What's new

Ozempic, wegovy, mounjaro

My wife is trying to get the Ozempic approval and was able to get her A1C levels to reflect the need for it. Next is to start it and see.

My father was prescribed it post cardiac arrest and has lost 50# in short order.

I'm not on it.

Ran across an article a couple days ago, then this thread popped up...

Here's a google link from Forbes :homer:

My SIL is taking it. Ozempic I think. She was over weight, even had a gastric sleeve done. Never really dropped weight because her eating habits are horrible.

This stuff worked though. She is now so skinny that everyone is starting to worry about her. She went from around 250 down to 120 in under a year. She just doesn't eat, or want to eat.

I thought there was a shortage of the stuff? So many people wanted it for weight loss?

She works as a hospice nurse and think she is stealing them from work. Maybe not, but can't seem to get a straight answer out of her and now she is getting thin enough she needs to stop. Can't believe her doctor would still be prescribing them.

Got a friend who used it and didn't need to, was in good shape with some muscle mass but more fat than desired. Got prescription, took it, lost the weight (including muscle mass), stopped taking it gained the weight back in fat. Worse of than not taking it. Should have just dialled in the diet. They admit it was not a good choice.

That's a common outcome when used just for weight loss. 10/10 not recommended.

Diet improvement & exercise are the answer

Have a diabetic friend that uses ozempic, works great to keep his b.s in check, the drawback for him is he always feels full and has to essentially force himself to eat to maintain weight. He's 6' plus, and now weighs less than I do.

Got a couple buddies who got their docs to issue mounjaro prescriptions for being fat and lazy. The weight loss plateaued at 6-8 weeks even after increasing dosage. One of them got off it/ didn’t refill immediately and started ballooning back up with a quickness.

Just looked at the retail price on goodrx and it’s $1100 for 4 doses before insurance or discount card.

I lost more weight on keto carnivore diet, but they won’t give up the copious amounts of bourbon in their daily routines.

Last edited:
All of the ones i listed are outrageous in price. Ozempic has helped a lot of people with that are type 2 diabetic. These type meds seem to help extremely well with weight loss also. If it wasnt for my insurance covering the cost, it would not even be an option. Looks like it will be a while before a generic is available.
Giving up sugar and carbs, eat right and exercise etc are pretty easy to say and will work if you do it. Just not always easy to do. Genetics plays a big part in weight gain too.
I have done the sugar and carb thing before and lost weight. Just staying with it for several months gets old after a while.

It does, but so does feeling like shit because you're eating processed crap all the time. Mentally and physically.

It's been almost 7 years since I finally got my shit together, started working out and eating a lot better. First week I lost 7# and basically stopped snoring. I've been down 50#, put some back on, but always 35-40# down from my highest. I'm in better shape now than I was at 30, 40, 45. Mentally I'm better off, physically I'm better off. I've slacked off on eating clean all the time (especially beer) but I still feel better.

It's a mindset...use a pill to "feel" better or work hard.

BTW, cholesterol and triglycerides plummeted as well.

My wife is trying to get the Ozempic approval and was able to get her A1C levels to reflect the need for it. Next is to start it and see.

Keto, ultra low carb, carnivore, they all have the same effect and are sustainable.

Keto, ultra low carb, carnivore, they all have the same effect and are sustainable.
Or you can eat the proper good carbs in moderate or limited amounts with proper calorie intake and lose weight. I dont know anyone thats tried to sustain the carnivore or keto diet tht has any kind of real endurance. They always gas out way before anyone else.

The best method Ive seen in people who needed or wanted to lose weight was to use a food tracker app, and use it honestly. Most people just dont relize how much garbage and how many calories theyre stuffing in their faces.

A fat friend of mine was complaining about how he "cut back" on what he was eating and still couldnt lose weight. He started using a tracker and found out his "cut back" diet was still over 5000 calories. He started keeping track and dropped 40lbs in 3 months. Then he started working out and is down over 100lbs in a year.

Youre fat because you eat too much, and dont move enough.

When I lost weight/started working out, it was a combo of the recommended grams of healthy fat, healthy carbs and protein. It's based on height, weight, body style, amount of working out.

It's a better method but a PITA to measure food amounts constantly.

Or you can eat the proper good carbs in moderate or limited amounts with proper calorie intake and lose weight. I dont know anyone thats tried to sustain the carnivore or keto diet tht has any kind of real endurance. They always gas out way before anyone else.

The best method Ive seen in people who needed or wanted to lose weight was to use a food tracker app, and use it honestly. Most people just dont relize how much garbage and how many calories theyre stuffing in their faces.

A fat friend of mine was complaining about how he "cut back" on what he was eating and still couldnt lose weight. He started using a tracker and found out his "cut back" diet was still over 5000 calories. He started keeping track and dropped 40lbs in 3 months. Then he started working out and is down over 100lbs in a year.

Youre fat because you eat too much, and dont move enough.
No such thing as a good carb. Try again.

Wrong...try again.

Potatoes are an excellent carb. In the correct amount. Carrots, beans, tomatoes, fruit, rice...the list goes on.
I guess if you can't eat what your body needs those are the best of the worst kind of food when you're starving, sure.

IIRC carbohydrates are the only non essential food group.

Certainly not the FDA, who tells us to base our diet around carbohydrates, per their food pyramid.

Well that's a given.

Someone respectable...not NIH or Mayo either.

Carbs don’t make you fat, calories do. Cutting out a macro isn’t going to make you lose weight unless you can’t control yourself.

Ice cream is my weakness. I love that shit. Cutting carbs would make me lose weight since I wouldn’t be eating a ton of excess calories of ice cream every week. Then I would think cutting carbs makes me lose weight and tell everyone how my paleoketovore diet is the best.

It seems the Mark UP is a bit extreme on some of these products.

I don't like big pharma one bit, but there is more than "it costs 89 cents to manufacture one dose".

It takes ungodly amounts of money to develop a new drug and get it approved. Most new drugs don't make to the end for one reason or another (or perhaps because they didn't grease the right palms in DC :flipoff2:)

All of this has to be paid for somehow.

I don't like big pharma one bit, but there is more than "it costs 89 cents to manufacture one dose".

It takes ungodly amounts of money to develop a new drug and get it approved. Most new drugs don't make to the end for one reason or another (or perhaps because they didn't grease the right palms in DC :flipoff2:)

All of this has to be paid for somehow.

Dude most of those development costs are born by the Federal Government Grants to Research Universities.

Top Back Refresh