Ran when parked

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
My backhoe thread, for better or worse:laughing:

Yesterday
2big bronco sent me some equipment links, so I searched "loader" and came up with this beauty 100 miles away, listed as an 1982 JD 410, ran 2 yearsb ago and parked with a hydraulic leak Some wiring since vandalised.

2250obo

this as a runner is 9-11k in my area, and they just don't come up

I offered full price and told the guy I was gonna transfer a deposit, he pulled the ad immediately, so far so good.

I jammed down this morning with fresh batteries, engine oil, 10 gal of hydro oil and distilled water.

It looked like the pics.

I triple checked all filler necks for dirt or water contamination, ie, unknown vandalism, all good to go.

I topped off engine and water, put 5 gallons of hydro oil that the seller had in the tranny/hyd system

jumped the starter solenoid and she spun nicely.

checked all fluids again, cut and twisted a jumper wire to the injection pump and she fired right up, worth the asking price.

kept adding hyd oil and cycling until I got hyd functions, which I needed for transport on a landoll

I put 12gal in the system and got hyd functions, slow, but I got em

Brake pedal drops, nothing

I was unable to get the tranny in gear, it has a reverser, hi lo, and a 4 speed box, the 4 speed box feels like a stuck fork. I'm ok with this, as long as it can be winched.

It came with operators and service manuals, I need to verify that this will roll

and I'd also like to pinpoint the trans issue

should have hauled Thursday :smokin:

photo28862.jpg

photo28961.jpg

Hell of a find. Brakes are somewhat optional as I found out on my backhoe. The bucket works as a brake ish. :lmao:

edit: I got a if you can start it you can have it deal. 1981? Case 480C A new battery and I was on my way. Currently only use 1st gear. PO said 2nd was possible but hard.

Last edited:
Hell of a find. Brakes are somewhat optional as I found out on my backhoe. The bucket works as a brake ish. :lmao:

edit: I got a if you can start it you can have it deal. 1981? Case 480C A new battery and I was on my way. Currently only use 1st gear. PO said 2nd was possible but hard.

Yeah, I've been looking for almost a year, I'm still jealous of yours:smokin:

My dad had a 510 of the same vintage back in the day. That backhoe made him a lot of money doin demolition work. In the 80s when emissions stuff started comin around, he made a killing doing gas station jobs in the bay area. The stations all had to replace + upgrade the underground fuel tanks and we did all of them with the 510

DozerDan82

This is almost the same one Dan put back together, except it needed the engine rebuilt. Turns out once the engine was in that the reverser was actually shot, which is why it was parked (and yes, 'ran when parked', but the parking is what did the engine in as it got water in through the exhaust.

He rebuilt the reverser which was really not that big of a project, been mostly hoses & cylinders since then. I'll let him tell the rest :smokin:

I have a 310b that I bought years ago. I paid 5500, it had new rear tires. the hydraulics are bypassing right now, I need to fix it. it is crazy what stuff is bringing right now.

I have an 83 410b. First year of the newer model like Dans. I’m not sure on yours, but the brakes on ours are wet brakes. As in, they are inside the axle assembly. Good deal for sure! I paid $11,000 for mine years ago. Moved a lot of dirt with the old girl over the years.

and I for got, my clutch was sticky and would not completely go to full engagement. some wd40 on the bottom of the clutch pedal fixed that right up.

Equipment is scarce in Arizona, I've been looking in ca,nm, and tx, I think it's a demographic thing, more demand than supply for used equipment, I'm happy to get into this.

rear tires look good, one front is newer, other is flat and off the bead. I found a spare front, on a matching wheel on the property, it's also flat, but I'm thrilled to have a potential spare, new fronts are 150ea

I'll be looking over the manual for brakes and tranny tonight, my main concern is it won't roll tomorrow for the landoll

I'll be looking over the manual for brakes and tranny tonight, my main concern is it won't roll tomorrow for the landoll

With a seized motor and busted reverser box the 410B that Dan got moved pretty easily, we were able to get it on the lowboy with a 8000lb winch and a forklift. Was more annoying to steer it with no power than actually rolling it; if you've got power steering that'll make it a bunch easier.

With a seized motor and busted reverser box the 410B that Dan got moved pretty easily, we were able to get it on the lowboy with a 8000lb winch and a forklift. Was more annoying to steer it with no power than actually rolling it; if you've got power steering that'll make it a bunch easier.

yeah I did verify the steering works in case I need to tow it to the road with a pickup

it's good to know his rolled, thanks

Is using the stinger to load it on the trailer out of the question?

Well, the hydraulics were still slow and weak, I was happy to have them, but can't rely on them to load and unload

There is a bleeder on top of each axle where it mates to the trans case to bleed the axles. Im betting the oil in the brake reservoir was totally gone and ran them dry. Steer it back and forth lock to lock to get oil flowing to the brake valve, then start bleeding.

There is a bleeder on top of each axle where it mates to the trans case to bleed the axles. Im betting the oil in the brake reservoir was totally gone and ran them dry. Steer it back and forth lock to lock to get oil flowing to the brake valve, then start bleeding.

Good call, I'll check that tomorrow

Mine is an 86, I am prob into it for about $8,500-9,000 last I checked - Plus man hours :lmao::lmao:

I think you are starting off better than I did with a similar purchase price ($2,500 + $500 for transport)

If it rolls and you can lower the dipper stick, hire a land-all not a low boy, land-all should have a built in which. I needed a low boy bc I could not lower my machine, so heights were an issue.

I had an old Massey Ferguson backhoe for a long time that didn't have any brakes. When I finally got ready to sell it, I decided to look into it and get them working. On the Massey, they had a separate hydraulic filter for the brake circuit. I put a new filter on it and had great brakes. After using the thing for 5 years with no brakes.:rolleyes:
I don't know if Deere is similar or not, just throwing it out there.

Waiting on the seller to show, truck is due in 20 minutes, I was hoping to have it running and tied up when he got here

wish me luck:homer:

I introduced myself to the driver and handed him his $50 tip and McD's breakfast sandwich, things went pretty smoothly:grinpimp:

she started, ran, hydraulics worked, I drug the spare backhoe buckets to the front, we muscled them in, chained up the outriggers, winched it up while I steered grabbed the spare front tire and took off

I guess that's the upside to hiring a professional...

and since I planned for every contingency, I didn't need any

Top Back Refresh