What's new

Pistol brace ruling - ATF at it again

Pony_Driver

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Rumor has it that the ATF has been making the rounds through at least the mid-West, probably all over, that the new brace rulings will be coming and once they hit you have 6 months to register them. Not sure what is supposed to happen after that, but it cannot be good. Do braces even have serial numbers? Can I register a 2x4 as a brace? If so I'm going to order a shit ton of 2x4s, have some buddies over to make an assembly line at the chop saw and have a "build party". After registering them we might have a bonfire.

Similar, but not quite the same discussion here ATF changes decision on AR pistol braces

The internet says if you register it with a pistol brace it is an AOW and gets me a free $200 tax stamped lower.

If you're on a home built, unserialized receiver what are you worried about? The ATF doesn't know that gun exists, I see no reason to bring it to their attention.
I'm not and I have exactly 0 braces, just asking the question. I almost picked on up last year for $40 or whatever the bottom line, injection molded plastic ones were going for, but decided against it as I don't shoot much, don't have a desire for a pistol AR and really didn't want to get wrapped up in the kind of bureaucratic BS this thread is about.

Once it is registered as either an sbr or aow, it will be much more difficult to sell, people don't want to pay an extra 200 and have to wait a year to get their impulse purchase. The market for used suppressors is pretty tough.
You also can't take them across state lines without informing the atf.
Either way they have created a complete cluster and it's g oing to bee litigated for years.

I've said this before: If only 1% chose to register, it will take A LOT LONGER than a year to get a stamp for ANYTHING. I got a feeling the ATF orchestrated it this way from the get-go. Effectively shuts the registry down...

Even if it is a home built receiver?
This is what the internet says, and everyone knows how accurate the internet is. Too bad SSOOOOOOOO many people have discussed ‘the ATF is going to be handing out $200 tax stamps and streamlining the process’ for it to actually work. It would be great to take all lowers, attach a brace, send some photos, and have every single lower as a SBR capable lower to some people.

I don't understand asking, nigh begging those in charge to allow an end user to use something that is inconsequential to the operation of the firearms at the end of the day.

I don't own any registered pistols so I'm not worried about this bullshit deal. :flipoff2:

Once it is registered as either an sbr or aow, it will be much more difficult to sell, people don't want to pay an extra 200 and have to wait a year to get their impulse purchase. The market for used suppressors is pretty tough.
You also can't take them across state lines without informing the atf.
Either way they have created a complete cluster and it's g oing to bee litigated for years.
If its an AOW is $5, but still the same wait.

Whatever happens don't hurry. Like you said its going to take years for the lawsuits to end. They will try for the same tactics as bump stocks since that worked - but those are legal now and they strongarmed everyone into turning them in.

My friend who runs a gunshop still sees them come in from time to time with owners who have no clue.
Even as an SOT he can't do anything with them.
Has to tell the person to go.

LOL.... would be curious to see how many did
The data is out there, but wonky to find - ATF FOIA re: bumpstock surrender numbers

582 were turned in during the amnesty period. There were a claimed 1k turned in before the ban, and the manufacturer surrerended 60k of them. They claim the between 280k-500k (How TF do they not know how many were made, its only 1-2 factories) were total.

Honestly the number in circulation seems high to me. I only know maybe 2 people with them out of a lot of gun owners.

The data is out there, but wonky to find - ATF FOIA re: bumpstock surrender numbers

582 were turned in during the amnesty period. There were a claimed 1k turned in before the ban, and the manufacturer surrerended 60k of them. They claim the between 280k-500k (How TF do they not know how many were made, its only 1-2 factories) were total.

Honestly the number in circulation seems high to me. I only know maybe 2 people with them out of a lot of gun owners.
Same on knowing people with them. I know of one buddy who had them. Not sure if he still does. It was never really something I gravitated towards, but the few times I shot one it was a "meh" experience.

If its an AOW is $5, but still the same wait.

Whatever happens don't hurry. Like you said its going to take years for the lawsuits to end. They will try for the same tactics as bump stocks since that worked - but those are legal now and they strongarmed everyone into turning them in.
This is probably the most accurate ending. States ban them individually as soon as the Fedeeral government says something about them being used in a mass shooting. Just like Nevada banning bump stocks when they weren’t used in the October 1 organized shooting.

Same on knowing people with them. I know of one buddy who had them. Not sure if he still does. It was never really something I gravitated towards, but the few times I shot one it was a "meh" experience.
They took too much practice and effing around to be reliable. Similar but worse than the WOT/Rare breed where you need just the right finger pressure.

Aside from the safety headaches of binaries they are the most reliable method of incresing ROF that would work under pressure without requring a dumb amount of user practice. Or a crank gatling. Or Jerry Miculek on your side

They took too much practice and effing around to be reliable. Similar but worse than the WOT/Rare breed where you need just the right finger pressure.

Aside from the safety headaches of binaries they are the most reliable method of incresing ROF that would work under pressure without requring a dumb amount of user practice. Or a crank gatling. Or Jerry Miculek on your side
Yeah, the RBs are by far my favorite ROF increase device.... if only it had a nice semi mode as well.... rather than all or none.

They will try for the same tactics as bump stocks since that worked - but those are legal now and they strongarmed everyone into turning them in.
Back up, are bump stocks legal now? When did that change?

I don’t want a bump stock, but I always thought that was illegal how they banned them.

I don’t want a bump stock, but I always thought that was illegal how they banned them.
Well they are, and they aren't. There are several court cases going both directions. The ATF admitted they don't have the legal authority to issue the ban, but are still procecuting people over it. The main case got rejected by the supreme court.

Its going to be a grey area for a long time. Fuck trump and obama and biden and all the presidents who think they can bypass the legal way to pass laws.

Essentially, dont bring it to the range.

Well they are, and they aren't. There are several court cases going both directions. The ATF admitted they don't have the legal authority to issue the ban, but are still procecuting people over it. The main case got rejected by the supreme court.

Its going to be a grey area for a long time. Fuck trump and obama and biden and all the presidents who think they can bypass the legal way to pass laws.
Fuck reagan too

That's never been illegal since it's required for the gun to function.

Braces didn't invent the AR pistol. They just allowed people to shoot their pistol with a stock
Remember the old days when people were asking if they could put cane tips on their buffer tubes? Or if you had to machine off the carbine slots or that would get you in trouble. Ah the good awkward old days

Remember the old days when people were asking if they could put cane tips on their buffer tubes? Or if you had to machine off the carbine slots or that would get you in trouble. Ah the good awkward old days

The CAA saddle FTW

Top Back Refresh