What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

lol who only does one side? :lmao:
Most of the wear on these mono boom 988h is the shit steel the use in main frame pieces. And bucket, bucket pin holes will egg shape before pins and bushings wear, same as boom to main frame. Boyd doesnt care much anymore, they have the attitude of you cant live without us.

So before me and the wife took off today to head to the women’s big ten tournament I got the bores all welded up. I just love how well this thing welds.
IMG_9466.jpeg
IMG_9465.jpeg
IMG_9469.jpeg

The old shopmaster loves these welds. Just lay down a weld for 5 mins straight.

IMG_9467.jpeg

maybe I missed it somewhere, but how in the lead not getting tangled up when it is spinning in circles for 5 minutes? That has to create a lot of loops in the lead.

maybe I missed it somewhere, but how in the lead not getting tangled up when it is spinning in circles for 5 minutes? That has to create a lot of loops in the lead.
The two black 1” nuts at the end of the welder where the welder lead attaches is a swivel. The liner is broke into two halves, lead half and the solid bar that rotates.

Big loader sales must be slowing down, we get this bad boy to demo for a week.

I will give Komatsu credit they like steel a lot more than Cat. With the exception of the fenders there is hardly any fiberglass on body panels on this.

Attachments

• PXL_20240307_185715377.jpg
    PXL_20240307_185715377.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46

I will give Komatsu credit they like steel a lot more than Cat. With the exception of the fenders there is hardly any fiberglass on body panels on this.
Does that one have the 10yd bucket on it, them are fun to get use to running with radials.

Does that one have the 10yd bucket on it, them are fun to get use to running with radials.
Probably closer to 8-9yde. Yeah not a fan of feed loaders having radials. I like me some bias for that application. A 500 is like a 980-982 in size. I want a 600 size komatsu.

Probably closer to 8-9yde. Yeah not a fan of feed loaders having radials. I like me some bias for that application. A 500 is like a 980-982 in size. I want a 600 size komatsu.

Pretty sure it's an 8 yd. It's a yard loader so the radials tend to be what we want.

As luck would have it ......
PXL_20240227_222128525.jpg

Let me know if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with the guys who have it in Rapid City.

I didnt really care for the one that I was stuck in.

The water bottle chiller is a nice touch though:grinpimp:

I didnt really care for the one that I was stuck in.

The water bottle chiller is a nice touch though:grinpimp:

I'm just the guy that gets to come up with the justification and do the paperwork to buy it. Between no attention span and poor depth perception I'm the last person you want operating a big loader for long enough to decide how much I like it.

They took away my barely running 980g that had fucked up controls and gave me the 500. I ran it for a bit then hunted down the 980 (which turned out to be sold) and parked the new loader. Boss sure got fired up about that :laughing:

They took away my barely running 980g that had fucked up controls and gave me the 500. I ran it for a bit then hunted down the 980 (which turned out to be sold) and parked the new loader. Boss sure got fired up about that :laughing:

Ironically this would replace a 980G in our fleet.

Panz why don't you like radial tires on your loaders? Bias ply are tougher and stand up to the gravel pit abuse better?

Panz why don't you like radial tires on your loaders? Bias ply are tougher and stand up to the gravel pit abuse better?
Yeah bias have tough as fuck sidewalls. You really need to keep an eye on tire pressures. You run a bias low and you’ll crack the sidewalls. The radial sidewalls bulge when loaded. They then get scuffed by rocks laying around on the ground. The shot rock loaders sometimes get wings welded on each side of the bucket to push the rock further away from the tires. Also radials are close to 1.5 times the price of bias.

Is he really saving any time with the wrecking ball reducing the size of the concrete? I understand trying to get the rebar out since it sounds like he is getting a impact crusher. Would a jaw crusher have been better for him to rent?

Is he really saving any time with the wrecking ball reducing the size of the concrete? I understand trying to get the rebar out since it sounds like he is getting a impact crusher. Would a jaw crusher have been better for him to rent?

seems dumb. should have a hammer/ breaker breaker on there. that's how they do it here

Is he really saving any time with the wrecking ball reducing the size of the concrete? I understand trying to get the rebar out since it sounds like he is getting an impact crusher. Would a jaw crusher have been better for him to rent

A jaw and impactor would be the way to go. However a tracked jaw is probably around 15-18k a month + wear parts to rent and the impactor is 25k a month + wear parts. Renting both doesn’t make economical sense for a pile that small. Cheapest method would be to hire a guy like me to come and crush the pile for $4-5/ton. The problem with that is it’s a small pile so you get put on the when we get time plan.

Have you guys seen this vid yet.

I was curious to the furhers input on how long it would’ve taken him to make those piles.

IMG_6309.png

He said 2 months to get this. Now, maybe that doesn’t include all the stone they used for the road I don’t know.

I was curious to the furhers input on how long it would’ve taken him to make those piles.

IMG_6309.png

He said 2 months to get this. Now, maybe that doesn’t include all the stone they used for the road I don’t know.
Yeah just through a breaker we would make quick work. There is probably 15-20,000 ton there. It looks like a lot but the pile isn’t very tall. Probably 2 maybe 3 weeks if it turned into a shit show.

We would have put in a large stacker and fed with a loader screw that feeding with an excavator. Thats a slow process. Fwiw we ran approx 400,000 ton of material last year between all my plants. Not bad for a 6 man show.

A jaw and impactor would be the way to go. However a tracked jaw is probably around 15-18k a month + wear parts to rent and the impactor is 25k a month + wear parts. Renting both doesn’t make economical sense for a pile that small. Cheapest method would be to hire a guy like me to come and crush the pile for $4-5/ton. The problem with that is it’s a small pile so you get put on the when we get time plan.
The company that was doing it never came back so he is stuck doing it for the customer. IIRC

IMG_6309.png

Plus all the rock he moved to build his firing range

Most of the wear on these mono boom 988h is the shit steel the use in main frame pieces. And bucket, bucket pin holes will egg shape before pins and bushings wear, same as boom to main frame. Boyd doesnt care much anymore, they have the attitude of you cant live without us.

Cat doesn't use shit steel in anything I'm aware of and I've done/do design work on a LOT of Cat machines including buckets, linkages, frame structures and powertrain systems.

Reactions: IGT
Out of curiosity what’s your minimum to set up the plant? Would you use that new tracked crusher on a job like that?

Out of curiosity what’s your minimum to set up the plant? Would you use that new tracked crusher on a job like that?
10,000 ton is about the minimum 15,000 would be better. Anything less and you spend more time moving the equipment around than doing the job it seems.

With how those big those chunks were before the wrecking ball you would almost have to have a jaw there also. Or an old 100,000# excavator in chop mode :lmao:.

My qi341 would be too small for the raw chunks. It could take them but you would spend to much time getting them unstuck from the impactor opening.

Now a qi442 would make quick work of that pile in one pass.

Top Back Refresh