available snare. They can be had a most bait shops for under $10. They dont really wear out, you typically lose them when casting and the line snaps

20211103_162319.jpg

Fuck, I like that. I need to replace my cheap prefabbed chainlink gate and I might copy that....but definitely incorporate a way to adjust without unbolting the pin.

We had a stalk for a jib crane that we decided not to erect and a 36(?)" pipe flange that dad's been trying to find a use for since before I was born. Now we have neither of those things and another big heavy fab table that rings like a gong when you whack it with a hammer.
20211002_165548.jpg
20211002_171456.jpg
20211002_180104.jpg

We had a stalk for a jib crane that we decided not to erect and a 36(?)" pipe flange that dad's been trying to find a use for since before I was born. Now we have neither of those things and another big heavy fab table that rings like a gong when you whack it with a hammer.
20211002_165548.jpg
20211002_171456.jpg
20211002_180104.jpg
That flange is probably some well seasoned cast iron. I’d have had it Blanchard ground on both sides for a “precision” layout table.

I'd mount that table on a nice thick chunk of concrete set deep in the ground and then put a center hole in the table. Make different round dies to drop into the center hole for bending shit. One peg in an outer hole to run your material up against, wrap it around the die and another peg in any of the other holes to act as a stop. Basically a huge ass blacksmith bending jig...

Like this only way bigger...

Was Royce (from GJ) your inspiration for that?

I stole some of his pics because it's too cool not to share.

image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg
image (4).jpg
image.jpg

holy hell! that chair has to weight 250#. I bet it's load rated for a ton though! lol

Bench for my neighbor. He gave me two sawmill slabs like this (3 1/2 inch thick) and I made him the legs for a third slab that he put in his house entrance. Scrap hole saw slugs for the feet.

It's a low bench, 15 inches to the top.

I fucking love hammered bronze paint. Sprays nice, nice pattern, doesn't clog the tip.

PB182913.JPG
PB182914.JPG

Nothing too exciting, but I whipped out a set of non marring jaws from some delrin scrap I had. Neodymium magnet glued in the back. Should work pretty good, left them long for now

IMG_20211122_212106.jpg

IMG_20211122_212147.jpg
honest question, does the glue stick to the Derlin? What glue did you use? Great idea btw :beer:

honest question, does the glue stick to the Derlin? What glue did you use? Great idea btw :beer:
hot glue. not very well, but I also put a strip of tape along the backside so if it picks up metal shavings they aren't stuck to the magnet itself.

The magnets I used had holes for screws, which I planned on using instead of glue. BUT since I had no way to cut the recess easily without a center-tip on the bit (spade bit), there's no meat to screw into at the center of the hole. They won't get much use, I'm hoping the hot glue/tape holds them enough.

Wrap some sort of metal band around the top of the log before you rip the vise out of the end grain.
I was thinking this would be a good idea. Will do when I pop the vise off and refinish it this winter. Probably should have kept a little more meat around the bolt area than I did, but I'd already turned the fattest part of the tree into rounds

Top Back Refresh