What's new

RamRunner Refresh

Drum rear? tighten shoes to reduce pedal travel

After I did HB swap the pedal was softer. Nothing wrong, just different.

Got some decent work done last night while the kid slept

cleaned the engine bay wiring up some and rerouted the fuel lines farther from the exhaust to avoid vapor lock/heat issues

eYwieWg.jpg

Then i got cocky

BZ2ImL9.jpg

Got all 6 studs installed only to promptly remove the front 3, the header flange sits roughly 3/8" off the heads when sliding in so there so they had to come out. the flange itself is 3/16" thick so shaving the studs would've been worthless. I was able to double nut and reinstall the front most and middle front collector studs but the back fastener on the front exhaust port on either side had to remain a bolt. Just no clearance to double nut and install stud with the tube.

Good news is the passenger side head hole is blind so wont be any issues, the drivers side was not. But it was one of 3 that wasn't leaking prior so hopefully I can luck out again. :grinpimp:

Got her pulled out yesterday and heat cycled and no more coolant or oil leaks!

Threw the full doors on and will bring it to my shop to put the top on today, were in the process of moving to property so the rig needed to be flying critter tight for awhile as the shop is a phase 2 project.

I think I'm just not used to what assisted brakes feel like in the rig, because this thing STOPS now. with very little pedal input the brakes grab, i started thinking that my pedal set-up may also be the culprit, the pedal is damn near at 90 degrees full out maybe even a little towards the firewall. And I welded on a roughly 6" extension due to my limited mounting options for the bracket.

So maybe the combination of longer leverage, vertical pedal, and assisted brakes are making me feel like its a soft pedal when in reality its just fine? Guess time will tell but for now i think its ready for a trail test.

If you added pedal ratio, the feeling will degrade for sure

I normally hate having the top on this thing but with the grill painted and the black wheels I actually like the look now

W79oeCS.jpg

I dropped the rig off at my buddy's shop up the road for the rear output seal on the atlas, we say it leaking at the slabs on the Rubicon on the last voyage of the old powerplant and i had him order the seal then. I'm moving and I'm out of time to spend in the shop on toys, have to refocus on the move/getting house ready to sell. Can't get busting the wifes ass about packing if im not getting the house in order lol.

I did drive it to my shop 10 or so miles away where the top is stored to put it on. I'm going to preface this by saying i love loud rigs, diesel trucks, etc.

This thing is loud. To the point that if i don't get a set of headsets were not having a conversation on the trail loud without yelling. In between trying to stuff a longer can in there or just getting some rugged radios and making it everyone else's problem :stirthepot:

This thing is nuts, was there a thread of the original build with the tube frame?

Pics of the exhaust and how its tucked on the outside of the frame?

This thing is nuts, was there a thread of the original build with the tube frame?

Pics of the exhaust and how its tucked on the outside of the frame?

No thread same friend whos doing the rear output seal on the Atlas did the orginal tube work, theyre extremely talented. Not much holds up to how I drive things and this rig just keeps taking it and asking for more. I'll get some pictures of the exhaust from the collectors back once I pick it back up.
Looking good :smokin:

Thank You sir!

Long time without an update

We moved from the suburbs out to property so my wrenching time has significantly gone down. Got her out to Sand Mountain last weekend just to get some hours on the engine/tuning which went really well. Like a normal 440 she runs hot. I'm also abusing a 6000-7000lbs rig in the sand at 4500+ RPMs so there's that....

Xs0xv59.jpg

CzGrUOu.jpg

01F20zU.jpg

She went up comp hill and to the bowl no problems, thrashes around in the dunes just fine too. Rear suspension needs some more spring rate and stiffer valving but the front is super predictable and smooth.

Would have been nice to have the paddle shifters wired up so that's on the short list.

I welding in a second muffler because the single chamber was just too race car for crawling/cruising and it has a nice tone to it that wakes up nicely with RPM. I was slightly disappointed when I first started it after adding the second but its growing on me.

Top Back Refresh