What's new

Operation Mobile Meth Lab Retrieval -12v cummins guys and allison tranny guys welcome.

Here's a little taste of the chaos. I just need to take some time and work JUST on that. I'm pretty sure it can be more simple(and a lot cleaner) than it is, but it works 99% of the time:
IMG_20200715_132238.jpg

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

You started the thread with "this one weird issue" and now at page 3 we're at " the hacktasic swap and wiring done by a meth head on a 5 day binge".

I change my answer to either invest the $ and rewire that entire fucking thing or sell it to someone with full disclosure of the Methhead Customs wiring job to the next guy.

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

You started the thread with "this one weird issue" and now at page 3 we're at " the hacktasic swap and wiring done by a meth head on a 5 day binge".

I change my answer to either invest the $ and rewire that entire fucking thing or sell it to someone with full disclosure of the Methhead Customs wiring job to the next guy.
Found the OCD wiring guy :flipoff2:

But yes, I hear you.

Even once I fix this for good, we're probably going to sell it, since my wife now doesn't trust it after getting us stuck with kids in the most ghetto part of San Bernardino.

Bummer because I think it's cool as hell and when working, I got 12 mpg towing 7,000 lbs down the freeway at 60 mph. At current diesel vs gas prices in California, it was actually cheaper to drive all this to the desert than it would have been to take our Tundra on 35s getting 13 mpg at 70-75 mph.
stick a 7spd single countershaft manual into it
ETA: woah suddenly there's three pages
maybe someone already suggested it...

after reading the rest of the thread and seeing your shifter concerns
get one from a cabover box truck like an isuzu NPR or something
they just got a driveshaft looking rod with U-joints that does the shifter magic, kinda like an old honda or VW
some of them got cable shifters, too

I want to say it's sae #1 bellhousing that bolts up to a Cummins directly. Then you just need to find a trans which is pretty easy to do. In something like that a generic overdrive 10 speed would be fine. Gotta have an air supply but I'm guessing the motorhome is on air?

I wish you were close to me, I would actually enjoy rewiring that nightmare for you.

Seriously, it looks like a fun project to me.
If I was indeed closer, I would take you up on it. Maybe I need to take a slightly unreliable road trip to TN...do we have a bad idea emoji?

I'm actually not mad at that wiring. But Flatbill McGill has a point here.
So the greenish wire with black heatshrink missing an end and the the black wire with the ring terminal do not bother me that much, they could have been left off intentionally. The green wire in the lower right corner is definitely suspect. what type of component is it supposed to be hooked to?

So the greenish wire with black heatshrink missing an end and the the black wire with the ring terminal do not bother me that much, they could have been left off intentionally. The green wire in the lower right corner is definitely suspect. what type of component is it supposed to be hooked to?
It's not part of the harness to the TCM (wires are too old and not run to the right location, but I'll definitely be investigating when I go down. I'm going to bring stuff to fix little things like that with me. I suspect, however, that it's part of the old house wiring for the motorhome that mostly got replaced when the new stuff was swapped in.

All the beige insulated wires are old house power stuff. Half of them don't do anything anymore. I need to clean them out, but yeah, Jeep project + 2 kids + mountain biking addiction + full time job means the motorhome hasn't got much love.

All the beige insulated wires are old house power stuff. Half of them don't do anything anymore. I need to clean them out, but yeah, Jeep project + 2 kids + mountain biking addiction + full time job means the motorhome hasn't got much love.
That wiring is also like 6 strand wire too isn't it?

While it looks terrible that wiring for the charging system isn't all that bad. It could be made functional easily enough or replaced completely if you wanted to.

Now you know why I've been avoiding it :flipoff2:

I also found some equally as clear documentation included in the binder. I really really really wish I could read the handwriting.

IMG_20200629_155924.jpg

Two things occurred to me:
1. I probably couldn't do much better without some adult supervision
2. They stuck to the plan almost exactly as drawn.
well...

when the time comes to correct that. Check this out

about the size of a index card...use them either from the bucket truck upfitter or in our projects at work to run the inverter battery. Work great dont die

sneaky, hiding your face with the phone
in both reflections, no less

Ha! Wasn't even my intention. I think there are actual head shots of me floating around here somewhere.

well...

when the time comes to correct that. Check this out

about the size of a index card...use them either from the bucket truck upfitter or in our projects at work to run the inverter battery. Work great dont die
That is bad ass and I'm definitely going to use one on the motorhome.

You get it fixed yet?
Well, I got it home. No plan survives contact with the enemy and this was especially true in this case.

I'll write the whole thing down later, but for now my wife is demanding I get in the shower for some reason... It's almost like crawling under a greasy-ass diesel in a strange parking lot is gross or something?

Well, I got it home. No plan survives contact with the enemy and this was especially true in this case.

I'll write the whole thing down later, but for now my wife is demanding I get in the shower for some reason... It's almost like crawling under a greasy-ass diesel in a strange parking lot is gross or something?
anticipation.jpg

Were the clothes you were wearing allowed inside the house? If they were ya couldn't have been that bad.

Top Back Refresh