What's new

preemptive f250 sas questions/hints please

Btt

photo19843.jpg

photo20084.jpg

photo20083.jpg

for a few miles I drove a RCLB F250 with a F350 spring and axle swap no rev shackle no track bar and that bitch was a handful at any speed over 30mph.

for a few miles I drove a RCLB F250 with a F350 spring and axle swap no rev shackle no track bar and that bitch was a handful at any speed over 30mph.

Front shackle setups really need the panhard bar to be drivable.

All jeeps untill yj where front shacle no panhard bar. But other than cj5/7 6/v8 they couldnt really go fast enough to tell :laughing:

Got the bumper off and shit didnt look right.

Sure enough the d-side frame horn was bent 3/4" in.
Lucking the owner had a porta power....

photo20444.jpg

photo20445.jpg

Tonight.

I did make a mistake reading the instructions though.

They want you to measure x from the OLD REAR HANGER to the new hanger. I put the new hangers on then measured a d rolled the front hanger forwards to make the dimension.

No load shackle angle look about right though. But they are short shackles so angle will gain quickly. I may have to straighten the front hanger before the rest of the holes are drilled out.

photo20445.jpg

photo20601.jpg

photo20602.jpg

Shackle angle looks good to me. I just needed to get it back on its wheels and havent driven it anywhere yet but ive set up my trucks with only slightly more for a wheeling rig.

This truck really meeds a steel low profile bumper

photo20793.jpg

photo20794.jpg

Ok. So 2 issues that didnt get brought up....

The 95 ttb oe brake lines while plenty long enough do not fit the kp brake calipers as is. A little grinding on the side made enough room for the block/head banjo hole to line up.

The drive line just barely didnt fit so i cut about 1" off the splines to allow a bit more compression but the real issues is with the 2-3" of lift the drive line only clears the crossmember about 1/4" at ride hieght.

What are the normal ways to get clearance with the high lifted trucks? Im just gona cut the crossmember out and weld in a half of large pipe.

There is enough stud on the trans mount to slip a 1/4" spacer but the ford cross member doesnt give you much options between angle and exhaust.

20200904_095229.jpg

20200904_095235.jpg

Last edited:
Over all.... Drives flat and great in the turns Ride hieght is flat But fucking hell its stiff and harsh in town.

I did roll the front crossmember down before i did the rest of the mounting holes so i gained a little bit more shackke angle.

photo21992.jpg

photo21993.jpg

photo21994.jpg

A lot of people will cut the xmember and weld in a piece of pipe just like you were thinking of doing.

Over all.... Drives flat and great in the turns Ride hieght is flat But fucking hell its stiff and harsh in town.

Which springs did you use? I know you mentioned "OE gas Superduty springs" but that doesn't mean anything. The same springs were available on gas and diesel trucks depending on option packages (cab configuration, camper package, heavy service front suspension, plow prep, etc.) Here's a good post I stole from Ford Truck Enthusiasts:

I see a lot of people asking about front leaf spring codes and what their actual capacity is so I went through my spring books and matched up the codes with capacities so here you go. I'll list the spring code and then the capacity in pounds next to it and the capacity is per side.

R = 1430
S = 1630
T = 1830
U = 2030
V = 2230
W = 2430
X = 2630

Now in the middle of 00 Ford switched from a berlin eye design to a standard design so some of the springs such as the R code was only used from 99-00 and when you switch out springs you want to be sure to switch out to the 01-04 version because of the standard eye receiving full support from the spring underneath it. Easiest way to tell on the berlin eye is if there's a gap between your 2 leafs and you should always replace this design with the standard eye.

FYI - There is also a 3950 lb capacity spring but this is the X code with an extra tapered leaf installed on it so the 2630 is the heaviest Ford made.

Also, with the negative arch and shackle angle you have now, as the spring compresses, it shortens, which moves the tire into the bump (which is traditionally associated with front shackle setups), and the shackle is actually jacking the truck up and opposing the direction the wheel is trying to travel.

You need to ditch the negative arch springs if you want it ride worth a shit.

I cant tell you which springs other that. I didnt pull them and the truck they came from was long gone before i ever got them. I did notice some pn coding on the lower layer of the spring but dont know if any of that is known info. Its not the arch and shackle. I under stand how that all works. It is buck board heavy spring stiff. I was thinking about cutting the lower layer back 6-8" on bothe sides and see hiw that does but i need to give the truck back to him and see how he feels about it first

I did not know about the negative arch springs on SDs, but it would make sense why yours rides so rough. I have X-codes under a 7.3, and it rides a lot better than stock.

I have some of the p/ns for the SD leafs. Post up what yours say; im the meantime ill try to find my P/N list and we'll see if we can ID them.

Those front spring codes apply to all '99-up 7.3L 4x4 pickups. Excursions are different. 4x2s are a lot different.
Here is the list from the 2003 workshop manual:

Front Springs — F-Series
B — F81A-5310-EA
C — F81A-5310-EA
D — F81A-5310-EA
E — F81A-5310-EA
F — F81A-5310-FA
G — F81A-5310-GA
H — F81A-5310-HA
I — F81A-5310-RA
J — F81A-5310-JA
K — F81A-5310-KA
R — 2C34-5310-AAB, 3,600 lb.
S — 2C34-5310-AAB, 4,000 lb.
T — 2C34-5310-ABB, 4,400 lb.
U — 2C34-5310-ACB, 4,800 lb.
V — 2C34-5310-ADB, 5,200 lb.
W — 2C34-5310-AEA, 5,600 lb.
X — 2C34-5310-AFA, 6,000 lb.
Y — 2C34-5310-VA
Z — 2C34-5310-WA

R thru X are 4x4 leaf front springs. The R and S codes were only on gassers. B thru K are 4x2 front coil springs. (My '99.5 has code "L" front coils, but they are not in that 2003 list.) I don't know about Y and Z.

Stolen from This Thread over on Diesel Stop.

I found the reciept with what i believe is the vin for the truck.

If thats a 03 pn they may not have been original for the truck either.

20200905_195423.jpg

Shows up as a 2004 Excursion. Not sure what Special Serv entails.

Screenshot_2020-09-06 Vin Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums.png

Last edited:
Well, an '03 P/N doesnt mean its not OEM; odds are it was created after the '03 model year, and first appeared in a '04 MY truck. Typically the Excursions got the lower rated springs so they were a more plush ride than the SDs, however being a Special Service, that most likely means ex-police vehicle, which typically means heavier than stock springs. So really i guess they could still be anything. Might be worth stopping by the local Ford dealer just to see if theyll cross-ref the p/n for ya.

Just some wrap up info

Drives great, smooth and no lean in the corners @ highway speed.

The true d60 f350 have a completely different trans crossmember so that was the issue with the drive line clearance

24" extended bilstiens worked at both ends of the truck but was a bit tight on the fron with only 2" lift.

Jambed some 315s on and got the alignment handled and should be delivered tonight.

photo26282.jpg

Top Back Refresh