What's new

Pistol brace ruling - ATF at it again

A buffer tube becomes a stock when you shoulder it. Same rule applied to pistol buffer tubes, except a rifle buffer tube can accept a stock which was always seen as a bad idea because law enforcement can say ‘it’s capable of accepting a stock so NFA and u registered. Go to jail.’
how many rifle buffer tubes do you see on pistols?
I've never even seen a pic of one, plenty of carbine tubes though

kf4zht I would expect any ‘entrapment’ argument to be thrown out because ‘we gave you 120 days to register it for free in accordance with the law.’

A buffer tube becomes a stock when you shoulder it. Same rule applied to pistol buffer tubes, except a rifle buffer tube can accept a stock which was always seen as a bad idea because law enforcement can say ‘it’s capable of accepting a stock so NFA and u registered. Go to jail.’

It does not become a stock. It's a part of the gun vital to it's basic function.

A brace and a stock are not.

Now, glue an AR buffer tube to an AK pistol and it's now a stock. Why? Because it's not part of the function of the gun.

You guys are arguing semantics under the old rules.
There is no doubt that braces are in common use. 3 million is the absolute low end estimate I have seen.
The real number is somewhere between 10 and 40 million. If that doesn't constitute common use, nothing does.

The other consideration is the text history and tradition going back to the founding.
Considering they couldn't even make the bump stock ban stick the ATF is not going to win this one.

Considering they couldn't even make the bump stock ban stick the ATF is not going to win this one.
Ill say it again, the bump stock ban and this ruling are not the same. Pistol braces are not being regulated here, SBRs are. It may seem similar but its a different tactic entirely.

Ill say it again, the bump stock ban and this ruling are not the same. Pistol braces are not being regulated here, SBRs are. It may seem similar but its a different tactic entirely.
However by saying that everyting with a brace is now an SBR it pushes them further into "Common Use", which they can't have regulations or a tax on

However by saying that everyting with a brace is now an SBR it pushes them further into "Common Use", which they can't have regulations or a tax on
I agree, I think long term this could work in our favor and get SBRs removed from the NFA.

'Common use'? What about the gazillion objects that ATF claims turn firearms into machine guns? Does that make everything common use?

I guess for me personally, if I'm going to federal fuck me in the ass prison. It won't be over some gay ass brace. I don't have the lifespan for that kind of prison time. It would be an all-in situation for me. And I sure don't want to drop the amount of coin required for attorney to keep me out.
Yet your sending in a form with your signature that you already have an "SBR" in your possession without filing for the appropriate stamp and getting prior approval? And your saving yourself from prison exactly how?

Yet your sending in a form with your signature that you already have an "SBR" in your possession without filing for the appropriate stamp and getting prior approval? And your saving yourself from prison exactly how?
If that is a concern for you, disassemble it and keep the brace in a different location until after approval.

If that is a concern for you, disassemble it and keep the brace in a different location until after approval.
The end result should all be the same, right? Braces will be trashed once form 1s go through since I've always been told braces are poor stocks anyway?

Serious question: where does it say you don't have to engrave after filing the Form 1 for a braced pistol?

Reddit chatter is someone got their brace/amnesty form 1 "Conditionally approved" and didn't have a stamp on the approval (Likely due to no tax paid?)

Reddit chatter is someone got their brace/amnesty form 1 "Conditionally approved" and didn't have a stamp on the approval (Likely due to no tax paid?)
Well, that's fine. It would mean you paid no tax but we're legal since the government waived it.

Same question about engraving

The end result should all be the same, right? Braces will be trashed once form 1s go through since I've always been told braces are poor stocks anyway?

Serious question: where does it say you don't have to engrave after filing the Form 1 for a braced pistol?
READ THE FUCKING FAQ THE ATF PUBLISHED.

Specifically question 27.
LINK TO THE ATF FAQ ABOUT PISTOL BRACE AMNESTY

F463D205-3C73-4B13-B0DC-8FBB8D4B3942.png

No markings but has to be in a trust prior to rule. Interesting
Yeah, but people had almost a month if they wanted to go the trust route to get the paper notarized.

I'm wondering if they start asking people to prove ownership. Nothing to say someone couldn't buy a new gun on the 115/120 days and register it

Is that the same FAQ that erroneously told people that you couldn't let someone shoot your suppressor even if you were right there? Just curious.
No, same publisher but different FAQ

They rolled that shit back quick. I wonder what intern had a really awkward meeting after that write up went live

Yes, I'll sell 3 right now. Want one?
Never seen where it's required.

I stopped at my local gun dealer and saw a couple AR pistols on the rack less braces. I inquired about how that’s all going. The dealer said that even the buffer tube had to be swapped out to a smooth body one that won’t except a brace.

I stopped at my local gun dealer and saw a couple AR pistols on the rack less braces. I inquired about how that’s all going. The dealer said that even the buffer tube had to be swapped out to a smooth body one that won’t except a brace.
But there are multiple models of brace that work on a bare tube, so that doesn't even make sense. Stupid ATF

It does go back to the OG ar pistol days when they said it had to be a carbine tube with no lock in points for an adjustable stock. Some guys ran smooth, some milled out the slot on a normal tube

It's all dumb, on an ar or many firearms your only 30 minutes and some hand tools away from becoming an SBR. And all this is left over from congress forgetting to change language when they changed their mind

LGS has braces in stock on the wall, I asked about them, was told there's nothing illegal about owning a brace, and advised people to wait it out a little and see where the lawsuit goes before making rash decisions. (OMG...LOGIC???)

Saw a company is selling something like "FUCK 4TF" kit, which is a stock, a 16" barrel, proper gas tube, and 15" HG, for like $120. Nervous? Swap your barrel out and move on. Since it started life as a pistol, it can always go back to being a pistol

It's all dumb, on an ar or many firearms your only 30 minutes and some hand tools away from becoming an SBR.
or some string or a folded coat hanger away from an MG
or a pillow or cat away from a suppressor

every AR pistol has always been constructive intent, it's only two push pins...

Yes, I'll sell 3 right now. Want one?
Never seen where it's required.

engraving has always been required for anything Form 1. Always. and we've hashed this out several times before. i guess thats why ATF made an exception this time as they apparently are not actually giving stamps, just permission slips.

engraving has always been required for anything Form 1. Always. and we've hashed this out several times before. i guess thats why ATF made an exception this time as they apparently are not actually giving stamps, just permission slips.
If you read the financial impact doc (I skimmed it) they had to break down the average cost to the peons who have to deal with this. Things like fingerprinting costs, cost to drive for the fingerprints, cost of passport photos, cost of internet usage, etc. I'm guessing that the cost of engraving (typ $35-50 and for many requires maling the firearm) put them over some type of threshold that was going to be harder to justify or require additional approval so they dropped it. And honestly, until it is sold the engraving is useless. Its no proof of a stamp, it does not create a new SN (excluding PMFs) and it won't aid in an investigation - once you search the SN you see it is or isn't a stamped SBR

Yeah, I knew that up until now it was required on form 1's. I did a bunch of reading on the brace issue. Just because I was feeling really ignorant on the subject. Figure I'll just register mine and put a stock on them. Which I'd rather have any way and sell the braces.

Yeah, I knew that up until now it was required on form 1's. I did a bunch of reading on the brace issue. Just because I was feeling really ignorant on the subject. Figure I'll just register mine and put a stock on them. Which I'd rather have any way and sell the braces.
bend me over harder, daddy?

Top Back Refresh