What's new

OE Electric Parking Brake bible: We're looking at different rotors, add on parking brakes and also integrated electric parking brakes.

I milled some 1/2" aluminum today to make a spacer for these Tesla calipers. The stock Tesla rotor is 28mm and the F250 rotor is 38, so I made a .400" spacer, which is ~.006" bigger than 10mm.

IMG_5116.jpeg

I clamped the inboard caliper half to it to mark the outline.

IMG_5120.jpeg

I trimmed it down to size.

IMG_5122.jpeg

I bought some bolts that are 10mm longer and bolted it all together.

IMG_5123.jpeg
IMG_5124.jpeg
IMG_5125.jpeg

I'm hoping to start fabbing a bracket this week to see if this dumbass idea will work.

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5123.jpeg
    IMG_5123.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
I milled some 1/2" aluminum today to make a spacer for these Tesla calipers. The stock Tesla rotor is 28mm and the F250 rotor is 38, so I made a .400" spacer, which is ~.006" bigger than 10mm.

IMG_5116.jpeg

I clamped the inboard caliper half to it to mark the outline.

IMG_5120.jpeg

I trimmed it down to size.

IMG_5122.jpeg

I bought some bolts that are 10mm longer and bolted it all together.

IMG_5123.jpeg
IMG_5124.jpeg
IMG_5125.jpeg

I'm hoping to start fabbing a bracket this week to see if this dumbass idea will work.
If you are willing to make more, I would buy a set.

Can probably do that for the other calipers, too.

I was wrong in that they don't pass fluid internally... they're single pistons, durh.

Before you added the spacer, do you know if the caliper would be able to squeeze all the way down on a 1/4" thick rotor? Wondering if this would make a good t-case brake upgrade...

Before you added the spacer, do you know if the caliper would be able to squeeze all the way down on a 1/4" thick rotor? Wondering if this would make a good t-case brake upgrade...

If it can't, I could see you being able to slide an aluminum spacer the shape of the pad backing plate onto the pins between the outer pad and outer caliper half to narrow the gap

Mine showed up the other day. I just put power to them and got them down to .200” between the pads before I chickened out. The seal pops off the piston a good ways before it makes it out that far but it popped right back in when I retracted them.

1.180 between the pads with the piston fully retracted on the one I just played with. One of the pads was a little thinner than the other so that number may change. I think I’ll make either a 3/16” or 1/4” spacer for my 1.25” rotors.

Good info, thanks! In my case, I know Wilwood makes calipers that are specifically for thin rotors, substantially more expensive, though... May be worth it, they look easier to package than the Tesla. More research required.

Good info, thanks! In my case, I know Wilwood makes calipers that are specifically for thin rotors, substantially more expensive, though... May be worth it, they look easier to package than the Tesla. More research required.
The Tesla stuff is not small for sure. The actuator motor sticks way off the backside. There’s a measurement of that a few posts back. That might be what kills this idea on my Jeep. I’m going to try to slip the motor between the shock and air bump but it’s gonna be tight if it works. If I can’t get them crammed in the jeep I’ll save them for the floater 9” in my C10. Packaging the Wilwood stuff looks like it would be way easier if you’re tight on space.

I added some more rotors to the sheet.

I'm going to share it here:

My Tesla calipers should show up soon. I will get the measurements for F-150 calipers when I take my 14 Bolt apart for the Tesla stuff.

Good point, and good idea. I think I will have to invest in one of these calipers to see if I can fit it on the t-case brake mount.

I just thought about it again, if you want the ultra quick and dirty method, get another set of ebrake pads for ~$40-$60 bucks, and use those as your spacers :lmao:. Hack, definitely. But would probably work great for an ebrake lol

Who bought the calipers from EV West? I coulda sworn they were $125 for the pair. Am I remembering it wrong, or did this thread cause enough demand that they jacked the price up to $225?

Who bought the calipers from EV West? I coulda sworn they were $125 for the pair. Am I remembering it wrong, or did this thread cause enough demand that they jacked the price up to $225?

Oh bummer, I definitely recall $125 too, I was going to buy a set just to get around to at some point.

Oh bummer, I definitely recall $125 too, I was going to buy a set just to get around to at some point.
My understanding is that EV West parts out wrecked Teslas, so this is probably not their primary product, and when they saw 3 of the 4 sets fly off the shelf they raised their pricing. Damn market forces. Now if we never buy them, maybe they'll come down.

My EV West order was about $134 and then they invoiced me $18 for shipping.
It’s not here yet

If you are willing to make more, I would buy a set.
I'd love to if I could manufacture more time. Time is the most valuable commodity in my life. I can barely get my own shit done.

It’s not here yet
Mine were $145 shipped to my door.

It’s not here yet

Mine were $145 shipped to my door.
Mine were $125 and then they invoiced me for another $24for shipping. I found their eBay listing before I bought them off the website and it was for $250.

Last edited:
Confirmed today that the Aptiv 54200409 (formerly Delphi) plugs are the right ones. I ended up buying them from this place because waytek wanted something ridiculous to ship a couple of plugs.

IMG_7362.jpeg IMG_7363.jpeg

Very cool, I just read thru this

Looks like y'all got it sorted

Don't overlook grinding down new rotors, or use half worn out pads. I had to do that to put disc's on the front of a closed knuckle highboy. Not ideal for a tow rig, but might be a low buck solution for a wheeler

Very cool, I just read thru this

Looks like y'all got it sorted

Don't overlook grinding down new rotors, or use half worn out pads. I had to do that to put disc's on the front of a closed knuckle highboy. Not ideal for a tow rig, but might be a low buck solution for a wheeler
Don't do any of those.

This shit can be simple enough to draw up in CAD. Draw in CAD, post DXF file, send to SendCutSend.

I got my tesla caliper bracket rough cut and it all seems to fit pretty well with the 2015 F250 rear caliper. I still need to relieve the inside so it clears the axle tube but it all fits like this. I ordered a set of the connectors from aliexpress so some chinese kid will probably get those made in the next week or so.
IMG_5152.jpeg
IMG_5153.jpeg

If something happens to the power supply, or motor dies in lock position, will the brake release when drive section is removed? Im thinking it does just want a clear answer.

Looking at YJLOPES pic, it looks like you could mill down the non piston side to make the caliper narrower. Yes?

Top Back Refresh