What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

Snow day today so the boys were in the shop.

One set re bushed the bucket pins on my tc54h. The lower boom pins need a line bore job. I had the boys set the bar up for me.
IMG_9431.jpeg

I was figuring out how to adapter the cheapest Bridgeport power feed on Amazon to the carriage. I’m sick of hand feeding.
IMG_9432.jpeg
IMG_9433.jpeg

Another group was working on my new genset trailer. Walls all up doors in, horse stall mats on the floor. Time to start putting panels in and getting lights and outlets all wired in.
IMG_9434.jpeg
IMG_9435.jpeg
IMG_9436.jpeg

Last bunch of guys got that idler assembly swapped on the 9060b. Stupid thing sat in the pit all winter. Jump in it this morning at 10 degrees out and it fires right up. No jumping or Cosby sauce required.

I didn’t get pictures of the idler I was busy ramming the tensioner with the forklift to get the grease pushed out.

Back to crushing tomorrow

Last edited:
I have 100% faith in my skills. My last cut was exactly 2x the amount required. The freaking tool was lying to me :lmao::homer:. I’ll get it on the third try. I was wondering why it was chattering more than usually when I was roughing it. Taking a huge cut will do that:lmao:
Sometimes I need to be told twice myself, It's how we learn:flipoff2:

Had to yell at dad this morning. Calls says someone is putting in a storage unit deal near where we are recycling that huge pile of concrete. They want to put a layer of breaker stone under the whole shit. I told him to see if they would use this concrete broken into 6” minus.

He then was all how you gonna do it blah blah blah. Told him to not worry about it and just get it sold I’ll handle it. My god he worries about the stupidest shit. If someone wants to buy $30,000 in materials from me which is only 2 days of work which we are all ready doing I’ll figure it out :mad3:. I hate this time of year when he has nothing going on he likes to get up into my shit.

Had to yell at dad this morning. Calls says someone is putting in a storage unit deal near where we are recycling that huge pile of concrete. They want to put a layer of breaker stone under the whole shit. I told him to see if they would use this concrete broken into 6” minus.

He then was all how you gonna do it blah blah blah. Told him to not worry about it and just get it sold I’ll handle it. My god he worries about the stupidest shit. If someone wants to buy $30,000 in materials from me which is only 2 days of work which we are all ready doing I’ll figure it out :mad3:. I hate this time of year when he has nothing going on he likes to get up into my shit.
Hate when any of the other employees put all kinds of barriers up on lucrative jobs. Have to make money and it's waaaay easier to do one high margin job than 5 low margin ones.

Cannot imagine having to have that fight with family:laughing:

Hate when any of the other employees put all kinds of barriers up on lucrative jobs. Have to make money and it's waaaay easier to do one high margin job than 5 low margin ones.

Cannot imagine having to have that fight with family:laughing:
It’s not even that lucrative just an easy job which where the project is at we are so close it’s less than 1/2 the time of the next closest guy. It is 100% ours to lose :homer:. Just go sell your good at it I’ll figure out the rest. That’s all you need to do. :homer:

I hate this time of year when he has nothing going on he likes to get up into my shit.
My supervisors are like this. When they are slow they love to start shit up. "We need training, blah blah.... why are you cert'ing these employees" Then when they get going again its, "we cant send people. Too busy." Rinse repeat.

We have a bunch of engineers that talk thru a whole meeting about potential problems. We employ you for solutions, make it work bitches. It’s not like this job is any different than the last one.

sucks about the IR S scum. my tax guy worked for the govIRS for many years. his info was apart of one of the big data breeches they've had and the letter admitting their eff up and the insurance guarantees following is framed on his wall. not his diplomas and other accomplishments. he hates the collectors more than anyone I know. great person to have on my side.

aside from that I thought i'd share. both the local pits started crushing recently, one low-key and not under msha bs with a huge stock pile of concrete to crush and the other is basically the go to for many in western Wa. so its been a very unexpected crazy week for me.

I love this thread because I do learn and it helps me earn me keep. I suck with trying to keep a phone on me and take pics, but here some of this last week. (I think most know what I do caters far more towards the marine/ commercial fishing side. and residential to fill in the gaps)

some pics

ngNkN33xDxv_TJ_USn8-R=w449-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

they really need this replaced, not repaired, but I do what's asked.
lQszTIRSznDgs338YAEJc=w449-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

KmFizEWqdfJZdhoaC6xAq=w799-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

different pit.

a new cone thing in this one. been helping with adding parts for the upgrade and the fab parts needed.
83H5KYFFqS7JBdRKemH3s=w799-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

(they hate that Lincoln welder, I've never used Lincoln other than an ln25. funny to hear them talk about tho)

terex thing is new. i'm told $$$,$$$
b81dvJszPyW6zZvmFJzyT=w449-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

said the base plate in the one they took out is break apart

kVkLwkVAmpyR4NwxVniV=w1006-h468-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

again I suck at getting pics but this is the last blast they are pulling rock from and feeding it to another crusher off to the left. from what i've seen mostly making massive piles of 3/4 minus or so.

cCQd6QI7chyXhzg5BqwDD=w799-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

i'll be back there Monday putting some parts on that terex thing and then I've got to rebuild the thumb teeth on their Volvo 480. also did a tooth replacement and other bucket repair for the 390 Hitachi, but I didn't take pics. that one they brought to the shop, under the heaters and use off all their equipment made it easy. I've posted a few repairs on this bucket before.

HhpynvuXPZBvVmjLa9pm3=w449-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

That looks like a mvp380 or mvp450 cone. Basically a few generations newer of my eljay cone. Thats a 400-500k price of iron there. That is one of the most productive cones you can buy but it is also one you need to really watch. Lots of expensive parts in those guys. It has close to 100k just in roller bearings in that bitch.

Most guys me included have moved towards a bushing cone. You can buy all the bushings for the cost of one or two of the ball bearings. They don’t last as long and there are more frequent maintenance items but they don’t have the omg this thing needs 150-200k in parts because we crashed it.

I like how all the quarry guys have figured out the cat j450 teeth are where it’s at. They are the most cost effective and stay on the best of any of the teeth I have ever used. They are $80-90 a tooth system. Beats the $280 a tooth for the latest and greatest esco ultra lock tooth.

It’s funny how we also figured out how repair/ put the same wear protection on it. It get old wearing a bucket floor out in a only a year.
IMG_9387.jpeg

did you engrave "RAD" on/near the dial on that boring head?
prolly be a good idea
stick "DIA" on the other ones

I never even trust if they're graduated in inches, chinese shit I've only ever used

did you engrave "RAD" on/near the dial on that boring head?
prolly be a good idea
stick "DIA" on the other ones

I never even trust if they're graduated in inches, chinese shit I've only ever used
These are good made in America boring heads. Not the made in u s a China ones :lmao:. I should mark it. However I will remember from now on. Doing the same bore a few times reinforces that.

Not the made in u s a China ones :lmao:.
ahh yes "oohsah" province in the guangdong economic development zone, velly nice numbah one

I've got a couple old 'facing slide' heads, and a newall universal (look that fucker up they are way neat, you can advance and retract the tool while the spindle's turning) but I've never actually used any of the nice ones in anger

ahh yes "oohsah" province in the guangdong economic development zone, velly nice numbah one

I've got a couple old 'facing slide' heads, and a newall universal (look that fucker up they are way neat, you can advance and retract the tool while the spindle's turning) but I've never actually used any of the nice ones in anger
That newall made by the former member at PM? I always enjoy looking at the shit he made. He made those beautiful and super super accurate dividing heads.

These are good made in America boring heads. Not the made in u s a China ones :lmao:. I should mark it. However I will remember from now on. Doing the same bore a few times reinforces that.
Confirming the adjustment with an indicator is a quick double check :laughing:

That newall made by the former member at PM?
got a link?
this guy's ancient and british, the setscrew holes for clamping a bar in it are whitworth and I can't bring myself to tap them to unified, been needing to get some setscrews for it for the last decade or so

got a link?
this guy's ancient and british, the setscrew holes for clamping a bar in it are whitworth and I can't bring myself to tap them to unified, been needing to get some setscrews for it for the last decade or so
I was mistaken newbould was the dividing head guy.

oh that thing, I remember that thread
I remember the guy was saying he had to run the injection molding dies himself because the parts were too fragile when still hot outta the mold

That looks like a mvp380 or mvp450 cone. Basically a few generations newer of my eljay cone. Thats a 400-500k price of iron there. That is one of the most productive cones you can buy but it is also one you need to really watch. Lots of expensive parts in those guys. It has close to 100k just in roller bearings in that bitch.

Most guys me included have moved towards a bushing cone. You can buy all the bushings for the cost of one or two of the ball bearings. They don’t last as long and there are more frequent maintenance items but they don’t have the omg this thing needs 150-200k in parts because we crashed it.

I like how all the quarry guys have figured out the cat j450 teeth are where it’s at. They are the most cost effective and stay on the best of any of the teeth I have ever used. They are $80-90 a tooth system. Beats the $280 a tooth for the latest and greatest esco ultra lock tooth.

It’s funny how we also figured out how repair/ put the same wear protection on it. It get old wearing a bucket floor out in a only a year.
IMG_9387.jpeg

they told me $500k for the terex cone (all new belts and some additional hydraulic system) and its first job is at a place that is known to have dragger teeth that have got past the magnet in the past. from what they say, its pretty impressive what happens when a tooth fall into the cone. the last one went airborne in spectacular way.

i'm showing this pick to the site lead... I've been telling him for awhile there's this dude on the interweb, a rock god, that knows what's up, and the little 1/2" wear bars they request are a joke! last year I did all knew side lugs like in your pick, but those got to be 1" wear bars. the 1/2" ones I put on are gone, they dont understand replacing the outside is a way bigger deal than an interior liner.

do you have an opinion on AR steels vs hardox? I'm planning on 1.5" AR500 for the thumb rehab, never dealt with hardox but the owner was asking and I don't have an opinion currently other than one is a brand name and the other as astm rating. in western Wa here i'm not aware of any steel supplier that carries hardox, but most of the wear part suppliers are hardox reps. I like the idea of something better than AR but it adds extra steps for me. (my cnc table only has a pm65 ~1" cap, ordering sheets and swapping to oxyfuel to cut has so far been a waste of time. so far i've done very well to send my cut files to the supplier rather than cut anything myself over 3/4", they have great cutting and forming capacity. biggest is side by side 500ton press ~ 40ft total. and the obvious plasma and laser to compliment that/those machines. even being hours drive away... a relay yard between me and them. been my best supplier)

this pit brake those j540 shanks off enough, I'm sure i'm replaced all of them at least once since I did the new mold bar a little over a year ago. (I know I post here when I did that mold bar asking a few questions)

the pit owner is a huge statewide company that only takes advice a little at a time. the crusher guys are a different contractor, me and the crusher owner butted heads many years ago about plasma vs oxy/fuel... he's been hiring me allot lately tho, and pretty much lets me do everything the way I decide now.

so i'll bounce this off you... the 480 thumb he's had all the teeth cut out and completely replaced every ~1.5yrs for awhile now. I haven't done any of that work. I don't see any reason to go thru all that work, i've proposed and got the go ahead to just cap the teeth with the 1.5" AR500 the point has been worn down ~6" and the face ~1.5" or so from this pic. so that would be the added 'cap' the existing are of unknown hardness and 1.25" material.
you see any reason a cap isn't the better choice? I can post up the cut pattern I plan to add to this tomorrow.

SddouDXKHzpFgLpbjOLu8=w799-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
I learned the hard way that you absolutely do not use plain phos-copper rod on anything that carries current
used it to braze back together the windings on a starter motor and it never had half the power it should have, I figured it was just my poor rebuilding efforts, but then later on I brazed together a bus bar/branch connection and noticed that the junction got REALLY hot when in use

high silver content (and low nickel) rod is seriously what you want, there
I have filled in Cummins starter contacts with silver solder.. worked like a champ.

they told me $500k for the terex cone (all new belts and some additional hydraulic system) and its first job is at a place that is known to have dragger teeth that have got past the magnet in the past. from what they say, its pretty impressive what happens when a tooth fall into the cone. the last one went airborne in spectacular way.

i'm showing this pick to the site lead... I've been telling him for awhile there's this dude on the interweb, a rock god, that knows what's up, and the little 1/2" wear bars they request are a joke! last year I did all knew side lugs like in your pick, but those got to be 1" wear bars. the 1/2" ones I put on are gone, they dont understand replacing the outside is a way bigger deal than an interior liner.

do you have an opinion on AR steels vs hardox? I'm planning on 1.5" AR500 for the thumb rehab, never dealt with hardox but the owner was asking and I don't have an opinion currently other than one is a brand name and the other as astm rating. in western Wa here i'm not aware of any steel supplier that carries hardox, but most of the wear part suppliers are hardox reps. I like the idea of something better than AR but it adds extra steps for me. (my cnc table only has a pm65 ~1" cap, ordering sheets and swapping to oxyfuel to cut has so far been a waste of time. so far i've done very well to send my cut files to the supplier rather than cut anything myself over 3/4", they have great cutting and forming capacity. biggest is side by side 500ton press ~ 40ft total. and the obvious plasma and laser to compliment that/those machines. even being hours drive away... a relay yard between me and them. been my best supplier)

this pit brake those j540 shanks off enough, I'm sure i'm replaced all of them at least once since I did the new mold bar a little over a year ago. (I know I post here when I did that mold bar asking a few questions)

the pit owner is a huge statewide company that only takes advice a little at a time. the crusher guys are a different contractor, me and the crusher owner butted heads many years ago about plasma vs oxy/fuel... he's been hiring me allot lately tho, and pretty much lets me do everything the way I decide now.

so i'll bounce this off you... the 480 thumb he's had all the teeth cut out and completely replaced every ~1.5yrs for awhile now. I haven't done any of that work. I don't see any reason to go thru all that work, i've proposed and got the go ahead to just cap the teeth with the 1.5" AR500 the point has been worn down ~6" and the face ~1.5" or so from this pic. so that would be the added 'cap' the existing are of unknown hardness and 1.25" material.
you see any reason a cap isn't the better choice? I can post up the cut pattern I plan to add to this tomorrow.

SddouDXKHzpFgLpbjOLu8=w799-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
Ar vs hardox hardox is quite a bit more money. Cannot be formed. I’m not sold that’s it’s worth the premium. Our rock is super abrasive so nothing lasts. When it gets overcast out you can see sparks flying:mad3:.

As to the thumb rebuild unsure how I would fix that. Would need to put hands on it to see what I would do to repair it. It’s one of those thing that constantly wear out from the rock. Too bad they don’t make a banana should with teeth on it so it could be a replaceable item. I don’t use the thumb much in my pits. B

Top Back Refresh