What's new

IRATE Tire & Wheel Thread

20221116_095509(1).jpg
Tires came today. Size seems accurate. Hopefully they perform well.
20221116_100343.jpg
20221116_100246.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 40x13.5r17 baja boss. Non sticky

Multiple leaks on this tire from the cracks.

Called Mickey Thompson. They said even 10 psi is way too low to run these tires even off-road(10psi in snow is bullshit). They also said these cracks are from the cold and low pressure. Draw your own conclusions

Damn, I remember you saying you didn't like them, but forgot about this.

I saw they came out with 42s for 17s and 44s for 20s and thought they'd be badass snow tires.

I feel like mickey thompson has just been shit for a long time now.

Damn, I remember you saying you didn't like them, but forgot about this.

I saw they came out with 42s for 17s and 44s for 20s and thought they'd be badass snow tires.

I feel like mickey thompson has just been shit for a long time now.

My Baja Legend EXP’s are great.

My Baja Legend EXP’s are great.

Really? :flipoff2:

Really wish I had seen the start of this thread before buying my M/T Baja Boss A/T’s.

They are absolutely shit in the snow, unless aired down to 10psi or less. Now I see they can’t handle that. What a shit tire.

Edit: wait, are these 2 different tires? You bought more than 1 set? :laughing::flipoff2:

It's hard for me to believe that those 40s could start cracking from running too low. People do this with every large tire brand there is with 99% no issues. I did mess up a set of 35 mtrk's. I liked running 2 psi in deep snow, but I think the problem was that I would often turn around and drive down the mountain a bit before airing up.

Also 2psi in a 35x12.50 is probably similar to 0.5 psi or less in a 40 as far as how much the tire flexes.

So who's running 42" radial tires? Most are fairly new except pit bull, irok and mtrk.

Patagonias, nitto, baja boss and apparently gladiator x comp have 42s now and I'm curious what peoples thoughts are?

I kinda don't want 20s, but I think 42s are big enough that it would be OK and the rbp 20" beadlocks are pretty affordable.

Just saw that discount tire has the 42 mtrk listed for $514 ea, not sure if it's a mistake or what as I thought they were almost double that now.

Side note, tires are :barf: expensive :barf: 4wp has 42 trep stickies listed at $1600 EACH:eek:

Side note, tires are :barf: expensive :barf: 4wp has 42 trep stickies listed at $1600 EACH:eek:

It's out of control, it's not just off road tires either. Got a pinhole in a sidewall on the girls car and the replacement tire was nearly double what I paid a few years ago.

It's out of control, it's not just off road tires either. Got a pinhole in a sidewall on the girls car and the replacement tire was nearly double what I paid a few years ago.
Should have patched/plugged it.

So who's running 42" radial tires? Most are fairly new except pit bull, irok and mtrk.

Patagonias, nitto, baja boss and apparently gladiator x comp have 42s now and I'm curious what peoples thoughts are?

I kinda don't want 20s, but I think 42s are big enough that it would be OK and the rbp 20" beadlocks are pretty affordable.

Just saw that discount tire has the 42 mtrk listed for $514 ea, not sure if it's a mistake or what as I thought they were almost double that now.

To expand on this, the mtr's are back ordered, not sure why they dropped the price.

These look OK, can't find much on these tires though.

As an authorized Maxxis Dealer I would be more than happy to sell anyone here 42" Treps stickies for $1250 each as long as they have them in stock. Currently my warehouse has 10 in stock! Talk about a large mark up from 4wp!

btw I am in Richmond VA

As an authorized Maxxis Dealer I would be more than happy to sell anyone here 42" Treps stickies for $1250 each as long as they have them in stock. Currently my warehouse has 10 in stock! Talk about a large mark up from 4wp!

btw I am in Richmond VA

Thats a fair discount. I just don't get why they went up almost double since I looked last.

So I thought I'd add some info here on sxs tires on light rigs.

I convinced my father in law to put a set of 32" system3 xcr350s on his flat fender. He finally got around to taking it for a spin and said it felt like the front end was going to fall apart at 20 mph. Took the tires to les schwab to see if maybe some balancing would help.

He said the tires had like 4" of run out :laughing: and ended up putting them on a set of cooper's that fixed the issue.

So what I'm getting out of it is that not all sxs tires work well for what we do. I've had my maxxis at about 65 and they aren't perfect, but I'm on weld on beadlocks. I'm pretty sure JR4X has had his itp's even faster. FleshEater also drives his on the road.

What I don't get is that just because they're sxs tires doesn't guarantee that they are driven slowly. With as bad as those system3 were, I'd think you'd notice that on any type of hard surface.

I didn't see any representation from the Mickey Thompson Baja pro XS (non stickie bias ply).
40x13.5x17 on a 17x8 rim.
They measured 39.625 at 12 psi, and measure about 38" ish at 5 psi. I only have one run on them, but wet and not broke in they were hooking up way better than I was expecting!

321794089_891350188701878_7270191119830967300_n.jpg

I didn't see any representation from the Mickey Thompson Baja pro XS (non stickie bias ply).
40x13.5x17 on a 17x8 rim.
They measured 39.625 at 12 psi, and measure about 38" ish at 5 psi. I only have one run on them, but wet and not broke in they were hooking up way better than I was expecting!

If you want a true diameter, measure horizontally on the tire.

For myself, I've found that you measure on level ground the radius from the center of the hub straight down to the ground. Take that measurement and multiply it by two to get what your vehicle actually sees for the diameter of the tire. This measurement works for the speedometer and GPS to match on my vehicle. All other methods of measurements were off too much.

For myself, I've found that you measure on level ground the radius from the center of the hub straight down to the ground. Take that measurement and multiply it by two to get what your vehicle actually sees for the diameter of the tire. This measurement works for the speedometer and GPS to match on my vehicle. All other methods of measurements were off too much.

For speedo yes, you're right.

But for comparison with other tires, I think horizontal is best.

Reactions: Clb
I'm not sure what your meaning by that, but when I measure a tire height I just take a 2' level, set it on the top of the tire and measure to the floor.

explain horizontal measurement

sounds easy but i am missing the point

Hold your tape flat with the ground.

I'm not sure what your meaning by that, but when I measure a tire height I just take a 2' level, set it on the top of the tire and measure to the floor.

There's too many factors with wieght, pressure ect. Imo, measuring horizontally is a better way to compare to other tires.

I just measure tires with no weight at 30psi, that way it's always a direct comparison. Adding vehicle weight, random pressures ect. cause to many variances. Doesn't matter if it's upright or laid down either as long as you have a level to make sure you're not measuring crooked.

Hold your tape flat with the ground.

There's too many factors with wieght, pressure ect. Imo, measuring horizontally is a better way to compare to other tires.

I got you. I'll have the tires off the jeep soon and I'll measure them then.

Any new info?

I've pretty much given up on 42s. As long as I have a a true 40, I think I'll be good.

Seems like the popular ones right now are the nitto MT, maxxis razr, Cooper sst pros and the Patagonia Mt.

The nitto and Cooper being in the $550ea range, maxxis about $470 and pats at $400.

There is also 40 all terrains coming in at under $300 ea......:laughing:

Glad to read this thread....was also thinking Baja Boss MTs in a 40" for a street driven 4Runner on 1 Tons.....reading this: going back to my original plan of Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Glad to read this thread....was also thinking Baja Boss MTs in a 40" for a street driven 4Runner on 1 Tons.....reading this: going back to my original plan of Nitto Trail Grapplers.

One thing that turns me away from the nittos is wieght, they seem to be on the heavy side. But also on the tough side.

I'd love to see wieghts of these popular 40s.

Running tons....not sure weight should be a factor for me, lol....but I get your point.

Running tons....not sure weight should be a factor for me, lol....but I get your point.

Rotating mass is an enormous factor, especially when it's a tire.

I can't remember his name, but there was a guy with a silver 4 door tacoma on 1 tons who went from fairly bald 40" nittos to new 39" km3's and said it was very noticeable driving on the road.

Then there is also the plyability is a factor for me. Even the C rated toyos I've been around don't really bulge and wrap around obstacles at low pressure unless you have a big heavy rig.

Maybe if you have a big V8, it doesn't matter as much, but for us 4cyl and V6 peasants, it does. :flipoff2:

Rotating mass is an enormous factor, especially when it's a tire.

I can't remember his name, but there was a guy with a silver 4 door tacoma on 1 tons who went from fairly bald 40" nittos to new 39" km3's and said it was very noticeable driving on the road.

Then there is also the plyability is a factor for me. Even the C rated toyos I've been around don't really bulge and wrap around obstacles at low pressure unless you have a big heavy rig.

Maybe if you have a big V8, it doesn't matter as much, but for us 4cyl and V6 peasants, it does. :flipoff2:
No, as I said...l totally get your point. Stopping heavier tires as well as getting them rolling especially with a 3.4L V6 (even with 5.38s) makes a huge difference. I guess I'm just accepting the fact that it'll be a dog regardless of tire weight.

Top Back Refresh