What's new

Post a picture of where you are right now.

at the i5 drag strip

IMG_0342.jpeg

Ok this was a couple hours ago, but I'm trying to punch out jobs before the rain tomorrow...

Center lift trailer fail lol.

82954.jpeg

Came back through a bit ago and they are giving the owner he heck of a tow bill.
They sent out a heavy wrecker to lift it onto a rollback wrecker...

82979.jpeg

It's a 60s dragster doing a burnout and a wheelie at the same time, how can you not love that picture! The only cars that do that now a days are Chargers driven by Vin Diesel in fast and furious movies. :lmao:
It’s blowing the skirt up on the track guy too.

It’s just an awesome shot of old school drag racing. When men were men and machinery was dangerous

herringbone gears are cool
I've been halfass looking for an old sidney all herringbone lathe for a while
but really I'd settle for any gear head that's convenient enough to drag home
Me too. No luck yet. That stuff just doesn't exist out here. For now I'm just trying to tighten up my ancient cone head Monarch.

IMG_20240218_163238468.jpg

IMG_20240218_163254328.jpg

Edit for adding peekchoors

Last edited:
Ok this was a couple hours ago, but I'm trying to punch out jobs before the rain tomorrow...

Center lift trailer fail lol.

82954.jpeg

Came back through a bit ago and they are giving the owner he heck of a tow bill.
They sent out a heavy wrecker to lift it onto a rollback wrecker...

82979.jpeg
Good. stupid should hurt!

I used to make a ton of side cash (and barter items) keeping the fab shop open on weekends back in the early 90's. I would replace boat trailer tongues and axles on the side of the road, for a price. My best day ever paid $275 cash, a shotgun and a half gallon of moonshine:laughing:

Most commercial fisherman were so in debt to the fish houses, they couldn't afford to eat their their own catch. A shrimper came to me one Saturday morning needing 2 giant U-Joints from a tractor trailer bored out and turned into a winch drum driveshaft. His drum gearing was too tall and the shafts were twisting up or breaking the joints. He told me up front he didn't have any money but he'd make it worth my while:shaking: I had been burned before by believing sob stories so I fixed him up anyway. 3 days later, he dropped off 60 pounds of beautiful shrimp:smokin:

Life was so simple back then!

Me too. No luck yet. That stuff just doesn't exist out here. For now I'm just trying to tighten up my ancient cone head Monarch.
I bought that lathe around 7~8 years ago for $750. I searched for over three years and this one popped up on CL. I made contact immediately and took off work next day to travel 3 hours one way to get it. The seller said he was bombarded by people to buy it so I got lucky in it. At the time lathes were selling for $1,500 range. They are in the $3k range now along with bridgeports. $3k on a Bridgeport is very low now and I paid $1,500 for my veritable speed one around the same time as my lathe.

I bought that lathe around 7~8 years ago for $750. I searched for over three years and this one popped up on CL. I made contact immediately and took off work next day to travel 3 hours one way to get it. The seller said he was bombarded by people to buy it so I got lucky in it. At the time lathes were selling for $1,500 range. They are in the $3k range now along with bridgeports. $3k on a Bridgeport is very low now and I paid $1,500 for my veritable speed one around the same time as my lathe.
Not trying to one up you, but ..

Right before Christmas I found a J head Bridgeport on Craigslist 6 hours away, for $500. The ad was 3 hours old, I called and it had been spoken for despite me offering $1000

3-4 weeks later the guy emails me and asks if my offer was still on the table. Original buyer ghosted him. I called him and told him yes! I'm loading tools and straps and stuff and I'm heading your way as we speak.

12 hour round trip drive plus 3-4 hours to break the machine down and get it loaded. Long friggin day but totally worth it!

IMG_20231209_115609055.jpg

IMG_20231209_115602331.jpg

IMG_20240401_141924122_HDR.jpg

Not trying to one up you, but ..

Right before Christmas I found a J head Bridgeport on Craigslist 6 hours away, for $500. The ad was 3 hours old, I called and it had been spoken for despite me offering $1000

3-4 weeks later the guy emails me and asks if my offer was still on the table. Original buyer ghosted him. I called him and told him yes! I'm loading tools and straps and stuff and I'm heading your way as we speak.

12 hour round trip drive plus 3-4 hours to break the machine down and get it loaded. Long friggin day but totally worth it!

IMG_20231209_115609055.jpg

IMG_20231209_115602331.jpg

IMG_20240401_141924122_HDR.jpg

Nice

In reality I paid $500 more for this one. Even when I bought mine back then, they were pushing $2k plus. Now they’re never under $3,500 unless it’s crap.

This is at the place I bought it from.

IMG_9005.jpeg

Got to Memphis last night and left around noon today. Stopped at the Basspro shop for a few Tall shirts. It’s hard finding places that sell Tall stuff.

IMG_4272.jpeg
IMG_4284.jpeg
IMG_4331.jpeg

Top Back Refresh