What's new

Official IRATE Tire & Wheel Thread

I had kr2 stickies also, great rock tire, but basically the same as my old red label crawlers in the snow. Terrible. DO NOT run the desert kr2(or kr3's assuming they're the same rubber) they are rock hard.

I like the tread. If they came in a non sticky could be a great snow tire grooved

Since this is the tire and wheel thread, I'll ask the typical beadlock wheel question. Besides Hutchinson, any other beadlock wheel out there that is DOT legal? I would go with Hutchinson, but they do not offer a 17" x 9" with less than 4" of backspacing. I'm looking for a wheel with 3.5" to 4" back spacing. I've narrowed my search down to either Method, Ultra or SpyderLock unless someone has a better choice for me to look at.

Mopar makes a "DOT compliant" beadlock but it's more to rip off the morons who don't understand how DOT compliance for parts works than anything else so it's big bucks.

Has anyone ever heard of ANYONE actually getting hassled for beadlocks?

No

I think it’s more of a liability issue after an accident if you’re being sued and the investigator is looking for it. Otherwise there are too many fake beadlocks to tell the difference these days.

If anything causes the accident other than the beadlock coming off then it's not gonna matter. If your a lazy fuckwit and your beadlock comes apart then you deserve to pay up.

The only people who have to worry about liability are beadlock manufacturers who sell a product that doesn't conform to the relevant FMVSS requirements for wheels while simultaneously claiming they do.
At that point, any modification could be used against you.

I believe that if you dig deep enough, pretty much anything you put on your street driven rig should be DOT approved.

The DOT doesn't approve anything. It's on the manufacturers to make parts that comply with the law. There will be a FMVSS that says "part X sold for highway use must have qualities Y" where "Y is often just a reference to a SAE standard.

Last edited:
Sticky SX’s work in the snow. My dad runs those while I have reds. Mine were like having ball bearing tires on steel plates.

my experience is east coast wet stupid granite trails with a couple trips to the hammers.

best all around tough sticky tire, 43’s.

For wheels I was planning on Trail Ready cast flow formed 17” x 8.5” with 4.5” backspacing for $489
I also stumbled upon a sale for some Vision Manx cast 17” x 8.5” with 4.25” backspacing for $288
That saves 1k when buying 5 wheels which I could buy another 3 of the Visions if they broke. So any feedback on the vision. I believe Jason Scherererer and Rob MAC run them but they have the forged versions.

I have been all around thrilled with my 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I know a bunch of other 40's have come out since i bought these what, 6+ years ago, but im about to simply replace them with another set. Nothing else seems to be as good all around for what i do, which is driving my 6400lb pig thousands of miles, wheeling it, and driving it home.

Methods were on sale last I looked for $300 ea.

Personally I prefer the kmc's for a budget tough wheel. The rear lip area is about 3 times thicker than a standard cast aluminum non beadlock. They also have a big square safety bead that helps a lot with inner bead burping at low pressure.

I feel like some of the other companies (like race line) just take their normal non beadlock shell and add a beadlock to the outside. Where, kmc, walker Evans and I'm sure others design the whole wheel for what we do.

For wheels I was planning on Trail Ready cast flow formed 17” x 8.5” with 4.5” backspacing for $489
I also stumbled upon a sale for some Vision Manx cast 17” x 8.5” with 4.25” backspacing for $288
That saves 1k when buying 5 wheels which I could buy another 3 of the Visions if they broke. So any feedback on the vision. I believe Jason Scherererer and Rob MAC run them but they have the forged versions.

The cast visions I’ve seen are holding up well. Scott goforth has the best price on them that I have seen.

After some more research Vision did not loose a wheel at KOH2020 and they ran in all the classes from UTV to T1, granted they were probably running alot of forged, but the wheel is the same design.

How do the non race Nitto M/T handle the cold and rocks?

Did you cut them at all?

I used to run 39.5" PBRs and although they weren't the worst I got rid of them for 43" sticky SXs. At one time, I heard that 42" and above Pitbulls were decent IF you cut the Texas lug out of them. Now depending which camp you're in, some folks don't mind to pay $2500 and then break out the iron to modify them to suit their needs.

No sir, didn't cut them at all and they perform better than other tires I've had in my environment which is only Treps & SuperSwampers. I like them so much I'm getting another set when these won't hold air anymore!

Any real wheelers use the Mickey sticky pro x and have real world feedback?

YouTube has a handful of videos, but they suck and it’s youtubers with sponsored tires…

I wheel New England rocks (field and forest) and bushwack a lot in the hills of Vermont and CT. Avoid mud but sometimes it’s inevitable. Kr2 is the tire, but it sucks in mud/snow, I have heard the kr3 is fantastic in snow. If I am dropping the coin on brand new tires by would like them to be multipurpose four seasons tires. Looking at 37s for my Toyota axle’d samurai.

Fwiw
Even though mine are in 35" size so not of the size requested , my one and first run in dirt and snow fire trails revealed this....
The km3's seemed to not hook on dirt well (10 psi) the drift snow they seemed to hook up good.
I've only had them on for 2 runs, they worked good on the con.

Eta 08/31/23
Wet traction seems good, they ain't stickies but put the falkens on the taco to shame.
Snow, I have no complaints.
What little mud I've been in was fine.
Road manners , just barely louer than the streets.
Last trip into Barrett lake @10 psi on a 4600 # yota they kept burping the sidewalls ( never had a problem with it) .

Last edited:
I had a set of new 39" KM3s I picked up for my jeep last fall. When I got them home they looked really small. Mind you I never mounted the tires, but unmounted they were under 37". When I rolled it next to an unmounted 40" MTR, there was a solid 2" height difference. They looked really small.

I'd toss my hat in the ring for a 17x9 double. 4.5"BS. I call it the Friction Double Beadlock.

JLR.jpg

I had a set of new 39" KM3s I picked up for my jeep last fall. When I got them home they looked really small. Mind you I never mounted the tires, but unmounted they were under 37". When I rolled it next to an unmounted 40" MTR, there was a solid 2" height difference. They looked really small.
I had heard that many times that BFG runs small. That was one of the reasons I passed them up. In order to get near a 40” size you need to go 42” with a 20” wheel and 20” cast wheels don’t hold up so you need to go forged. Then you don’t have enough money to finish the rest of the build and the tires get dry rot before it ever hits the trails.

I mentioned BFG's running small on this site before and got a rash of shit about not knowing what im talking about. I even posted pics of my 33's.....Um I mean 35's and still got shit for it.

:homer:

I been running sticky 40" Treps since 2012 4 seasons in PA. My set have been regrooved twice and are only 37.5 tall now but had no problem in a foot of snow this winter. Now my friend who had water in his tires on 42 Treps struggled but we think it was more from have 4 tires 3/4 full than anything. We typically don't get a ton of deep snow here but there's always some snow and it gets well under 32*. I'll be looking for another set of Treps again soon. Best all around tire I've run IMHO.

Oh and screw Pitbull, 8 of 8 39" Maddogs I owned weeped air right through the sidewalls. I did have a set of Rockers in like 2006 that were good but short once broken in.

I had a cop tell me my beadlocks weren`t DOT approved when he was checking out my rig, he didn`t ticket me for it just smiled and said they were illegal while we were bullshiting.

Bias Iroks are a good option. Yeah, lotta people talk shit about them but they're good in a variety of terrain. Definitely better than any Pitbull tire I've been around.

I had a cop tell me my beadlocks weren`t DOT approved when he was checking out my rig, he didn`t ticket me for it just smiled and said they were illegal while we were bullshiting.

That's a situation where I'd probably end up in jail for talking back. :laughing:

Fuck Tread wright is all I have to say, didn't make it past 9k miles on the set I just bought.

i remember using durometers a super long time ago to measure plastic..

I was actually a machine operator (plastic injection molding).. and for safety reasons the machines utilized robotics a good bit..

yes I understand that a softer rubber material grabs onto surfaces more.. but the tires are still not literally sticky are they??

why aren't they just called "softer" instead of "sticky".. or are those terms interchangeable??

I remember touching slicks when they got heated up.. and they were literally sticky, but offroaders dont want to spin and heat their tires, do they?

Last edited:
My 39" Krawler red labels measure 39" mounted on 9.5" wide Raceline wheels @ 6 psi.

Last edited:
but offroaders dont want to spin and heat their tires, do they?
I was thinking about how when people are trying to climb the side of cliffs, and they spin the hell out of their tires.. are they trying to get their tires hot and sticky for the rocky surfaces.. or something else??

I was thinking about how when people are trying to climb the side of cliffs, and they spin the hell out of their tires.. are they trying to get their tires hot and sticky for the rocky surfaces.. or something else??
If you spin your swampers, pitbulls, ground hawgs until it sounds like bacon frying they are getting "close" to being sticky.

I've been hearing this term since the 90s.. and always wondered.. what makes a tire a "sticky"????
There are different types of stickies now. Some do better than others in cold environments. Some stickies actually perform worse than DOT in cold weather and you can damage them running them in the cold. Most documentation says around 70*F is the min temps for stickies.

Top Back Refresh