What's new

Patey's Scrappy

I wandered about the chute too but if he did he was smart not to use it. I think its a last option kind of thing.

I think he exagerates the maintanance requirements a bit. He said they can go almost 10000 with out any issues, but they require a "hot section inspection" every 1000 or 2000 hours. Its basically an overhaul of that section. Thats how they get away with the long TBOs is an extensive inspection of the most likely to wear parts.

Crazy. He did great getting it back to the ground safely.

He only had 5 hours on that certified used engine. Of course I was curious to see what a used one costs and the only one I found with a price was 1,550,000 for the engine with 350 hours on it. Holy crap that is a expensive hobby:lmao:

I listen to the audio again on this, five hours for him on the engine, but he mentioned it had a few hundred hours left before overhaul. TBO on the -42 is 3600 hours. So it probably has 34 to 3500 on it since last overhaul. I’ll make the assumption it has at least one overhaul on it already. I’m guessing his acquisition cost on that engine was probably much lower than that.

last week we had to change a CF6 due to the borescope finding a failing blade. Not really that unusual.

I listen to the audio again on this, five hours for him on the engine, but he mentioned it had a few hundred hours left before overhaul. TBO on the -42 is 3600 hours. So it probably has 34 to 3500 on it since last overhaul. I’ll make the assumption it has at least one overhaul on it already. I’m guessing his acquisition cost on that engine was probably much lower than that.

last week we had to change a CF6 due to the borescope finding a failing blade. Not really that unusual
Questions for PT6 guy and some armchair quarter backing. He said this is a picture of the PT-2 Rotor missing blades and PT-1 Rotor behind it. Wouldn't that be a stator? It seems weird not to have a stator between them.
Is that boroscope inspection for the blades a regular inspection? Is this something he could have missed?
Those blades look like they got a little hot at some point but cooking a blade on the PT rotor doesn't sound like hot starting to me. Wouldn't a hot start cook the GP blades?

For reference;
Patey's Engine from the video?
PATEY PT6.PNG

This is where the screen shot is from.
pt6-cutaway arrow.jpg

I got to see two F-18 engines rapidly disassemble on the boat, both at dusk. Very impressive show. The first one was on a test stand on the back of the boat, was going full afterburner when it went, big fireball and blobs of metal out the back.
Second one was just after they installed it, I was doing work in the cockpit of our bird and heard a boom from the bird next to us, all kinda smoke and fun stuff out the back. Pretty neat to watch.

Questions for PT6 guy and some armchair quarter backing. He said this is a picture of the PT-2 Rotor missing blades and PT-1 Rotor behind it. Wouldn't that be a stator? It seems weird not to have a stator between them.
Is that boroscope inspection for the blades a regular inspection? Is this something he could have missed?
Those blades look like they got a little hot at some point but cooking a blade on the PT rotor doesn't sound like hot starting to me. Wouldn't a hot start cook the GP blades?

That’s a stator in the picture. He should be able to see the rotor behind it though.

I can’t comment as to the borescope intervals on the PT6. But purchasing that engine without a borescope would be beyond stupid. I feel quite safe in assuming that was accomplished five running hours ago.

I’m guessing there’s more damage there that he has not discovered.

That’s a stator in the picture. He should be able to see the rotor behind it though.

I can’t comment as to the borescope intervals on the PT6. But purchasing that engine without a borescope would be beyond stupid. I feel quite safe in assuming that was accomplished five running hours ago.

He said he bought the engine directly from P&W and it was annual'd just before the flight. No way P&W would have sold it without doing the most basic of checks.

For sure. We have had a couple engines come through that have lost blades (LTS101s, not PT6s) and partially disassemble themselves. I love looking at all the parts it trashes. Guess I should put pictures in th ecarnage thread. 101s don't suddenly stop when a blade is lost, the inbalance just breaks and burns things until the fuel is shut off and its fascinating what a 15 pound fan spinning at 28000 rpm does to everything it has any connection to.

50k per aircraft and he has 10

Last edited:
Sounds like it was 50k a year, and he didn't specifically note it, but it sounds like the rates are intense because of his Draco wreck

I have heard taildragger insurance is going through the roof in general. He might be asking a couple million in coverage for a fragile airplane to be used in the back country. Its probably not repairable by anyone but him.

Hopefully his rates on the other aircraft are more reasonable.

Missed one…. Hanger107 live @KSPK live event this morning, it’s long even with the 28skip in the beginning. Interesting stuff.

Mike Patey and Juan Brown (Blancolirio) audio starts about 28min in….

I got to see two F-18 engines rapidly disassemble on the boat, both at dusk. Very impressive show. The first one was on a test stand on the back of the boat, was going full afterburner when it went, big fireball and blobs of metal out the back.
Second one was just after they installed it, I was doing work in the cockpit of our bird and heard a boom from the bird next to us, all kinda smoke and fun stuff out the back. Pretty neat to watch.

We were doing a check ride In my huey (army cc)....on the ground run up and doing the fuel switch cutoff....heard a boom and lose pressure..I duck out and see some flame...tell pilots cutoff immediately :laughing:.....some chunks went through the turbine...

Found a few pieces :homer:

Top Back Refresh