What's new

Operation Mobile Meth Lab Retrieval -12v cummins guys and allison tranny guys welcome.

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
Disclaimer: This is a story I'm providing purely for entertainment on irate. If you don't care about the trials and tribulations of some random yahoo wrangling his RV home across 320 miles of California countryside, then this thread is probably not worth your time.

I may have mentioned it in a few other threads, but I've got an old 30' 1980 Avco Class A motorhome with a 5.9 12v and Allison 2200HD transmission. It's got a few other cool bits on it like a Dana 80 with disc brakes out back. I love it, the wife loves it, our kids love it.

u6PPQ3sh.jpg

It is 40 years old, and has that breaking bad vibe, so we had to add this to clear a few things up:

COifPAyh.jpg

So yeah, this thing is awesome, but over veteran's day weekend, it let me down.

We were coming back from Supersition OHV towing our jeep on a flatbed, kids and all. The trip had been good. It was the first time I had got to live out my plan of towing our 5,300 lb jeep on a flatbed trailer to camp in the desert and four wheel with the kids. The 500+ mile drive down (with a stop at the grandparent's house in san diego) had been good, and the motorhome kicked ass over the two big mountain passes we had to drive to get there, fully loaded. I was pretty stoked.
hBaEAmsh.jpg

Cue the problem. We had just come up out of the desert on I-10 when my transmission threw a code and the problem light came on my dash. I have had throttle position sensors go out in the past on this thing, and I could tell from the way it was shifting that was the issue. As soon as the TPS dies on this thing, the Allison computer basically decides it doesn't know what's going on and decides that it's no longer safe to lock up my torque converter. When you're weighing in around 23,000 lbs rolling down the road, no lockup means no more freeway speeds and tranny temps soaring to the moon. No big deal, I had a spare, so I pull over at a local gas station, the wife takes the kids to get some lunch, and I swap the TPS. We load back up, go to get on the freeway, and boom. Tranny error light comes back on. This is not good.

Long story short, I end up extending my trip by a day, paying a pile of money to get the whole the towed to my in-laws house in Torrance, Ca. and going through the whole setup with a multi-meter the next morning.

V2SCLich.jpg

I also bought two more sensors from the local auto parts store. I found one hot wire that was arcing out on a metal relay plate the previous owner had installed, so I cleaned that up and added a rubber ring to make sure that didn't happen again. I traced everything else and it looked good... the arcing wire had nothing to do with the TPS or the TCU, but I had seen stranger things cause the problem so I figured I'd swap in a new TPS and flogged it on a 30 minute test drive. Everything seemed to be good to go, so I headed back, hitched up the trailer with our jeep, loaded up the wife and kids, and headed out. It looked like we'd be home by dinner time. I got about 5 miles down the road from their house when BOOM, error light comes on and trans starts shifting weird.

Wife and I decide we don't want to deal with this right now or pay out the nose for more towing, so we put the damn thing in storage. Wife drove the kids home in her mom's little honda, and I took some drastic measures to make sure my jeep and trailer made it home(it was the biggest drop hitch I could find on short notice):
jilFMpVh.jpg

So there it sits, in storage in Redondo Beach:
mIHbWLfh.jpg

Now, before I started carrying spare throttle position sensors, I have had to limp this thing home with no lockup up highway 101 from Ventura. So I know it can make it without towing anything. Extra bonus this time is it's fairly unloaded with none of our crap for the kids, no water in the tank, and freshly dumped grey and black water.

I have ONE spare TPS that I haven't burnt up in it, and I think I'm going to take one last final crack at tracking down my TPS gremlin before I give up and limp it home.

So here's the plan: I'm driving my mother-in-law's little honda down to southern California on Thanksgiving day. I THINK I'm going to make a detour to San Diego, see the parents for thanksgiving and grab a bag of tools I forgot there on our last trip down. After that I'm going to give the honda back the day after thanksgiving, hop in this motorhome and drive it to the nearest county park parking lot to begin my sketchy troubleshooting. At this point, I'm driving back north no matter what.

As far as trouble shooting goes. I'm first going to test the "bad" TPS with my multimeter. I don't know why I didn't think to do this last time, but it could be that all of the sensors are fine, it's my TCU that has crapped out.

I also plan on checking the adjustment of the TPS. It should be reading 0 volts at no throttle and about 5 volts at WOT. I have heard you can adjust this with a 10mm crescent behind the TPS bracket. We shall see how that goes:
O7Btyjj.png

If all of those are good, my final guess is that maybe the TPS is getting too hot right there on the block and the plastic is deforming, thereby not allowing everything to work right in there. I do have a length of AC duct that I might try running from the grill to the TPS somehow. I'm also thinking I'll try not to crank down too hard on the two bolts holding the TPS in place.

Lastly, I bought a sketchy license and version of the Allison diagnostic software for $40 (MSRP $3,000) and a $20 USB to OBD dongle to plug everything in. I know you can monitor the TPS output with that IF everything works. I actually don't expect it to, but you know what they say: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

Other than that, I just might be driving ridiculously slow back home and taking breaks at the top of every big hill to let the tranny cool off. Depending on how well my phone posts pictures to irate, I'll try to update this thread.

Ok, I now open the floor to the irate peanut gallery to tell me what I'm doing wrong. :flipoff2::beer::flipoff2::beer::idea:

figure out how to hot wire the lockup on a toggle switch

Does it run thru the gears normally?

Junk in the fluid indicating a real problem?
Runs through the gears normally with or without the tps... It's a dog though because normally it locks up the TC between each gear and that's where I can actually put down power.

Fluid is good, and actually even looked good after I changed it the first time we ran into this issue and I hauled it over two horrendous hills that got the tranny so hot I could feel it through the floorboards. I even had the local allison tranny tech check it out after the fact and he said everything looked good.

I looked into a manual lockup. Turns out this fancy Allison I have doesn't work that way, only the TCU is allowed to do the locking up somehow. You can't even program one in.

I did also buy one of these, I'm thinking I might try to wire it up as a last ditch effort:
5.9L 12V Dodge Diesel TPS/APPS Delete Kit

By "hotwire" I mean, look at the schematic, figure out what the computer sends to the lockup clutch, and figure out where in that circuit you can tap in and replicate that command with some sketchy speaker wire wrapped around a battery terminal, and a pair of wires sticking out tube dash that you pinch together as needed:flipoff2:

Make your TPS measurements in situ if you can to verify the +5 and 0 coming from the TCU are what they should be while you are taking the dmm readings. Check for continuty between the 0v side and frame ground. That should likely be isolated.
IDK about that TPS, but on the ones for mdt isb's, are actually hall effect sensors with circuity to make them look like a potentiometer with mechanical wipers. Hall effect last much longer.

And I feel your pain on having a TCC that won't lockup. You can feel all that hard earned horsepower going straight to heat.

By "hotwire" I mean, look at the schematic, figure out what the computer sends to the lockup clutch, and figure out where in that circuit you can tap in and replicate that command with some sketchy speaker wire wrapped around a battery terminal, and a pair of wires sticking out tube dash that you pinch together as needed:flipoff2:
yeah, from what I have read, if the TC locks up without the tranny computers permission, it freaks out and goes into limp mode (3rd gear, reverse, and neutral only).

The part of this whole thing that kills me is the newest, most expensive thing on this damn motorhome is what's giving me the most trouble.

I love the shape of thos Avco RVs, good luck on getting it home
Even once I fix this for good, we're probably going to sell it, since my wife now doesn't trust it after getting us stuck with kids in the most ghetto part of San Bernardino.

Bummer because I think it's cool as hell and when working, I got 12 mpg towing 7,000 lbs down the freeway at 60 mph. At current diesel vs gas prices in California, it was actually cheaper to drive all this to the desert than it would have been to take our Tundra on 35s getting 13 mpg at 70-75 mph.

You need someone to come out with Allison software and read the codes on your TCM. It very well could be something other than the TPS. Without the ability to read codes you're just going to be throwing parts at it, you might get lucky but that's not something I'd bet on.

You need someone to come out with Allison software and read the codes on your TCM. It very well could be something other than the TPS. Without the ability to read codes you're just going to be throwing parts at it, you might get lucky but that's not something I'd bet on.
yeah, if I can get it home, I have a badass Allison tech close by.

Historically I've been able to just swap in a new TPS and it fixes all my problems (found out by my badass Allison tech last time he plugged in: "Your TPS is out to lunch bro, look right here.")

But you're right. Problem is, I had other guys plug in before that and tell me all sorts of other bad news, so I have trust issues with those Allison dudes now. Maybe I'll get lucky and the software + dongle I have will be able to read codes, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

yeah, if I can get it home, I have a badass Allison tech close by.

Historically I've been able to just swap in a new TPS and it fixes all my problems (found out by my badass Allison tech last time he plugged in: "Your TPS is out to lunch bro, look right here.")

But you're right. Problem is, I had other guys plug in before that and tell me all sorts of other bad news, so I have trust issues with those Allison dudes now. Maybe I'll get lucky and the software + dongle I have will be able to read codes, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Sounds similar to "has an o2 sensor code, needs a new one".

A generic j1939 scanner shouldn't be too expensive? I've got a couple and don't remember them being too bad. Arduino could even do it. I have a generic obd j1939 .dbc file if you need a copy.

I'd say you need to pull codes and actually see what's going instead of assuming and throwing parts at it. I think it's much more likely that there's a different problem that happens to manifest in the same manner than somehow 4 different TPS sensors are all mysteriously bad.

Sounds similar to "has an o2 sensor code, needs a new one".

A generic j1939 scanner shouldn't be too expensive? I've got a couple and don't remember them being too bad. Arduino could even do it. I have a generic obd j1939 .dbc file if you need a copy.
He actually showed me the screen with the TPS voltage output. It barely budged at 50% throttle. I took it home and swapped in a new TPS and we were good for a long time.

I don't know much about pulling codes from one of these controllers, but our Allison guy successfully plugged into the OBD port that was wired up to the TCU.
I am now the proud owner of Allison Doc 2017 software and I picked up a crappy USB to OBD dongle for my laptop. We'll see if that works.

I'd say you need to pull codes and actually see what's going instead of assuming and throwing parts at it. I think it's much more likely that there's a different problem that happens to manifest in the same manner than somehow 4 different TPS sensors are all mysteriously bad.
Yeah, one thing that doesn't jive for me is that other than one time, every time I have swapped in a new TPS, it has fixed the issue... at least for a short time.

whats the shift slector look like ? is the type that will shit out codes for you?

You're a no balls cuck if you get this fixed and cave to your wife and sell it.

Be a man. Tell her you're keeping it.

It's a sweet ride. If you do sell I'll come out, put it on a flat bed, bring it home and kick your wife's purse where your balls are kept. :flipoff2:

That's how you fuck up your grounds and then wind up going in circles.

Check resistance to ground and that's it.
So I should know better, but I don't know how to do this. I know how to set my multimeter to check for resistance, but I don't know if I'm supposed to have some, none, a lot, or what. Care to elaborate for someone whose dad would fix a car problem by putting water in it and then taking it to the dealership?

if you checking the effectiveness of your ground, you would want to be seeing very little resistance.

Top Back Refresh