What's new

Official IRATE Tire & Wheel Thread

BTT

Nitto K specs, how can one get them?

Also, i run 40" sticky treps and love them. About 1/3 through the tread after 3 years

The wear on my sticky Treps has been great. I ran them till the center was near smooth and recut the center removing the thick rubber between the lugs and they just got better. I bought another set recently cause mine are tiny now but it's the first tire I've been truely happy with for all around here in PA.

.... About 1/3 through the tread after 3 years...

e4bd6d9a1450a3b3e520dbcec175340f.jpg

I will say I have no complaints on my nitto trail grapplers in 40x13.50r17. They have been super tough on a heavy rig.

I will also say my dad is running a set of cooper STT pro in 40x13.50r17 and they are stupid how well they work. Nearly sticky-ish, flexy and so far tough.

I will say I have no complaints on my nitto trail grapplers in 40x13.50r17. They have been super tough on a heavy rig.

I will also say my dad is running a set of cooper STT pro in 40x13.50r17 and they are stupid how well they work. Nearly sticky-ish, flexy and so far tough.
I only ever saw one set of 40" Nitto in action locally and was kind of shocked how bad they were here. We watched this dude flounder around trying to make a climb for probably 15-20 minutes. It seemed as soon as they got wet/muddy they didn't really hook at all. Of course it could have been rig set up, pressure, driver ect. Just curious if they are like that for you?

I only ever saw one set of 40" Nitto in action locally and was kind of shocked how bad they were here. We watched this dude flounder around trying to make a climb for probably 15-20 minutes. It seemed as soon as they got wet/muddy they didn't really hook at all. Of course it could have been rig set up, pressure, driver ect. Just curious if they are like that for you?
IDk, i run Rausch, AOAA, Rock Run, Windrock, etc. and havent had issues. Lol hope it wasnt me. Big GM "truggy" lol

IDk, i run Rausch, AOAA, Rock Run, Windrock, etc. and havent had issues. Lol hope it wasnt me. Big GM "truggy" lol

No, not you:laughing:

Pretty much the same stuff, AOAA, RC, Gore but mostly FRO. My perception is often off since I'm on stickies but I walked right up the climb covered in snot with fresh mud on my near bald tires. I turned around and came back down so we could run him back out and he struggled to get back out too. I've seen others on DOT tires walk right up this spot so we just assumed it was tires that day.

No, not you:laughing:

Pretty much the same stuff, AOAA, RC, Gore but mostly FRO. My perception is often off since I'm on stickies but I walked right up the climb covered in snot with fresh mud on my near bald tires. I turned around and came back down so we could run him back out and he struggled to get back out too. I've seen others on DOT tires walk right up this spot so we just assumed it was tires that day.

Sounds like too much pressure, some people think airing down doesn't do much in mud.

Really wish I had seen the start of this thread before buying my M/T Baja Boss A/T’s.

They are absolutely shit in the snow, unless aired down to 10psi or less. Now I see they can’t handle that. What a shit tire.

Because its been a few months I figured its time to throw a little lighter fluid back on this thread. Im looking for 37s on 17s for a full body street driven yota that plays with buggies. Its had some half tread Pat's on for a little bit and they suck something awful. Grooving made them liveable... but barely.

Tires you don't see much feedback from real crawling:

Maxxis Razr MT- Little feedback out there is good
Yokohama G003 MT- Only ever seen below 35s on land cruisers.
Yokohama X-MT G005- Streetable krawler with sipes?
Kanati Mud Hog- PNW guys seem to like them

MT/Rs did solid on it and I run KM3s in smaller flavors on my other rigs with great results but I want actual 37s without having to pay 39in prices. The X-MT is probably the most interesting for the east coast wheeling we do but compound is key for wet rock. $450 a tire is tough to want to be the guinea pig.

Any new news on the latest tires to come out?

No need to get experimental. For DOT tires you cannot beat the MT/R's or KM3's. I have a couple wheeling buddies who swear by the Maxxis Razr's but that's just a couple data points.

Because its been a few months I figured its time to throw a little lighter fluid back on this thread. Im looking for 37s on 17s for a full body street driven yota that plays with buggies. Its had some half tread Pat's on for a little bit and they suck something awful. Grooving made them liveable... but barely.

MT/Rs did solid on it and I run KM3s in smaller flavors on my other rigs with great results but I want actual 37s without having to pay 39in prices. The X-MT is probably the most interesting for the east coast wheeling we do but compound is key for wet rock. $450 a tire is tough to want to be the guinea pig.

Cooper sst pros. Just bought my 3rd set this year ive been so impressed with them.

I've been struggling with trying to find a 35" / 315 diameter in either a 16" or 17" wheel size that isn't a load E. From my findings, the MT/R is discontinued, Goodyear replaced it with a tire called the "territory". It looks like they copied the KM/3. Currently looking for 5 Maxxis Trep radials. They'd be going on my TJ.

These are just single trips so not great info but more data points. I saw Razrs on a buddies JKU in Moab and wasn't impressed. He was chirping tires where no one else would.

Saw a set of 37" Yoko X-MTs in Hot Springs on a TJ and was very impressed. Once again, only one trip but I was surprised.

BTT

Nitto K specs, how can one get them?

Also, i run 40" sticky treps and love them. About 1/3 through the tread after 3 years

Find a local racer who runs K-specs and buy their used tires. Everyone gets their K-specs from a certain racer here who goes through a shit ton of tires :laughing:

Ran a set of Falken Wildpeaks 285/75R17 on a Tundra Quiet, tracked, balanced, smooth.
Lost a tire from damage. They weren’t in stock anywhere so got a set of 315/70R17 and they could not balance. Shook the whole truck. Found out they were not made in the same place. Replaced with Recon Grapplers in 285/75R17. Two of four are out of round and will not balance, has a shake. A little louder than the Wildpeaks but track better, also a little rougher ride.
QC is garbage with all manufacturers. Make sure you use a shop that can handle a defective tire return.

Priced 5 37 inch Cooper SST Pro's in July, I came back 2 months later to pull the trigger on them... almost $600 more than the quote from 2 months before. Crazy.

I've been struggling with trying to find a 35" / 315 diameter in either a 16" or 17" wheel size that isn't a load E. From my findings, the MT/R is discontinued, Goodyear replaced it with a tire called the "territory". It looks like they copied the KM/3. Currently looking for 5 Maxxis Trep radials. They'd be going on my TJ.
KO2 Load C 35” 315 Raptor/Hummer tire. I’ve ran them on two different vehicles. Only issue is they start to feather cup the outside edge depending on road crown and alignment.

Not that I'm going to do this, just checking my options. I am looking for a 33-35 that is less than a 12.50. Not a lot of options anymore. Someone mentioned using SXS tires on lighter rigs. How light is light? I saw some SXS tires that have a load index of 2200 lbs. Whats the rules or formula for how much your rig weighs compared to what the tires are rated for?

I've seen 35in roxxzillas on an xj that did some really impressive things, but it was fairly stripped. Survived some stellar abuse without sidewall puncture.

UTV tires:
Samurai/Tracker/Willys- Truck Yes!

Usual full body Jeep/Toyota- Maybe if tire wear isn't a concern and weight is managed.

The carcass didn't look or feel much different than say a load range C but the compound was a little softer than even reds or sticky treps.

There was a 37x10 UTV tire just released too that looks fun for a woods only light build.

Last edited:
Not that I'm going to do this, just checking my options. I am looking for a 33-35 that is less than a 12.50. Not a lot of options anymore. Someone mentioned using SXS tires on lighter rigs. How light is light? I saw some SXS tires that have a load index of 2200 lbs. Whats the rules or formula for how much your rig weighs compared to what the tires are rated for?

What are you putting them on?

Mine weighs 2500lbs.

5AE13D24-4CFF-41E3-96C3-84E8FB5B950A.jpeg

I ran some maxxis carnivores on a ~3500 lb rig for a bit with no issues.

The way I look at it is to ask yourself if you're going to be harder on them than those can ams at koh?

Anyone know when nittos are going to be coming off back order? Looking for a DOT 40" tire.

Anyone have experience with the 40" maxxis razr? Are they a true 40? How do they perform? Amazon has them for $520

Anyone have experience with the 40" maxxis razr? Are they a true 40? How do they perform? Amazon has them for $520
I ran them in the 40" on my buggy. No issues. I sold them and got a set of sticky treps for no real reason. They did great. I run them on my FJ40 as well and they work great here on the east coast in all conditions. They run great on the road as well.

I ran them in the 40" on my buggy. No issues. I sold them and got a set of sticky treps for no real reason. They did great. I run them on my FJ40 as well and they work great here on the east coast in all conditions. They run great on the road as well.

Thanks. I'm going to give them a try!

I love my pro comp mt2s they work great down here in the SE, no complaints. 37s on a Toyota truck

I absolutely hated the toyo MTs that I used to have, horrible tire in evrey condition but wet rocks and the street, insanely thick sidewall though.

Not sure how I missed this the first time, but kenda makes a 33x10.50r17 and 35x10.50r17 in a mild mt tread.

I run the 35s on my 96 4runner and really like them. I have done 80 mph down the highway, mild rocks and mud, and been down to 3 psi in snow. They are great in all and seem to be wearing good to boot.

They're a load D fwiw.

Top Back Refresh