What's new

Pistol brace ruling - ATF at it again

Registering lowers means they have to be engraved with your info. and legally stored according to ATF and their definition of RPs having access.

The trap the ATF set was years ago with their "letter" saying pistol braces aren't stocks
You haven’t read anything about the requirements under the pistol brace amnesty’s rule and it shows.

Nope to what?

So basically all everyone is doing is just putting their lowers into an ATF database, is that what it boils down to?

Ftf transferred lowers, FFL transfered lowers, 80% built lowers now are going to be on-file and tracked by ATF.

Does the lower have to be form 4 for transfer or removed from the registry prior to sale to another person?

Pictures are not required. You can give them pictures of the serial number and manufacturers engraving, this is even optional. If you're concerned disassemble it, store the brace at another location from the lower receiver. Reassemble after you receive the stamp.
It wasn't the prospect of pictures that really caused me to reconsider. It is the backlog. The rifle is already configured non-NFA non-pistol, non-brace, so no worries. There, however, is concern about a background check taking more than 88 days. From what I understand, if the background check takes longer than that one could become a prohibited person on NICS by default. True???

(if we assume the lower end of 3 million people seeking this so-called amnesty, that is one background check per second for 35 days solid. Color me skeptical as to .gov efficiency.)

I think my shortest form 1 was just under a month. It was for a sbs.

It wasn't the prospect of pictures that really caused me to reconsider. It is the backlog. The rifle is already configured non-NFA non-pistol, non-brace, so no worries. There, however, is concern about a background check taking more than 88 days. From what I understand, if the background check takes longer than that one could become a prohibited person on NICS by default. True???

(if we assume the lower end of 3 million people seeking this so-called amnesty, that is one background check per second for 35 days solid. Color me skeptical as to .gov efficiency.)
This is a concern to me also. Don't know if you would have to refile or what? Just trying to follow the rules set forth. And I also feel it's bullshit. But I use mine for predator calling in tight areas with a can. The short length comes in handy. There's a good chance I will be stopped at some point by game & fish or the forest service.

Im sure everyone here has watched the video where the lawyer states if the application goes beyond 88 days the BATFE baddies are sent out to enforce the action of YOU having a unregistered NFA Weapon as you just gave them all the evidence they needed via the pics you sent in and description.

Which is a felony boys and girls.

If you havent seen the video ill find it and re post it.

... legally stored according to ATF and their definition of RPs having access.
Please show me where this is written, preferably with crayon cause i r dumb.

No storage requirements on NFA items :shaking:

Please show me where this is written, preferably with crayon cause i r dumb.

No storage requirements on NFA items :shaking:

in the context of who can have access to them, there is. Responsible Persons (RPs) listed on the trust or the owner of the individual Form 4 are the only ones supposed to be able to have access.

-live by yourself in a house/apartment, it doesnt matter where you store them. they are in your home and you are the sole occupant regardless if its trust or individual.

-live in a house with your wife and adult son, and the Form 4s are you as an individual, then you are supposed to, by the regulations, be the only one who has access them. that means they are to be in a safe or some other location where only you have access. if its a trust in this situation, and you have the wife and adult son as RPs, then it doesnt matter. leave them laying under the bed, in the corner of a closet, etc.

this isnt anything new. whether people abide by it or not is another story. This was always the reason why trusts were so appealing (aside from the CLEO signoff issues) as you could list your family on there and you avoided having to worry about any of this BS. It was also back before the RP forms were handed to us by the ATF.

-live in a house with your wife and adult son, and the Form 4s are you as an individual, then you are supposed to, by the regulations, be the only one who has access them. that means they are to be in a safe or some other location where only you have access.
Once again, show me where this is written, not folklore wivestales of "AFT gonna 'choot your dog"

i spent way more time than i should have trying to run through the USC and CFR looking for those sections. i dont have the time to do the deep dive research. i am sure there could be some lawyers who are extremely versed in it that can point you in the right direction.

try and search for "illegal transfer" and that may lead to where it is. giving people who are not listed on the trust/individual Form 4 is supposed to be about the appearance of "illegal transfer". similar to how you cant let your buddy take your suppressor hunting for the weekend like you could with a normal Title 1 firearm (everything else being equal and your buddy isnt a prohibited person, etc).

i spent way more time than i should have trying to run through the USC and CFR looking for those sections.
Because it doesn't exist. In your home, regardless of whos there is still in YOUR home. If you leave it at a friends home, it needs to be inaccessible by them, but this BS of it needing to be locked away in your house is BS.

Because it doesn't exist. In your home, regardless of whos there is still in YOUR home. If you leave it at a friends home, it needs to be inaccessible by them, but this BS of it needing to be locked away in your house is BS.
Exactly. I’ve had a half dozen NFA items laying on the floor next to my bed for several years now. No one has kicked in my door at 3AM and killed my dog yet.

No one has kicked in my door at 3AM and killed my dog yet.
Who said they would?

99% of ATF shit is stuff no one is going to come kick your door in for unless you have given them a reason to be on their radar.

If they are looking at what you have at home, they got you on a bunch of other shit already.

If you want to play that game, why are any of you guys even worried about unregistered SBRs, braces, etc anyway? I mean, ATF hasn't kicked down your door yet so why comply with any regs/laws at all?

Who said they would?

99% of ATF shit is stuff no one is going to come kick your door in for unless you have given them a reason to be on their radar.

If they are looking at what you have at home, they got you on a bunch of other shit already.

If you want to play that game, why are any of you guys even worried about unregistered SBRs, braces, etc anyway? I mean, ATF hasn't kicked down your door yet so why comply with any regs/laws at all?

Because braces are fucking gay.

I submitted three applications last night. It took me about an hour total. In that hour it appears there were 234 other applicants. Probably not all braces but I'll assume most were. Yeah, atf is going to be overwhelmed.

I submitted three applications last night. It took me about an hour total. In that hour it appears there were 234 other applicants. Probably not all braces but I'll assume most were. Yeah, atf is going to be overwhelmed.

You are going by control numbers? If so that's supposed to be everything: form 1, form 4 and form 3.

Before this its been several thousand control numbers a day.

You are going by control numbers? If so that's supposed to be everything: form 1, form 4 and form 3.

Before this its been several thousand control numbers a day.
Application #'s

why the f are people complying with this bullshit?

Guez less people turned in bumpstops then what seems to have been in this bullshit.
I guess for me personally, if I'm going to federal fuck me in the ass prison. It won't be over some gay ass brace. I don't have the lifespan for that kind of prison time. It would be an all-in situation for me. And I sure don't want to drop the amount of coin required for attorney to keep me out.

Exactly. I’ve had a half dozen NFA items laying on the floor next to my bed for several years now. No one has kicked in my door at 3AM and killed my dog yet.

Your bedroom sounds filthy. Or you sleep in a safe

Top Back Refresh