What's new

Ran when parked

Yeah I've had to replace a couple on 05ish 5.4 f250s, I'll have to get some measurements, thanks

good info on the Volvo s

As did Volvo on their turbo 4 cylinder cars and their 6 cylinder 960/S80/V90 cars. They might have also had them on their 850/S70/V70/XC70s.
Aaron Z

iirc the volvo ones were like the VW ones, in that they've got 5/8" hoses
which as an aside, the VW ones are already 3/4-16 thread, and therefore fit just about everything without modification

[486 said:
;n174027]

iirc the volvo ones were like the VW ones, in that they've got 5/8" hoses
which as an aside, the VW ones are already 3/4-16 thread, and therefore fit just about everything without modification
Now that I think about it, 5/8 is probably the right size for that. Been a few years since I sold my V90 wagon.

Aaron Z

[486 said:
;n174454]
male-male
most things let you just unscrew the little spud

PJ, you run it with the oil cooler hoses looped yet?

No, I'm away from it for a week, tire, brakes and making it move are next up

Maybe matching up an oil cooler from online specs if I get the time

Maybe matching up an oil cooler from online specs if I get the time

just run it without until you get the rest working

ain't like the oil temp is gonna be a proble... tucson
well fuck you then :flipoff2:

I'd loop the hoses now, then you can see if oil comes out the coolant nipples over the next couple hours of short runs to test the various repairs. Most coolers are totally optional long as you're monitoring oil temp with a hand slapped on the pan every half hour or so.

As did Volvo on their turbo 4 cylinder cars and their 6 cylinder 960/S80/V90 cars. They might have also had them on their 850/S70/V70/XC70s.

Aaron Z

oil coolers are block mounted with o rings on the p2 white blocks. you'd have to make a flange adapter and nobody got time.

If the $35 ford cooler happens to match, I'll run it, otherwise it'll get eliminated after all the other issues are fixed, I'm no super operator, I'll never run this thing at its limit, and, I'm not gonna run this thing if it's 100 out, too old for that shit.

This thing is gonna help me build one house and shop, then spend it's days idling around pushing dead pickup trucks and picking up parts and such.

20201113_192525.jpg

She carne with a "spare" front, I fight have time to pull the hammered tire off the front, so I went after the loose one.

I used the turntable and duck head to find where to hammer, got it fairly straight

Then poured in bead sealer, still had a leak, so more bead sealer:homer:

20201113_192943.jpg

20201114_140101.jpg
update
haven't had much backhoe time lately but got my $120 front tire mounted

The bucket will lift the machine, but drifts quickly with the weight, I'm not surprised, actually happy it had the hydraulic pressure to lift it, I assume I'll need to reseal all of the cylinders at some point

Next up is to bring more fluids and fuel and work it some

Before you assume bad cylinders, make sure to cycle them 4-5 times from fully extended to fully retracted to make sure you don't have air in there.

Aaron Z

Before you assume bad cylinders, make sure to cycle them 4-5 times from fully extended to fully retracted to make sure you don't have air in there.

Aaron Z

Yeah, I'm in no hurry, but good point

My plan is to top everything off and run it for a couple hours then make a plan for fixing leaks and oil/ filter changes

Put a couple hours in today, came loaded for bear, all fluids, didn't need anything, just put another gallon of diesel in her.

put some due in the rears, about 20psi looks right, but I'm not sure what is normal on something like this

The goal today was brakes and drive it. It's wet brakes, dual pedals, dual reservoirs fed by the tranny lube circuit. Let her run while I pulled the bleeders and cleaned them, took a million pumps, but I'm getting fluid, and still air. I figured I'd tighten them form and see if it works itself out.

remounted tm the seat and drove her around, hitting all the gears :smokin::smokin::smokin:

3and 4 are still sticky, but working free

I was asked to crush the Chevy body so i got after it. I knew the loader cylinders were bypassing from when I was changing the front tire, it ran out of down force. Same with the main boom cylinder, it drifts down as I drive, and is weak with the breakout force.

I need to get some seal kits headed this way.

I started oiling pins and tapping on them to make sure I'm not fighting them at cylinder time, everything moved nice and easy, no seized pins

I need to patch together the electrical, get some gauges in it, there's a panel, but the "dash cowl" itself is missing, so I'll need to fab something

it drove really nice, and I put the cylinders thru the motions, i still have a bunch of work ahead of me, but I'm fucking stoked

included a pic by the spitfire for size, little car, but it's a big machine

photo33260.jpg

photo33261.jpg

photo33262.jpg

Love a good success story :smokin:

edit: it’s because of story’s like this that I shop for a ran when parked, bring trailer, needs work back hoe of my own. Still waiting for the right heap fall into my lap

Looks like you really got something for a song! Took a risk and paid off. (With some work) keep us up dated.

Im still looking at heavy equipment. There's an excavator about 2 miles from my house that's been sitting for years. I finally went up to the guy that lives there. He said it runs great, but some of the rollers arnt in great shape. I looked up the model and it weighs 40,000 lbs. He wants $12,000. I have nothing to haul it and the guy doesn't either. I can drive it on a powerlines "right of way" for one mile and then on my dirt road for rest. The problem is the power line path goes in front of a bunch of people's houses. Not sure if they would appreciate that monster driving by. Not sure about the legal aspect. My friend that is an expert in heavy equipment told me not to buy it. He says if one of those rollers breaks when you are halfway home, I will be hating life. He lives out of state and can't help me directly.

My other choice is a much smaller excavator (9,000 lbs.) It's about two hours drive from me. It would be a big dumb load for my car trailer, but I could probably do it. It is much newer and has a thumb and blade. My friend says "buy it if I can get it for $16,000". (He wants $20,000) So that's the plan for next week if I can arrange a meet. We'll see.

edit, my friend said that I shouldn't buy a back hoe because I have a tractor with a loader allready. He said if you only have one piece, get a back hoe, but I will like an excavator much better. (Especially with a thumb) The other thing he schooled me on was there is something called a "manual thumb". It just a piece of steel frame that you can pivot down and pin in place. Then you use the bucket to pinch stuff against it. It's not as good as a hydro thumb, but I can see how it would be handy. My friend said he has seen several that were home made. This sounds like an idea for the OP.

Last edited:
I can drive it on a powerlines "right of way" for one mile and then on my dirt road for rest. The problem is the power line path goes in front of a bunch of people's houses. Not sure if they would appreciate that monster driving by. Not sure about the legal aspec

Drive that bitch on the power line road. Fuck the haters. Odds are the Karens will all think you work for the power line company anyway.

To add to legit factor get some magnet signs with Florida power or whatever on them. Slap one on either side, good to go.

Lucky you. Wet brakes tolerate years of sitting way better than dry brakes.

That's what I'm hoping, I think it has the slightest amount of brakes now, I'll bleed it again next time

Love a good success story :smokin:

edit: it’s because of story’s like this that I shop for a ran when parked, bring trailer, needs work back hoe of my own. Still waiting for the right heap fall into my lap

thanks, it's been a long time coming

Looks like you really got something for a song! Took a risk and paid off. (With some work) keep us up dated.

Im still looking at heavy equipment. There's an excavator about 2 miles from my house that's been sitting for years. I finally went up to the guy that lives there. He said it runs great, but some of the rollers arnt in great shape. I looked up the model and it weighs 40,000 lbs. He wants $12,000. I have nothing to haul it and the guy doesn't either. I can drive it on a powerlines "right of way" for one mile and then on my dirt road for rest. The problem is the power line path goes in front of a bunch of people's houses. Not sure if they would appreciate that monster driving by. Not sure about the legal aspect. My friend that is an expert in heavy equipment told me not to buy it. He says if one of those rollers breaks when you are halfway home, I will be hating life. He lives out of state and can't help me directly.

My other choice is a much smaller excavator (9,000 lbs.) It's about two hours drive from me. It would be a big dumb load for my car trailer, but I could probably do it. It is much newer and has a thumb and blade. My friend says "buy it if I can get it for $16,000". (He wants $20,000) So that's the plan for next week if I can arrange a meet. We'll see.

edit, my friend said that I shouldn't buy a back hoe because I have a tractor with a loader allready. He said if you only have one piece, get a back hoe, but I will like an excavator much better. (Especially with a thumb) The other thing he schooled me on was there is something called a "manual thumb". It just a piece of steel frame that you can pivot down and pin in place. Then you use the bucket to pinch stuff against it. It's not as good as a hydro thumb, but I can see how it would be handy. My friend said he has seen several that were home made. This sounds like an idea for the OP.

I'll certainly get a thumb in the future, after I dig a couple holes, I'll basically be moving everything but dirt:laughing:

unless you have big work to be done on your property, I'd opt for the smaller machine that you can transport, sell more easily, probably hold resale better

My machine is too big for me to drag around to work, though i can road it here and there, and I can bdl it 5 miles on flat ground back roads to my property, I think the smaller machine will do everything you need it to do, and probably do it better

unless you have big work to be done on your property, I'd opt for the smaller machine that you can transport, sell more easily, probably hold resale better

I think you're right for all the reasons mentioned. But you have to admit, who doesn't want a gigantic machine on tracks. Lol.

So.....

I sold my Kubota project tractor last month to focus on the backhoe, I am going to put some of that money into rebuilding all of the cylinders, just do all new seal kits.

Yesterday my friend forwards me a link for free scrap metal, a free tractor. This never plays out, I'm in a border town:laughing:

Turns out it's a govt museum, and i happen to have been related to someone who was possibly this guys boss years ago, so it's mine.

1970-75 Allis Chalmers 160 or "one sixty"
3 cylinder Perkins 40hp diesel

Ford PTO brush hog

812 hours, former Air Force machine

parked 5 years ago for a fuel leak

"ran when parked" :laughing:

Nice score. Going to look at a Case 480F LL tomorrow (same machine as the 480F backhoe but with a Top and Tilt 3 point hitch in place of the backhoe).

Aaron Z

So.....

I sold my Kubota project tractor last month to focus on the backhoe, I am going to put some of that money into rebuilding all of the cylinders, just do all new seal kits.

Yesterday my friend forwards me a link for free scrap metal, a free tractor. This never plays out, I'm in a border town:laughing:

Turns out it's a govt museum, and i happen to have been related to someone who was possibly this guys boss years ago, so it's mine.

1970-75 Allis Chalmers 160 or "one sixty"
3 cylinder Perkins 40hp diesel

Ford PTO brush hog

812 hours, former Air Force machine

parked 5 years ago for a fuel leak

"ran when parked" :laughing:

I grew up on teh fender of an allis 170. We also had d17's, 2 185's and a 210 and 220. Still have a lot of the stuff around the farm. Good score

Nice score. Going to look at a Case 480F LL tomorrow (same machine as the 480F backhoe but with a Top and Tilt 3 point hitch in place of the backhoe).

Aaron Z

Very nice, the construction stuff is 2x the machine of the farmer stuff:smokin:

Very nice, the construction stuff is 2x the machine of the farmer stuff:smokin:
It should be. Going to use it to run a round baler, move hay and whatever else I can find to do with a 9000# 2wd tractor.
Hopefully I can avoid getting it stuck as the next heaviest machine on the farm is about 4000# :rolleyes:.

Aaron Z

Brought the Case home today behind the mighty 2002 F350 on a friend's 14k deckover trailer:
Click image for larger version Name:	480F_OnTrailer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.2 KB ID:	277003
Certainly knew that it was back there, the truck was on the overloads and had about an inch and a half to go before hitting the bump stops but it did well dragging the loader home.

Todo list:
Fix parking brake (needs a new disk as the splines are chewed out of the old one)
Reseal weeping tilt cylinder
Replace cutting edge (has 8-10 inches broken off of both corners)
Add lights (just has 2 incandescent lights on the front, will probbaly add a medium sized light bar on front and back).

Aaron Z

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh