What's new

Ohhh boy free case bud light....

Remember how people were so butthurt about the NFL players taking a knee? Remember people saying they wouldn't watch? Amazing how they all changed their mind and decided football was cool again. Time heals all wounds.
:shaking:

You would be wrong. I haven't watched a game since. I was a rabid, lifelong Cowboys fan.

Forever. Bud Light will sit on the floors of grocery store alcohol aisles until it sells. It won't taste any different when it sells a year from now.

Remember how people were so butthurt about the NFL players taking a knee? Remember people saying they wouldn't watch? Amazing how they all changed their mind and decided football was cool again. Time heals all wounds. AB InBev will be just fine. Pepperidge Farm will be reminding people when they decide their moral stance about transgender stuff isn't as important as Bud Light being their beer of choice.
Fuck the nfl and the grab ass fags who give two shits about that clown show.

its actually big enough that it hangs out front

Edit: also pretty funny that you have your panties in such a wad over this, yet you have a don't tread on me avatar. so you're not for freedom, you're for YOUR freedom
Theres a difference between having panties in a wad, and making fun of an idiot. You make it sound like I'm taking it personally?

Just occured to me.

Thats why theyre giving it to the dist.
Fuck it, its already a loss, dont compound it with more hassle/cost.
So the distributor is already on the hook either way. Once the distributor takes it in we own it. No exceptions and Budweiser is not obligated to take it back in any way.

Sometimes they might as a gesture of good faith but they can and often do tell distributors to get fucked. Beer distribution is a really fucked up business with a lot of shitty things going on.

One of which being we buy from the brewery. Then mark up. Then sell to the store. They mark it up. Then sell to you. We can be on the hook for the stuff that goes out of date in the store either because of state laws or because of company policies. However we cannot hold the brewery to the same thing and make them cover our losses on their product. We have to take it back and either give it to employees or pay to dump it.

Forever. Bud Light will sit on the floors of grocery store alcohol aisles until it sells. It won't taste any different when it sells a year from now.
No it won't. Because it won't be there. The distributors will be on the hook for it and have to take it when it expires. Which is why they are so pissed right now.

You work for an AB distributor or a different distributor?
The short answer is yes to both.:homer: it's a little more complicated than that. Distribution doesn't really work that way. Rights to distribute alcohol are done on a literal brand by brand basis and we trade brands with other distributors all the time. Our parent company is mostly big bud distributors but my little company is a craft company.

We distribute a lot of budweiser stuff but not bud or bud light. However in other states our sister companies do and are the "big fish" in those ponds so to speak. Where I am at there is another company that does the bigger Budweiser stuff and we do the smaller craft brands they own because we are the smaller fish here. However a lot of our guys come from the Budweiser distro here and at the end of the day it is all run and works the same. The only thing different is the scale.

I've been doing this most of my working adult life except a brief stint as a firetruck sales and parts guy and a short time as a mower mechanic. Its a fun and interesting business with a lot of nutty shit behind the scenes. But I like it.

Won't the Bud Lite inventory in the stores just sell down over a week or two?

Distributors won't get "hung" with it will they?
If they can sell it yes. If not then yeah the distributor will be hung with it.

No it won't. Because it won't be there. The distributors will be on the hook for it and have to take it when it expires. Which is why they are so pissed right now.
I’m interested to know when a canned alcoholic beverage expires.

I’m interested to know when a canned alcoholic beverage expires.
Varies by brewery and item. Some things are good for years. Others less than three months. For your average generic light beer like a bud light it usually runs somewhere in the 6 months to a year range to be out of code. Some places have close to code policies that will make the distro take it back even sooner however.

Last edited:
Normally craft beer has a shorter shelf life, the normal shelf life for big breweries is longer on the swill they put out, even then how would you know it was bad? not like it was ever good to begin with.

For your average generic light beer like a bud light it usually runs somewhere in the 6 months range to be out of code.
So in general, do you pull it according to the "best by" date on the bottom of the can?

Normally craft beer has a shorter shelf life, the normal shelf life for big breweries is longer on the swill they put out, even then how would you know it was bad? not like it was ever good to begin with.
Your not wrong.

You mean as in how ling it really lasts, or

Do you pull it according to the "best by" date on the bottom of the can?
Yes. Although you have to be careful because not all dates are best by. Some are "born on" and how long they are good for is something we have to know and keep track of. Meaning an acct may not know it is " expired" but we do and are supposed to offer either an exchange or refund when it hits that date.

Yes. Although you have to be careful because not all dates are best by. Some are "born on" and how long they are good for is something we have to know and keep track of. Meaning an acct may not know it is " expired" but we do and are supposed to offer either an exchange or refund when it hits that date.
But on bud light specifically, the date on the bottom of the can is the pull date, correct?

Also for those who are curious what happens when this shit goes out of code I'll try to explain as best I can. There are a few things that will happen. I have experienced this fairly recently thanks to how COVID out of coded a lot of our beer when we took a huge hit over bars being closed.

Option 1: least likely is Budweiser will say to distributors that hey we fucked up guys just send it back and we will refund or partial refund your cost and handle the destruction and recycling. This almost never happens.
Option 2: everybody forgets about this shit shortly and everything sells just fine. No real harm and scare over.
Option 3: Everything goes out of date. Distributors become required to pick it up and or swap with fresh product for the account. What happens after that is everything out of date will be inventoried. Then forms will be submitted to state alcohol boards notifying them of intent to destroy. Then the kegs will be emptied out on video for evidence for the state and the empty hulls will be returned for the deposit back. The cases will be counted. Loaded on a truck. Pictures will be taken on the truck. Then it will be dumped in a manner like pictured below again on camera for the dicks at the state alchohol board. Budweiser tells distributor eat a whole bag of dicks on getting any money back. Huge losses and attempts at tax write off ensues.
hwt.Screen-Shot-2018-10-18-at-6.08.33-AM.jpeg

Also for those who are curious what happens when this shit goes out of code I'll try to explain as best I can. There are a few things that will happen. I have experienced this fairly recently thanks to how COVID out of coded a lot of our beer when we took a huge hit over bars being closed.

Option 1: least likely is Budweiser will say to distributors that hey we fucked up guys just send it back and we will refund or partial refund your cost and handle the destruction and recycling. This almost never happens.
Option 2: everybody forgets about this shit shortly and everything sells just fine. No real harm and scare over.
Option 3: Everything goes out of date. Distributors become required to pick it up and or swap with fresh product for the account. What happens after that is everything out of date will be inventoried. Then forms will be submitted to state alcohol boards notifying them of intent to destroy. Then the kegs will be emptied out on video for evidence for the state and the empty hulls will be returned for the deposit back. The cases will be counted. Loaded on a truck. Pictures will be taken on the truck. Then it will be dumped in a manner like pictured below again on camera for the dicks at the state alchohol board. Budweiser tells distributor eat a whole bag of dicks on getting any money back. Huge losses and attempts at tax write off ensues.
hwt.Screen-Shot-2018-10-18-at-6.08.33-AM.jpeg
This I had experience with when Revolution Brewery in Chicago had a batch of mislabeled cans and had to recall and destroy it all, the ABV content was wrong (more than double the listed ABV) and that was enough to trigger a recall.

This I had experience with when Revolution Brewery in Chicago had a batch of mislabeled cans and had to recall and destroy it all, the ABV content was wrong (more than double the listed ABV) and that was enough to trigger a recall.
We are currently doing it for a recall on crabbies ginger beer. The assholes put gluten free on the bottles when it isn't. So now we have to take it all back and destroy it because I cannot stress enough about what kind of dicks the state alchohol board hires. I'm pretty sure stuck would be very popular there if that means anything. Fortunately a recall does mean we will get paid for it and the destruction. So I got that going for me which is nice.

Wait till they have to ship all the unsold product back, what do you do 100,000 gallons of shitty beer.
THIS !
i had a friend years ago that made deliveries for Miller he said it cost more to destroy the out of date beer then they made if it sold . we ended up with a lot of " out of date beer "

So in general, do you pull it according to the "best by" date on the bottom of the can?
Wel you’d probably have to open the case on the aisle floor, and your distributor might be unwilling to return the product you can’t sell even more after you open it. I don’t know. I don’t work in distribution.

Wel you’d probably have to open the case on the aisle floor, and your distributor might be unwilling to return the product you can’t sell even more after you open it. I don’t know. I don’t work in distribution.
Date is stamped on the outside of the case somewhere. And yes we would still have to take it in return. Even opened.

Top Back Refresh