What's new

OE Electric Parking Brake bible: We're looking at different rotors, add on parking brakes and also integrated electric parking brakes.

What's the year and model of this Caddy rotor people keep talking about?
Scroll up.

And the Caddy rotor will fit the F-150, RAM and Chevy 1500s with a 20mm thich rotor (.800 thick). The Tesla caliper is for 30mm rotors will not work.

Update - I have one of these on the way.
  • Step 1 is a mounting bracket (big bearing 9" and a 14 bolt since I have those already)
  • Step 2 is figuring out how I want to control this in an idiot-proof manor.
  • Step 3 actually making this work

I will likely use an Arduino measuring amperage draw from Hall Effect triggers downstream from an H-Bridge controller. This is where I can quickly figure out caliper position if someone inadvertently hits the direction on the switch when the caliper is already in the correct position. It appears that this is basically a power window driver.

• Step 1 is a mounting bracket (big bearing 9" and a 14 bolt since I have those already)
  • Step 2 is figuring out how I want to control this in an idiot-proof manor.
  • Step 3 actually making this work

I will likely use an Arduino measuring amperage draw from Hall Effect triggers downstream from an H-Bridge controller. This is where I can quickly figure out caliper position if someone inadvertently hits the direction on the switch when the caliper is already in the correct position. It appears that this is basically a power window driver.

The arduino could honestly be a fun exercise like my fan controller project, but probably the hard way about it in the same regard. The power window driver you mentioned was actually in that video on the first page of this thread, seems like a super elegant solution

I found this interesting for controlling the electric parking brake.
I also saw the Pantara controller, but this looks really simple.

One of what?

If the Tesla calipers and Caddy rotors, I am in for both big bearing 9" and 14Bolt brackets.

I already have a controller in mind.

Last edited:
In for more info. Have a few projects this would fit perfectly with

Or just use a momentary contact switch and let off when the lights dim...low tech 🤣

One of what?

If the Tesla and Caddy rotors, I am in for both big bearing 9" and 14Bolt brackets.

I already have a controller in mind.
F-150 calipers. I don't have room to put 2 sets of calipers on.

The window style controller will not work with the hydraulic and electric caliper.

That is a screaming deal.

That's just a park brake, as in you need two calipers per rotor.

Would not be bad on a t-case.
Yep, I get that. I ordered a pair, we'll see if it’s a scam. I have an idea using 2 calipers that may meet all of my wants with the compromise of 2 calipers, a decent trade in my mind.

Plus calipers & rotors from elsewhere for 2015 Ram 2500 as they want $500 just for a loaded caliper. Downtofab have weld on brackets to mount the backing plate too, like $30.

Plus calipers & rotors from elsewhere for 2015 Ram 2500 as they want $500 just for a loaded caliper. Downtofab have weld on brackets to mount the backing plate too, like $30.
How are those electric park brake?

How are those electric park brake?
I didn’t paid attention.

In my defense, saving my face, it can be done :homer:

I went with the wilwood ebrake calipers for 1.25" f250 rotors. The install is super easy. They work great. And they grip at 2500lb of force.

What I really am interested in is if you can use them as cutting brakes. In theory, it's just an electrical signal going to each caliper. So if you setup one caliper per corner and had 4 switches on the dash, then could you have 4 corner control of your brakes to do digs or tank turns or cutting, etc. You would need a differential in your tcase... but in theory it could be fun. I just dunno if 2500lb is enough to hold dual cases on a v6.

No you wouldn't.
If you lock up your rear axles and continue to drive on your front axles, you will need something to differentiate the power between your front and rear axle. Differential, or front and rear drive shaft disconnects, or an "American" style tcase. Sorry for being too vague for your royal higness.

I fucking love this, for the wiring. I don't think we need two calipers. The hydro calipers have the same e-brake provisions. They also look like common spacing.

I like the wiring setup as well.
Is there a ready solution for mounting a hydraulic/electric Tesla caliper on an old 14b?

I like the wiring setup as well.
Is there a ready solution for mounting a hydraulic/electric Tesla caliper on an old 14b?
You’d probably be making something. If you’re cool with weld on brackets, it shouldn’t be hard to mount them. How’s the volume sizing on them compared to the GM D52’s that most of us would already have?

I’m almost more interested in adding the electric only ones as a second caliper. Should be as easy as adding some tabs to my existing caliper brackets. Are the electric ones “splittable” to accommodate thicker rotors? I just measured what’s on mine and they’re 1.25” thick.

You’d probably be making something. If you’re cool with weld on brackets, it shouldn’t be hard to mount them. How’s the volume sizing on them compared to the GM D52’s that most of us would already have?

I’m almost more interested in adding the electric only ones as a second caliper. Should be as easy as adding some tabs to my existing caliper brackets. Are the electric ones “splittable” to accommodate thicker rotors? I just measured what’s on mine and they’re 1.25” thick.
Please read this thread. We talked about splitting Tesla calipers. We also found 8 and 5 lug rotors that would work.

If you look at the weights of the F150's they have some clamping power. Not sure if they can be split, haven't researched them much.

I need to get pin to pin measurements to figure out which brackets would work.

Please read this thread. We talked about splitting Tesla calipers. We also found 8 and 5 lug rotors that would work.

If you look at the weights of the F150's they have some clamping power. Not sure if they can be split, haven't researched them much.

I need to get pin to pin measurements to figure out which brackets would work.
I’ve read it. Responses like yours are the reason I’ve very rarely posted in the 20+ years I’ve been on forums like here and the old place. So thanks for clearing that up for me.

There’s at least two different Tesla calipers being discussed. I’m trying to clarify which ones can be split, which is why I specifically asked about the electric only calipers rather than the electric/hydro Brembo ones. I don’t really feel like buying the ones linked in here just to find out they have no chance of working. If they are, I’d guess making a spacer for a caliper that doesn’t need any type of fluid passages in it should be pretty simple.

The 8 lug routers being talked about are .75” which would require new main calipers in my case. I’m trying to avoid completely starting over on my rear brakes. I’m sure others are as well. If the electric only ones can be made to work on the old 1.25” rotors then I only need to figure out where to mount them.

I looked into the f150 stuff at one point. I don’t remember rotor thickness for them or if they can be split. Next time my wife’s grandfather is around I’ll crawl under his truck again. Area of the pistons was pretty similar to GM D52’S so they may be an option without screwing up an already figured out brake system.

Electric only Tesla has a 3.60” spread to the mounts. I didn’t try to find the electric/hydro dimensions.

I’ve read it. Responses like yours are the reason I’ve very rarely posted in the 20+ years I’ve been on forums like here and the old place. So thanks for clearing that up for me.

There’s at least two different Tesla calipers being discussed. I’m trying to clarify which ones can be split, which is why I specifically asked about the electric only calipers rather than the electric/hydro Brembo ones. I don’t really feel like buying the ones linked in here just to find out they have no chance of working. If they are, I’d guess making a spacer for a caliper that doesn’t need any type of fluid passages in it should be pretty simple.

The 8 lug routers being talked about are .75” which would require new main calipers in my case. I’m trying to avoid completely starting over on my rear brakes. I’m sure others are as well. If the electric only ones can be made to work on the old 1.25” rotors then I only need to figure out where to mount them.

I looked into the f150 stuff at one point. I don’t remember rotor thickness for them or if they can be split. Next time my wife’s grandfather is around I’ll crawl under his truck again. Area of the pistons was pretty similar to GM D52’S so they may be an option without screwing up an already figured out brake system.

Electric only Tesla has a 3.60” spread to the mounts. I didn’t try to find the electric/hydro dimensions.
Responses like yours make me think people can't understand what they read or take notes and want everything spoon fed to them. We've been primarily discussing hydraulic with e-parking brake calipers for the last week or so.

Here's the spoon, open mouth for the choo-choo train! :flipoff2:

We discussed the Tesla Model 3 caliper, which can be split. Has 3 bolts holding it together and is used with different thickness rotors across different chassis and is cheap. It is hydraulic/electric and would work with the Caddy 8 lug rotor. Also seems to have a standard spread for the two mounting bolts. I even included pictures and links to cheap ones:

1709065146253.png

It does include internal fluid passages, but since I have the Caddy rotors coming, I don't plan to split them. Some one else can run that one down, but I've split other Brembo calipers like this, no issues.

There is also a table with all rotor dimensions that includes the F150, no need to get Gramp's Depends in a bunch, crawling under his truck.

Hey look, here's the table from the first page:

LugsCircle (in)Circle (mm)OD (in)Min Thickness (in)Min Thickness (mm)YearMakeModelPosition
65.3149606313513.2280.7874015748202016FordF-150Rear
65.5139.713.2280.7874015748202020GMCSierra 1500Rear
55.5139.713.860.820.322020DodgeRAM1500Rear
86.5165.112.795275590.728346456718.52003CadillacDeville (Limo / Hearse)Rear
55.5139.711.771653540.7874015748201985JeepCJ7Front

Responses like yours make me think people can't understand what they read or take notes and want everything spoon fed to them. We've been primarily discussing hydraulic with e-parking brake calipers for the last week or so.

Here's the spoon, open mouth for the choo-choo train! :flipoff2:

We discussed the Tesla Model 3 caliper, which can be split. Has 3 bolts holding it together and is used with different thickness rotors across different chassis and is cheap. It is hydraulic/electric and would work with the Caddy 8 lug rotor. Also seems to have a standard spread for the two mounting bolts. I even included pictures and links to cheap ones:

It does include internal fluid passages, but since I have the Caddy rotors coming, I don't plan to split them. Some one else can run that one down, but I've split other Brembo calipers like this, no issues.

There is also a table with all rotor dimensions that includes the F150, no need to get Gramp's Depends in a bunch, crawling under his truck.

Hey look, here's the table from the first page:

LugsCircle (in)Circle (mm)OD (in)Min Thickness (in)Min Thickness (mm)YearMakeModelPosition

It would seem you and I are talking about different calipers that have both been discussed in this thread. I’d say it’s a split between the hydraulic with electric parking brake and the electric only parking brake ones in here. My question about splitting calipers was directed at the electric only ones. Specifically these:

So take your choo choo and slam on the electric parking brakes :flipoff2:

Also, after zooming in and looking closer at the ones I just linked, they are Brembos as well and appear to be 2 piece. I’ll wait for the guy a few posts back to report back about actually getting them and I’ll probably order a set for myself.

It would seem you and I are talking about different calipers that have both been discussed in this thread. I’d say it’s a split between the hydraulic with electric parking brake and the electric only parking brake ones in here. My question about splitting calipers was directed at the electric only ones. Specifically these:

So take your choo choo and slam on the electric parking brakes :flipoff2:

Also, after zooming in and looking closer at the ones I just linked, they are Brembos as well and appear to be 2 piece. I’ll wait for the guy a few posts back to report back about actually getting them and I’ll probably order a set for myself.

I specifically did not want to use the Tesla model 3 integrated caliper because it has a miniscule bore size from what I've researched, ~ 1.685" for the Standard TS12 calipers and 1.732" for Upgraded TS13 on 2018+ Model 3. I'm not really sure they would be of any use with 1 ton brakes as the bias would be too heavy towards the front.

I specifically did not want to use the Tesla model 3 integrated caliper because it has a miniscule bore size from what I've researched, ~ 1.685" for the Standard TS12 calipers and 1.732" for Upgraded TS13 on 2018+ Model 3. I'm not really sure they would be of any use with 1 ton brakes as the bias would be too heavy towards the front.

I didn't look in to the specs, but I knew I wanted the big dual piston 1 ton brakes in the rear of my rig, which is what drove me to the separate E-brake caliper. I should have them in my hands on thursday. I'll try to get some pics up by friday of them and maybe even get them split apart to study how to make them fit my 1.5" rotor.

I didn't look in to the specs, but I knew I wanted the big dual piston 1 ton brakes in the rear of my rig, which is what drove me to the separate E-brake caliper. I should have them in my hands on thursday. I'll try to get some pics up by friday of them and maybe even get them split apart to study how to make them fit my 1.5" rotor.
I am interested in seeing more of your setup.

I’m interested in seeing what you end up doing too. Once they show up, could you measure this for me? Or from the inner pad to the back of that motor? It’s pretty tight around my rear axle and the motor sticking out might be an issue on getting them on mine.

IMG_0986.jpeg

I know 4x4toyotatyler has purchased this kit. Not sure if he ever installed them. I believe he’s running wilwood disk brake kit.

Brennan garage has some. Rotor he uses is too thin for me. Not sure if he migrated over here

I wander over every once and a while....I do miss forums....

My conversion was designed for small light early Jeep stuff, it uses the same rotor as my front conversion.

I've done a one off F150 caliper based conversion in a 6 on 5.5 full float application also that turned out well, but it needed 17" wheels also.

The problem with 8-lug is the lack of a good caliper and rotor combo that uses easy to find OE parts. I try and look around at the new stuff every year or so, but haven't seen anything great yet.

Awesome, let me know how that works out.

I think I may have to do something like that on my GPW - the disparity on bore size between front and back would pose a problem with a single 3.375" front caliper (17.89 in²) vs 2.125" rear F-150 (7.09 in²) compared to my current 2.9375" 3/4 ton Chevy rears (13.55 in²). My brakes are perfect now so the only need is for a

This science project is more for my Early Bronco since the emergency brake on that has always been a packaging nightmare.

I wander over every once and a while....I do miss forums....

My conversion was designed for small light early Jeep stuff, it uses the same rotor as my front conversion.

I've done a one off F150 caliper based conversion in a 6 on 5.5 full float application also that turned out well, but it needed 17" wheels also.

The problem with 8-lug is the lack of a good caliper and rotor combo that uses easy to find OE parts. I try and look around at the new stuff every year or so, but haven't seen anything great yet.

Toyota Tacoma rotors would have allowed this to work inside of a 15" wheel. I updated the spreadsheet.

LugsCircle (in)Circle (mm)OD (in)Min Thickness (in)Min Thickness (mm)YearMake ModelPosition
65.5139.711.653543310.7874015748201996ToyotaTacoma 4x4Front

Top Back Refresh