What's new

Photo Forensics?

Eric642

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Vancouver Island, BC
Does anyone on here know anything about finding metadata from photos? I have a niece that has gone on a trip to Turkey, etc with a new "friend". Her phone was stolen on the first day there. The only photo her mom received for the first month was ONE of her at a bar in Istanbul on the first day. Then nothing but messages through her "frends" phone. Her parents have stuffed their heads into the sand saying she probably just wants her space and is just having fun but the mom and her are very close and my niece promised to send lots of photos to us.

My wife and I are very concerned for her well-being but It is difficult because they had no safe plan AT ALL.

Anyway, the sister-in-law shared a single photo online that her daughter just sent of scenery (no people) in Albania. I was trying to figure out how to get any hidden data from the photo. Not even sure if it's possible since it is off of facebook? I used a program called ExifTool and got this:

Profile Date Time : 2018:03:20 09:14:29
Profile File Signature : acsp
Primary Platform : Microsoft Corporation
CMM Flags : Not Embedded, Independent
Device Manufacturer : Unknown (saws)
Device Model : ctrl
Device Attributes : Reflective, Glossy, Positive, Color
Rendering Intent : Perceptual
Connection Space Illuminant : 0.9642 1 0.82491
Profile Creator : Unknown (hand)
Profile ID : ******** (EDIT By ME )
Profile Description : uRGB
Profile Copyright : CC0
Media White Point : 0.9505 1 1.089
Red Matrix Column : 0.43604 0.22244 0.0139
Green Matrix Column : 0.3851 0.71693 0.09708
Blue Matrix Column : 0.14307 0.06062 0.71393
Red Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 96 bytes, use -b option to extract)
Green Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 96 bytes, use -b option to extract)
Blue Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 96 bytes, use -b option to extract)
Image Width : 720
Image Height : 960
Encoding Process : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample : 8
Color Components : 3
Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling : YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)
Image Size : 720x960
Megapixels : 0.691

Does this mean the photo was taken in 2018?

I also tried a reverse image search through Google and could not find the exact photo but others of the same buildings in Thana Albania.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited:
Why does everyone complicate simple shit?

If she is sending messages to her mom via the friends phone, simply have the mom ask her to use her friends phone to make a phone call and speak to her.

Idk , however sceep is pretty damned Good at figuring out where a pic is taken on minimal information... just sayn... prolly a thread hijack oh well.. hoping for the best on lost contact with friend

Why does everyone complicate simple shit?

If she is sending messages to her mom via the friends phone, simply have the mom ask her to use her friends phone to make a phone call and speak to her.

Excuse upon excuse as to why she can't talk. Then Mom and Dan are in denial that anything could be wrong. So there really isn't anything I can do but hopefully, convince the parent's something is fishy. How you can stick your head in the sand like this I do not understand.

None of the data you posted above is conclusive to anything.
You may be right and she's been abducted or maybe you're freaking out.

Also, WTF is she doing in Albania, nowhere near close to Turkey.

None of the data you posted above is conclusive to anything.
You may be right and she's been abducted or maybe you're freaking out.

Ya possibly freaking out and she is just being a b*tch and she is going to hear it when she gets back OR ....I have to figure out how to hire A-team.

Albania is very near to turkey, and was under ottoman (Turkish) rule for quite a long time. It’s like visiting Kansas from Kentucky, really not a grand journey of any sort.

You need a different visa, cross 2 countries to get there and again, WTF are you doing in Albania if you're visiting Turkey.

I'd tend to not be too concerned if the parents aren't too concerned, unless the parents are the types to severely underestimate risks.

Father should know better but they have recently split up so he is trying to stay out of it I think. Just pretending everything is fine. The mother is the type for sure to severely underestimate the risks. We tried to get her to set up some safety nets before the daughter left and she would have non of it. Wouldn't even have some code words that could be used in texts. I'm just here worrying about her with no way of contact and the mother will not attempt to ascertain if it is actually my niece messaging. I am hoping I'm just stressing over nothing.

Excuse upon excuse as to why she can't talk. Then Mom and Dan are in denial that anything could be wrong. So there really isn't anything I can do but hopefully, convince the parent's something is fishy. How you can stick your head in the sand like this I do not understand.
This is very suspicious.
There is no excuse as to why she can not have a live phone call with her mother for just 5 minutes to make sure everything is ok.

How old is this person?

If it was my kid I’d be freaking out. You lost your phone? I’d be overnighting one. Make a phone call to me asap just to hear her voice.
Ya my daughter would be getting a phone again ASAP. Neice is 22.

I don't really know how to use Facebook but the "Profile Date Time : 2018:03:20 09:14:29" is later than some of the stuff my sister-in-law has posted on facebook looks like she started a profile a least in 2016. Her facebook is where I copied the photo from.

if the geotagging was turned off in the phone it will not embed GPS data.
I believe faceballs also strips geolocation data from photos to stop stalkers.

Thanks. Gave it a try but no go. I know the location of the photo I found a couple of photos online in the same place on trip advisor. Was wondering about the date. The photo I have seems to match the newer online photos that I found. ie. Larger trees and changes to a building in the photo so guess that's a good sign.

Thanks. Gave it a try but no go. I know the location of the photo I found a couple of photos online in the same place on trip advisor. Was wondering about the date. The photo I have seems to match the newer online photos that I found. ie. Larger trees and changes to a building in the photo so guess that's a good sign.
it's hard to say what data faceballs changes when you upload to their service.

I see youre in BC, is she Canadian or American? If shes American call the DSS office in Seattle (206) 393-0740. Tell them your concerns and what has happened and see if there is anything they can help you with. How long has she been missing?

Not to be Debbie Downer but the "stolen" phone, lack of communication, refusing to talk in person is a very bad sign. That part of the world is not the safest place for pretty little white girls to travel to with new "friends".

Do you have any info on the "friend" name, DOB, anything?

Mom is definitely not thinking clearly…….
Or dgaf!!!!!!!
This makes no sense to anyone that would care about this girl……
I hope she’s ok, and thanks you for looking out for her one day OP!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. She is Canadian. It's just a crappy situation. There doesn't seem to be much I can do with the parents stuffing their heads in the sand. The wife and I are just being "crazy". Then if my sister-in-law starts pushing whoever is messaging they could just say screw you I'm mad and not talking to you anymore. Then if you go to the authorities she is just a 23-year-old adult that doesn't want to speak with her family.

Yes, this new guy "friend" was just someone she met while waitressing at a pub. I don't have any info on him and I'm not sure the parents even do. My wife and I tried to convey how dangerous this trip was but fell on deaf ears all around.

There has been no proof of life for a month.

This is a shitty situation

There are competitions for working out locations just from pics

Check out geo guessing, and see if you can find one of them who will help you with this

I’d be hitting this option right now if it were me in this situation.
You’re the uncle, you should

Is there any reason you can make up to have them click on a link?
Everyone has a different life and I have no idea about what's normal for her.
If her mom said "hey, do you like this dress?" and texted her a link to an online store showing a dress for sale, would that be normal for her?

You can fudge a link and have a tag on it that will tell you the location of the IP service that clicked on that link.
So if I put up a link right now in this thread, and every one of you that clicked on it, I would be able to see where your location is based on the provider that is you hooking you up with the internet.

But, once again, the most simple path should be taking place instead of all this James Bond shit.

A mom wants to talk to daughter, just for 5 minutes. That's the most reasonable thing in the world and there is no excuse for it not to happen.
I hope she's ok, but at this point I am worried about her. I don't even know her, but my stomach is saying we need to have her voice, live, with her mother as soon as possible.

If the actor on this phone keeps up this act, perhaps the mother can ask "where are you" and then call a local authority to go there and do a well check? No idea how that works in other countries.

I'm sorry to you, and her family. I hope it's a best case situation where she's just partying and being crazy and not the bad case where foul play is going on. Prayers out, for her. And you. You're a good man with a decent head compared to the others you're dealing with.

edit: In case I talk with one of my special friends, what is the last known location of her, what city was she in and what city is being claimed that she is currently in?

Thanks for the replies. She is Canadian. It's just a crappy situation. There doesn't seem to be much I can do with the parents stuffing their heads in the sand. The wife and I are just being "crazy". Then if my sister-in-law starts pushing whoever is messaging they could just say screw you I'm mad and not talking to you anymore. Then if you go to the authorities she is just a 23-year-old adult that doesn't want to speak with her family.

Yes, this new guy "friend" was just someone she met while waitressing at a pub. I don't have any info on him and I'm not sure the parents even do. My wife and I tried to convey how dangerous this trip was but fell on deaf ears all around.

There has been no proof of life for a month.
You need to go to the Canadian version of the State Dept. If youdont know what that is go to whatever agency in Vancouver handles visas and start asking.

On the other side of things millions of kids in thier 20s travel around the world by themselves. On a trip through mexico and Central america it was crazy to me the number of hot single girls from all over Europe just backpacking around. Its very possible she is enjoying her freedom for the first time while attempting to do the bare minimum to let her mom know she is safe.

On the other side of things millions of kids in thier 20s travel around the world by themselves. On a trip through mexico and Central america it was crazy to me the number of hot single girls from all over Europe just backpacking around. Its very possible she is enjoying her freedom for the first time while attempting to do the bare minimum to let her mom know she is safe.
this

what's the relationship between the mom and daughter like exactly? is the mom overbearing and annoying which pushes the daughter away? maybe she just wants to travel around and be free and not have to check in all the time

I for one do not want to be bothered while i'm traveling especially not texts from my mom saying "let me know you're safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

maybe you could text the niece something normal "hey hows your trip going? your mom said you were in europe!!"

hopefully she's just having a blast being out on her own

That's what everyone is hoping BUT this is not normal behavior for her. She has a very good relationship with her parents.

Top Back Refresh