What's new

IRATE Tire & Wheel Thread

I tried getting a price with go forth, through email, sent me the prices for the wrong tire, then asked for my number so he could call and never called. Maybe I could have followed up, but it didn't inspire me to send $4k to them.

Can you send me his email? I've left 4 Voicemails now with no call back:laughing:

East Coast wheeling, aggressive right foot, 5100lb rig. Spent about 5 years on 39" Reds @ about 6psi, loved them until they started losing entire tread blocks, exposing the steel belts. Traction was awesome, tires folded over rocks really well, and never had a sidewall fail. Rig was absolutely point and shoot. I would have replaced them with 42" for 17" wheel if available.
Switched to 40" K Spec Nittos @ 6 lbs, have been happy over the last year and a half. Traction isn't as good as the Red, rig isn't as point and shoot, but really like additional height and durability. They're tough as nails, and hook up good enough.

Last edited:
East Coast wheeling, aggressive right foot, 5100lb rig. Spent about 5 years on 39" Reds @ about 6psi, loved them until they started losing entire tread blocks, exposing the steel belts. Traction was awesome, tires folded over rocks really well, and never had a sidewall fail. Rig was absolutely point and shoot. I would have replaced them with 42" for 17" wheel if available.
Switched to 40" K Spec Nittos @ 6 lbs, have been happy over the last year and a half. Traction isn't as good as the Red, rig isn't as point and shoot, but really like additional height and durability. They're tough as nails, and hook up good enough.

Where do you buy K Spec Nittos?

Bump, planning ahead for new tires as it looks like the pro comp mt2s that I love are getting hard to find and only being made in brodozer sizes now:mad3:. I am looking for info on blue label krawlers, I don't see much out there. The trucks a 2002 Tacoma that gets driven between 3-8hrs on the highway to get to the trails, hits moderate to hard trails then driven home, and around town a few days a week, so MAYBE 5k miles a year. This is in the SE, but don't want a swamper or a sticky because of the street driving, and honestly the pro comps do better a lot of the time than the swampers aired down nice and low and crawling. Also looking to stay on 37s. Nittos kind of sucks down here, not impressed by the maxxis razors watching them on similar rigs.

Bump, planning ahead for new tires as it looks like the pro comp mt2s that I love are getting hard to find and only being made in brodozer sizes now:mad3:. I am looking for info on blue label krawlers, I don't see much out there. The trucks a 2002 Tacoma that gets driven between 3-8hrs on the highway to get to the trails, hits moderate to hard trails then driven home, and around town a few days a week, so MAYBE 5k miles a year. This is in the SE, but don't want a swamper or a sticky because of the street driving, and honestly the pro comps do better a lot of the time than the swampers aired down nice and low and crawling. Also looking to stay on 37s. Nittos kind of sucks down here, not impressed by the maxxis razors watching them on similar rigs.
Cooper sst pro's are my new favorite tire as of about 5 years ago. It's been a long time since I've ran the pro comps and remember them working fine but never giving them much thought. The cooper's impress me everywhere compared to all other options.

Cooper sst pro's are my new favorite tire as of about 5 years ago. It's been a long time since I've ran the pro comps and remember them working fine but never giving them much thought. The cooper's impress me everywhere compared to all other options.
The center lugs don't clean out down here

What about non sticky treps? If you're OK with bias

Those new yoko's look like they would clean out well with the giant ass lugs, but they sure are proud of them.

What about non sticky treps? If you're OK with bias

Those new yoko's look like they would clean out well with the giant ass lugs, but they sure are proud of them.
The geolander MT? The one that looks like an actual mud tire, not the dick tread pattern?

You tell me :flipoff2:

I've seen guys running the dick tread ones in the pnw and liking them, which is similar to south east conditions.
Dick tires suck, I have a friend who can't wait to get rid of them.

So which one is it Mr cryptic?

Patagonia's (non-black label) MTs? The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT (non-stickies)? Just two I've considered but am likely going Nitto Trail Grappler or Toyo Open Country MT. Blue Labels would be nice....but $$$. I like the look of the Baja Boss MT but have read here on IBB about issues with MT not honoring the warranty when there were problems. I guess if you price match through Discount/Tire Pros....you could get certs and not have too much trouble with that issue.

Yokohamas are good tires....but seem to wear fast, which may mean the tread's soft...so could be a good choice for a trail tire. The regular Geolander MT pattern Yoko is decent looking IMO; similar to the Toyo OC MT.

1722706390942.png

I like this Khumo tread design:
1722706637710.png

but with an F2 sidewall rating...I'd be skeptical it would work on the trail. Odd choice in rating for a 37" tire....great for a 3/4T on 1T truck (that sorely need higher rated "big" sizes), but the treads awfully aggressive for a truck that size.

Last edited:
Dick tires suck, I have a friend who can't wait to get rid of them.

So which one is it Mr cryptic?

I don't buy into tread designs being everything, I think most "dick tires" have been aimed at brodozers. Which most likely means hard tread and stiff carcass.
The new geos don't seem to be that way?

I wish I could give first hand knowledge, but was just throwing them both out there. I figured the dick tread ones were kinda between a krawer and nitto mud grappler and would work well back east for a radial

I don't buy into tread designs being everything, I think most "dick tires" have been aimed at brodozers. Which most likely means hard tread and stiff carcass.
The new geos don't seem to be that way?

I wish I could give first hand knowledge, but was just throwing them both out there. I figured the dick tread ones were kinda between a krawer and nitto mud grappler and would work well back east for a radial
They are pretty bad around here, even aired down to below 5psi. I have a friend with an XJ on 37s and those tires don't stick to anything regardless of conditions. Normally we all joke around in our wheeling group about tires as we are all wheeling with different ones, but we tell him seriously you need new tires lol. He just bought some sticky mickeys, so that problem is solved.

The non dick tread geolander looks interesting and good to hear it's on the softer side. I need a softer tire so I can air my tires up some more and get some ground clearance back. I run my mt2s at like 2psi and they wrap and hook up great, but I'm dragging my diffs everywhere.

The non dick tread geolander looks interesting and good to hear it's on the softer side. I need a softer tire so I can air my tires up some more and get some ground clearance back. I run my mt2s at like 2psi and they wrap and hook up great, but I'm dragging my diffs everywhere.
I can't say for sure this latest version of the Geolander MT is soft (in terms of compound, not necessarily carcass) just that the older ones were. Might try going by someplace that has some in stock and twist a lug. I haven't even checked the sidewall rating....

Just checked...D2 for the 17" version of 37s...same for 40s.

I can't say for sure this latest version of the Geolander MT is soft (in terms of compound, not necessarily carcass) just that the older ones were. Might try going by someplace that has some in stock and twist a lug. I haven't even checked the sidewall rating....

Just checked...D2 for the 17" version of 37s...same for 40s.
Do you happen to have a chart or a link to what the sidewall rateings mean? I'm ready to nerd out lol

Dave Chappell ran with Yokohama Geolander X-MT on his Mazda pick up. During a message swap on IG, I didn't get the impression he was all that stoked by them. For what it's worth.

Yea they objectively suck ass, have seen them in person.
Interesting since the tread pattern is like a "ribbed" krawler. I was 50/50 on those and the Razrs since there is very little info out on either for actual hard use. Razrs won out luckily. Hard choices for East coast dual purpose rigs.

Interesting since the tread pattern is like a "ribbed" krawler. I was 50/50 on those and the Razrs since there is very little info out on either for actual hard use. Razrs won out luckily. Hard choices for East coast dual purpose rigs.
compressed_1715601424341.jpg

Dry at Harlan, sucked, wet at AOP, sucked, dry at hawk pride worked fine but everything works there when it's dry.

The taco in the background has razrs, and they are ok, they clump up with mud though, however that could be a driver thing since he's afraid to gas it and clean them out and insists on crawling everything in double low. IMO you made a good choice avoiding the dick tires.:laughing:

How easily did they clean out in the mud?

Why not just do the Drag Week thing? Get yourself a small trailer and haul stickies to the trail. You can run better street 40’s to the trail and swap them at base camp. Problem solved for crap tires. :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh